• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What did paul mean?Need answer from jehovah's witnesses

Frank Goad

In 2 Timothy 4:6 and Philippians 1:19-26.What did paul mean he wanted to depart?I thought paul didn't believe in the soul going to heaven.:( Because doesn't Psalms 146:4 say otherwise?

leov

In 2 Timothy 4:6 and Philippians 1:19-26.What did paul mean he wanted to depart?I thought paul didn't believe in the soul going to heaven.:( Because doesn't Psalms 146:4 say otherwise?
Paul speaks of the true home that he visited and knew , wanted depart there.

Nimos

He didn't want to depart, he is in jail and is not certain whether he will live or die.

19 for I know that through your prayers and God’s provision of the Spirit of Jesus Christ what has happened to me will turn out for my deliverance.

Which could explain why he say that he is being pull at from both sides.

23 I am torn between the two: I desire to depart and be with Christ, which is better by far;

And maybe what he is expressing to those he write, is that, if he is killed then he will be in good hands with Christ and that this is obviously not a bad thing and maybe that he is not afraid, should he be killed. But that he prefer to stay and complete his work and help them:

24 but it is more necessary for you that I remain in the body. 25 Convinced of this, I know that I will remain, and I will continue with all of you for your progress and joy in the faith, 26 so that through my being with you again your boasting in Christ Jesus will

Psalms doesn't seem to refer to all humans in general, if you read it in contexts:

2 I will praise the Lord all my life;
I will sing praise to my God as long as I live.
3 Do not put your trust in princes,
in human beings, who cannot save.
4 When their spirit departs, they return to the ground;
on that very day their plans come to nothing.

So Psalms refer to princes or people of power and humans maybe claiming they are able to save you. But that "their" plans will come to nothing. Because as you read on:

5 Blessed are those whose help is the God of Jacob,
whose hope is in the Lord their God.

Personally I don't think what Paul is talking about, have a lot to do with what Psalms are talking about. But might be wrong. But that those in verse 5, who put their trust in God, as it is "whose hope is in the Lord their God" will be blessed. But again Im not really sure, that is just how it seems to me :)

Last edited:

leov

Paul speaks of the true home that he visited and knew , wanted depart there.
" 1Boasting is necessary, though it is not profitable; but I will go on to visions and revelations of the Lord. 2I know a man in Christ who fourteen years ago—whether in the body I do not know, or out of the body I do not know, God knows—such a man was caught up to the third heaven. 3And I know how such a man—whether in the body or apart from the body I do not know, God knows— 4was caught up into Paradise and heard inexpressible words, which a man is not permitted to speak. "

LightofTruth

I like the Jehovah's Witnesses.But I am not advertising for them.If I was I would just say I am.:)

God said, "let us create man in our image".

First, look at the use of the word "image" in the O.T.

Second, look at the use of the same word in the N.T.

let me know what you learn.