• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What did the serpent look like?

tonyt1967

We always see pictures of the serpent in the Garden of Eden represented as a serpent looks, today. But the Bible says in Genesis 3 v14 "And the Lord God said unto the serpent, Because thou hast done this, thou art cursed above all cattle, and above every beast of the field; upon thy belly shalt thou go, and dust shalt thou eat all the days of thy life.'

So before he was cursed he was not on his belly. Was he upright like a man?

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
I believe he probably looked like a man. I would be very surprised to think that he was really a talking snake.

Feathers in Hair

World's Tallest Hobbit
*is re-reading "Good Omens" *

He's a man who wears dark sunglasses, drives a Bentley, and has a tendancy to not blink very much.

Feathers in Hair

World's Tallest Hobbit
I loved it when he called Aziraphale "Angel"! (Can't believe I don't have the book handy, or I'd quote the passage where the woman determines she has nothing to fear from the two because of that.)

*remembers topic and tries to get back on it*

Malus 12:9

Temporarily Deactive.
A serpent does not necessarily mean a snake. Whilst often it is referred to as a snake, the serpent may consist of many forms, even dragon like, or perhaps the Loch Ness monster.
(Sea Serpent), because of the reptilian likeness. However if in the Garden of Eden, it could take many forms, for many different beings were possible.

The following is a picture of a would-be serpent on a site familiar to a member here:

skorsake_demon.jpg

Merlin

Malus01 said:
A serpent does not necessarily mean a snake. Whilst often it is referred to as a snake, the serpent may consist of many forms, even dragon like, or perhaps the Loch Ness monster.
If the serpents look frightening and evil, it would be highly unlikely that a naive young woman would listen. It is far more likely it appeared in a friendly and believable form. Maybe it appeared as an old lady, maybe it was disguised as an angel, maybe another girl.

Throughout history we have always represented evil (including the Devil) as an awful looking thing. it is more likely the Devil looks like some church minister or somebody's grandmother. Then we believe them.

ThisShouldMakeSense

Genesis 3:1
Now the serpent was more crafty than any other beast of the field that the LORD God had made.

Note, it says beasts of the field. it was an animal.
Then look at 3:14
'The LORD God said to the serpent,

"Because you have done this,
cursed are you above all livestock
and above all beasts of the field;
on your belly you shall go,
and dust you shall eat
all the days of your life.'

Again, God refers to it as livestock. However, God knew who was behind, or controlling the serpent, much like a ventriloquist does a puppet. So god was actually speaking to Satan.

Malus 12:9

Temporarily Deactive.
If the serpents look frightening and evil, it would be highly unlikely that a naive young woman would listen.
She may listen if she is afraid and does what Satan says to avoid the thought of being slain.

t is more likely the Devil looks like some church minister or somebody's grandmother..Then we believe them.
You might. Then again, Adam and Eve were not created (originally) with the greatest intelligence, were they?

we have always represented evil (including the Devil) as an awful looking thing.
I am glad your "we" defines everyone...

Maybe it appeared as an old lady
As tempting as it was....I won't...:p

SoyLeche

meh...
Merlin said:
If the serpents look frightening and evil, it would be highly unlikely that a naive young woman would listen. It is far more likely it appeared in a friendly and believable form. Maybe it appeared as an old lady, maybe it was disguised as an angel, maybe another girl.

Throughout history we have always represented evil (including the Devil) as an awful looking thing. it is more likely the Devil looks like some church minister or somebody's grandmother. Then we believe them.
Why would someone who had only ever seen one other human being think that an old lady was more trustworthy than a dragon?

But that's beside the point. I believe the term "serpent" is more figureative than anything. The devil pretty much looks like one of us, (not that I've ever seen him :) )

Harvster

From memory according to most scientists’ snakes once did have legs. However evidence of only two legs has been found. These unformed organs are said to be underneath their flesh and are located at the rear of the snake. This they say explains why snakes are able to sit upright whereas other reptiles can't. Biologists have also found that the snake contains the same HOX genes as chickens however lost this somewhere in history. Ancient literature often describes snakes as having legs and wings and they believe that the ancient literature may have been correct.

Deut 13:1

tonyt1967 said:
We always see pictures of the serpent in the Garden of Eden represented as a serpent looks, today. But the Bible says in Genesis 3 v14 "And the Lord God said unto the serpent, Because thou hast done this, thou art cursed above all cattle, and above every beast of the field; upon thy belly shalt thou go, and dust shalt thou eat all the days of thy life.'

So before he was cursed he was not on his belly. Was he upright like a man?
Why does it matter?

Aqualung

Tasty
Merlin said:

That serpent only looks evil because you know evil. Adam and Eve knew neither good nor evil. They couldn't just look at that and think, "wow, that looks evil!" because they had no knowlege of evil.

Aqualung

Tasty
Katzpur said:
I believe he probably looked like a man. I would be very surprised to think that he was really a talking snake.
He looked like a man? Then God would have created three beings in his image.:areyoucra

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Aqualung said:
That serpent only looks evil because you know evil. Adam and Eve knew neither good nor evil. They couldn't just look at that and think, "wow, that looks evil!" because they had no knowlege of evil.
Very good point Aqualung; at the time, there was peace and harmony in the garden of eden; Adam and Eve lived surrounnded by animals - they would not have been afraid of them - not until tha first bite of that blasted apple...

ThisShouldMakeSense

michel said:
Very good point Aqualung; at the time, there was peace and harmony in the garden of eden; Adam and Eve lived surrounnded by animals - they would not have been afraid of them - not until tha first bite of that blasted apple...

Fruit! It was a Fruit! No mention of an Apple! It's not flippin' snow white! :help: