• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What did Jesus Say? For Discussion not Debate.

usfan

1. He taught people to be weak doormats.
2. He required his followers to hate their families:

3. He Taught People to be Depressed and Hate Their Lives:
4. He said that Heterosexual Males Should Gouge Their Eyes Out:

Disgusting and sick teachings.
So true. Thank you for clarifying Christianity for us..
giphy.gif

blü 2

Veteran Member
Premium Member
What an imaginative mind you have there bluy. What a pity that is has no or little relevance to the Holy Scriptures, But like I have said, You are entitled to your own personal opinions."
Ah, my friend, I confess that in my view, the central question is 'What's true in reality.'

That question appears not to concern you greatly, though if it did, we could pursue this discussion.

Meanwhile I wish you well. Live long and prosper.

YoursTrue

Faith-confidence in what we hope for (Hebrews 11)
What is most significant?
What is most memorable?
Are there common themes to the verses in red?

Note: I literally have no idea... Excluding sermon on the mount; I am completely ignorant of this subject matter.
In other words, you don't have a Bible?

YoursTrue

I present my opinion...

You asked for Bible verses. But as it stands, to give any wouldn't be as accurate as reading the NT books. It's like asking me to condense 150 pages to you.

Okay so, Jesus wasn't overly nice, he was a little nice. He called a lot of people out. He said some confusing things regarding prophecy that even his followers didn't understand. So good luck to us trying to decipher it. According to John 14:6, Jesus claimed to be truth.

So as it stands, you're mildly asking us to do the impossible vs. you going to a store which specializes in lesser-priced books, picking up a Bible, and skimming the pages.
The Bible is on many websites as well.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
In a previous, recent thread it was claimed that Jesus' message was to "be nice" and the rest was less significant.

What do you think? What are the important lessons taught by Jesus? Please share your opinion backed up with verses from scripture.

I respectfully request:

• No preaching
  • No debating
  • Limit responses to Jesus' words as presented in scripture

Thank you,
the Temple event

Reactions: Jim

YoursTrue

The topic of discussion is: Can Jesus' teachings in the Bible be summed up as "Be Nice to People"? Or is it more complicated?

What do you think?
I am answering your contention that you can't read Jesus words because you don't have a Bible. You said you're ignorant. And I say you don't have to be because multitudes of Bibles are available easily and free of charge on the internet.

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member
The topic of discussion is: Can Jesus' teachings in the Bible be summed up as "Be Nice to People"? Or is it more complicated?

What do you think?

I say that hits the nail on the head and we can leave the complications alone. ;)

'Do unto others as you would have them do unto you'.

Regards Tony

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I am answering your contention that you can't read Jesus words because you don't have a Bible. You said you're ignorant. And I say you don't have to be because multitudes of Bibles are available easily and free of charge on the internet.

At this time he may not want to read a Bible. :D

Regards Tony

The Anointed

Forgive me... the knocking over the tables of the merchants?

edit: uhhh money changers?

And it wasn't a spontaneous act either. After going to the temple and watching as the money changers cheated the tourists who had come to Jerusalem for the Passover Festival, he returned to Bethany, where he made a whip, and returning next day, he overturned their tables and flogged the hell out of them driving them from the temple like a herd of swine.

Mark 11: 11-16; Jesus entered Jerusalem and went into the temple courts. He looked around at everything, but since it was already late, he went out to Bethany with the Twelve. 12The next day as they were leaving Bethany, Jesus was hungry. 13Seeing in the distance a fig tree in leaf, he went to find out if it had any fruit. When he reached it, he found nothing but leaves, because it was not the season for figs. 14Then he said to the tree, "May no one ever eat fruit from you again." And his disciples heard him say it. 15On reaching Jerusalem, Jesus entered the temple courts and began driving out those who were buying and selling there. He overturned the tables of the money changers and the benches of those selling doves, 16and would not allow anyone to carry merchandise through the temple courts.

John 2: 13-16; When it was almost time for the Jewish Passover, Jesus went up to Jerusalem. 14In the temple courts he found people selling cattle, sheep and doves, and others sitting at tables exchanging money. 15So he made a whip out of cords, and drove all from the temple courts, both sheep and cattle; he scattered the coins of the money changers and overturned their tables. 16To those who sold doves he said, "Get these out of here! Stop turning my Father's house into a market!"

Jim

Nets of Wonder
So, right now, I'm working through the the books of the Old Testament. I have read about half of them. But not in order. I'm currently working on Jeremiah.
I recommend reading the Chronicles again, after you’ve read all the other books. I also recommend, while you’re reading, to set aside all questions of historicity, fact or fiction, and what to believe or not believe. Just immerse yourself in the stories, as stories. Think of them as a compilation, and consider what they might have in common or how they might fit together in the minds of the authors, in the minds of the compilers, and in the minds of people who get ideas, inspiration and encouragement from them, in improving themselves to help make the world better for all people everywhere.

Also, please see this post, which was inspired by you saying that you’re reading the books of the Old Testament: A light in some stories and scriptures obscured by belief systems

BilliardsBall

Veteran Member
To be completely honest, at the time,

*blush*

I agreed with the claim, Jesus was telling people to be nice and the rest is less significant. But I've learned a lot, so far, in this thread....

Yes, i could have read it for myself. But this is interesting for me on 2 levels.

1) It gives me insight into the religion.
2) It gives me insight into each person who responds.

Both are fascinating to me. I am fascinated by religion. And I'm a people-person. I like people. I like learning about what each individual likes, what they don't like. What they like to read; what they like to eat. etc.

Also, it's true what @usfan has been observing, many threads get created that point out the flaws in Christianity and Christians. I thought it would be nice to start a thread that gave an opportunity to discuss Jesus academically and philosophically.

You hit the nail on the head--discuss Jesus. A simple comparison of say, Jesus, Muhammed and Richard Dawkins would provide clear victory for the Christian faith.

BilliardsBall

Veteran Member
Irrelevant. You can easily do that without making ex gratia remarks telling the poster they ought to look it up for themselves instead of asking the opinion of others. And you miss the point of the value in comparing people's opinions.

By the way you have no business telling me I ought to do the same, when you have zero idea of whether I have done so or not.

I know when someone is misunderstanding/misrepresenting the scriptures.

The OP replied to me to explain his rubric.

I never miss value in comparing people's opinions, for example, your opinions on the Bible are misinformed, clearly. I still love you, though! But don't protest how I don't. Since you are not at this forum to love people, but to critique them... You don't love me, repeating to me over and over that I sinned against the OP--the Bible, by the way, admonishes people to go directly to those who are offended--the OP wasn't! So thanks for fighting that (unneeded) battle. If you love me half as much as I love you--you'd forgive me my original post. But you don't forgive your enemies, and if you're a typical RF skeptic, you don't forgive friends or loved ones for perceived faults, either!

Thief

Rogue Theologian
Forgive me... the knocking over the tables of the merchants?

edit: uhhh money changers?
no.....I was referring to that moment at the threshold of the Temple

picture this....I know you can

you follow the Guy around for three years
you have seen Him do things beyond words

at the Temple He takes a chord and starts tying knots
and with each one His Face grows a bit more grim

He might take a moment to look you in the eye before addressing the crowd

He stands to the doorway and makes the announcement...….Get out!!!!!
He likely had to say it more than once.....loudly

as silence spreads over the crowd....I can hear it
as if I am standing right there
someone laughed

and the whipping began......him first

and what does it take to drive a thick crowd of people from a Temple
they think belongs to them?

and there you are....just outside the door
all those people rushing past you

inside.....no doubt...several men tried to stop Him
but the story goes.....the Temple emptied

now picture yourself creeping up to the door to look inside

and there He is
close enough to touch

looking you in the eye

dare you to enter the Temple?

wanna play nice?

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
It's not that I can't. It's on the todo list. I asked a friend over the summer which book to read first, and he recommended John. It wasn't compelling for me. I asked another friend recently, he said Matthew. So that is probably where I'll start.

But as I said in a previous reply to this thread, I'm still working on the books of the Old Testament. And, I'm not in a rush to finish them.

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
no.....I was referring to that moment at the threshold of the Temple

picture this....I know you can

you follow the Guy around for three years
you have seen Him do things beyond words

at the Temple He takes a chord and starts tying knots
and with each one His Face grows a bit more grim

He might take a moment to look you in the eye before addressing the crowd

He stands to the doorway and makes the announcement...….Get out!!!!!
He likely had to say it more than once.....loudly

as silence spreads over the crowd....I can hear it
as if I am standing right there
someone laughed

and the whipping began......him first

and what does it take to drive a thick crowd of people from a Temple
they think belongs to them?

and there you are....just outside the door
all those people rushing past you

inside.....no doubt...several men tried to stop Him
but the story goes.....the Temple emptied

now picture yourself creeping up to the door to look inside