• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What Did You Do Today?

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
I'm like that myself. I've worked night shift before --- quite a bit actually --- and I always liked it.

I never minded the hours, either, until the extended my 10pm-6am shift to 8am. That was too much, especially because other staff came in at 6am. I went from being the only staff to one of several(most of whom were very unfriendly), and that was too much to handle at that hour.

I ended up raising my oldest son on a third shift schedule until school happened. Everyone lectured for years that I was doing the wrong thing, and that he'd have so much trouble adjusting to a 'normal' schedule, but when the time came, he adjusted within a week. The biggest trouble was he wasn't used to such bright sun at recess. We bought him a pair of sun glasses, and he loved those, but eventually he lost the need. He doesn't even remember it anymore.

Same thing when I was traveling: my favorite time to roll into a town was in the wee hours of the morning when everybody else was asleep
There was such a censored peace and calm

That sounds like an awesome experience.

And just like you I always faced sunrise with a sense of foreboding. That's when the world wakes up. All the machines start up again. All the noise, traffic exhaust fumes, . . .

To me, all of a sudden it seemed like the world was suddenly full of a whole bunch of people who would rather be someplace else (probably back in bed. :p )

(oops. Accidentally hit the post button before I meant to. :p)

*Edit: okay finished it.

I never thought about that. You're totally right. I relished the quiet of the night. I have never been the loner type, but I did prefer being with one or two others as opposed to a large group. The night was the time I had my 'people'(who ever they were through the years) to myself. I didn't have to share them with the world, their jobs, their commitments, and I wasn't often interrupted with my own.

I remember walking around different neighborhoods in the middle of the night with friends... everything was so beautifully lit. The shimmering of porch lights on the lawn fountains, the gentle sounds animals make that you can't hear over the commotion of the day...

There's just a different sense of peace things take on at night.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Wow. I bet the neighbours are impressed.

I may try it on the old Peugeot.. but perhaps not. We have a retired mechanic look after it for us on condition he can use it whenever. I can't see a staid old Frenchman driving around in a car like that...
Peugeot? Just hearing that make makes me angry, lol.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
There's just a different sense of peace things take on at night.

I love very early morning, here in summer, about 4 AM, just when the dawn light starts. We were renting a cabin in a National Park one summer, and I went out to the Quiet. A bear, not caring about my peace, or tranquility rushed past me by a few feet. That changed the way I view the Quiet where there are bears.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I have made several unproductive phone calls that have either went to voice mail or could not be completed.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
I took the car to the best mechanic ever. Tough call ... 13 years old, I could probably get 2000, but I hate kijiji selling. So the magic over/under number was 500, his estimate was 600, and I said, what the heck, fix it. Maybe we'll drive it one more year, and then give it to the Kidney Foundation. I really want a new one though. Might as well have one more new one before they take my license for blindness or inability to turn my neck more than 10 degrees.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Did they put you on hold for more than an hour?
The last place to do that was a health care provider I'm not with any longer, because anytime I had to call them I had to set aside two hours of my day because being on hold for 60-90 minutes--with no call back feature--wasn't unusual.
These have mostly been straight to email. The only one that hasn't has been the unemployment department. I haven't got a payment in a month now, and I need that money so I can get a tire so I can get back out driving with more places opening back up and me being fully vaccinated.
I just got a hole of the people I've been trying to get a hold of. One down, three more to go.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
The last place to do that was a health care provider I'm not with any longer, because anytime I had to call them I had to set aside two hours of my day because being on hold for 60-90 minutes--with no call back feature--wasn't unusual.
These have mostly been straight to email. The only one that hasn't has been the unemployment department. I haven't got a payment in a month now, and I need that money so I can get a tire so I can get back out driving with more places opening back up and me being fully vaccinated.
I just got a hole of the people I've been trying to get a hold of. One down, three more to go.

Being on hold is a pain. The guy who invented call back should get a raise.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
It's My Birthday!
Peugeot? Just hearing that make makes me angry, lol.

They make (made) some superb cars. Pity they did a Peugeot and went the wrong way.

Its actually a great little car. Reliable, economical, cheap, handy for short drives to the shops but to uncomfortable for longer drives.

JustGeorge

Staff member
Premium Member
I took the car to the best mechanic ever. Tough call ... 13 years old, I could probably get 2000, but I hate kijiji selling. So the magic over/under number was 500, his estimate was 600, and I said, what the heck, fix it. Maybe we'll drive it one more year, and then give it to the Kidney Foundation. I really want a new one though. Might as well have one more new one before they take my license for blindness or inability to turn my neck more than 10 degrees.

The good ol' van is our youngest car, at 14 years old. My husband has two Luminas that are 30ish years old, and I've got a truck that is 42 years old(it runs, but needs some work).

Yudhi is really upset today because his blanket (you know, the special blanket many two years olds cart around) has been soiled and requires washing. He comes up to me about every 10 minutes and says "blanket?"

We went to my sister's briefly to wish her son a happy birthday. Stayed until a crowd gathered, and then hit the road.

I need to get our vaccines set up one of these days...

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
They make (made) some superb cars. Pity they did a Peugeot and went the wrong way.

Its actually a great little car. Reliable, economical, cheap, handy for short drives to the shops but to uncomfortable for longer drives.
Long time ago, about '83, but mine was a money pit. Canada is not the place to own one, as there were no dealers here.

JustGeorge

Staff member
Premium Member
I did landscaping in a light rain.
That is a less than ideal condition.

But more ideal than a thunderstorm, I'm assuming.

It rained here today, too. It was badly needed, but we didn't catch the fact it was raining immediately, and the dogs got wet. They were fairly indifferent(it was a light rain), but now the house has smelled like wet dog all day.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
But more ideal than a thunderstorm, I'm assuming.

It rained here today, too. It was badly needed, but we didn't catch the fact it was raining immediately, and the dogs got wet. They were fairly indifferent(it was a light rain), but now the house has smelled like wet dog all day.

pe630122.gif

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Here's an interesting story I found for ya. The world record.

15 Hours on Hold With Airline

It sounds like he may have gotten a glitched line.

I was calling a customer service number, and as a test, I wanted to see if it was really true that "calls will be answered in the order they are received." So, I tried calling from a second line a few minutes later, while I was still on hold from the first line. The second line got a quicker answer.

So, whenever they say "calls will be answered in the order they are received," don't believe it.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I still only made contact with one of the things I had to call today.
And I talked to a therapist, and I realized I've done more drugs than I thought as he was asking me not just about usage but more thoroughly asking into individual drugs and classes of drugs.
And I found I still find it very unusual and weird when someone refers to parts of my childhood as abusive and traumatizing.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
It sounds like he may have gotten a glitched line.

I was calling a customer service number, and as a test, I wanted to see if it was really true that "calls will be answered in the order they are received." So, I tried calling from a second line a few minutes later, while I was still on hold from the first line. The second line got a quicker answer.

So, whenever they say "calls will be answered in the order they are received," don't believe it.
Today you made me think you're an *** hole by sharing a story that has piqued my curiosity and wanting to try this for myself to see what happens.:p