• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What did Jesus Sacrifice?

NWL

Jesus gave his flesh and blood for us, this is symbolized by bread and wine. Regarding Jesus it says “[he] gave himself as a ransom for all people” (1 Tim 2:6). When in the upper rooms Jesus broke a loaf and gave it to his disciples and said “This is my body, which shall be given for the sake of your persons” (Luke 22:19 ABPE) Furthermore in Hebrews 10:10 it reads“For God's will was for us to be made holy by the sacrifice of the body of Jesus Christ, once for all time” (Heb 10:10 NIV). Jesus body was no doubt sacrificed.

The reason for the title and question "what did Jesus sacrifice?", was asked as vast majority of people who claim they're Christian technically don't believe Jesus actually sacrificed his body once for all time, the reason for this is because most believe Jesus was raised in the flesh and took back the flesh(body) he sacrificed. Most claim this even when presented with scriptures which make it clear Jesus was raised with a spirit body, the same composition that God (John 4:24) and the Angels (Hebrews 1:7) have.

(1 Cor 15:45 NIV) “..So it is written: "The first man Adam became a living being"; the last Adam [Jesus], a life-giving spirit…”

(1 Peter 3:18 NIV) “..For Christ also suffered once for sins... He was
put to death in the body but made alive in the Spirit..”

No member of Christendom makes the claim that Jesus still has his blood as Jesus sacrificed it, most even site Luke 24:39 as proof that Jesus no longer has it. If this is true then the same consistency must be applied to the sacrifice of Jesus flesh that was sacrificed in the same manner as his blood.

Thus my claim is that since Jesus gave his body of flesh for us then he couldn't and can never take back his body of flesh without nullifying the sacrifice he gave. Any claim that Jesus was raised in the flesh is to say Jesus took back the sacrifice he gave, therefore any person who holds such a thought please answer this, If Jesus was raised in a body of flesh then what did he sacrifice if he took back the body he sacrificed?

Neo Deist

Th.D. & D.Div. h.c.
Thus my claim is that since Jesus gave his body of flesh for us then he couldn't and can never take back his body of flesh without nullifying the sacrifice he gave. Any claim that Jesus was raised in the flesh is to say Jesus took back the sacrifice he gave, therefore any person who holds such a thought please answer this, If Jesus was raised in a body of flesh then what did he sacrifice if he took back the body he sacrificed?

Perhaps you missed the part of the story where Jesus was not recognized by his own followers after the resurrection:

John 20:14
John 21:4
Luke 24:13-31

There is a good reason for it. Jesus was dead, and this other person was an impostor. That is why he looked different. Not that I give much credit to the Gospels, given that they were written by anonymous, 3rd parties decades after the fact.

buddhist

If Jesus was raised in a body of flesh then what did he sacrifice if he took back the body he sacrificed?
Nothing?

If he was indeed the almighty, eternal, and infinite god, then how could he have given up anything?

It's as if there was an owner of a central bank who possesses a right to print endless dollars, but gives up this right for a few minutes to donate a penny to others, with the knowledge that he will reacquire that right shortly.

NWL

Perhaps you missed the part of the story where Jesus was not recognized by his own followers after the resurrection:

John 20:14
John 21:4
Luke 24:13-31

There is a good reason for it. Jesus was dead, and this other person was an impostor. That is why he looked different. Not that I give much credit to the Gospels, given that they were written by anonymous, 3rd parties decades after the fact.

The fact that Jesus appeared different shouldn't make you immediately conclude that the person was an impostor. From each account its clear that Jesus disciples and Mary knew they were speaking to Jesus not because of his appearance but by his actions and words.

(Luke 24:15-16, 30-31) "...While they were talking, Jesus approached them and began walking with them. Although they saw him, they didn't recognize him...While he was at the table with them, he took bread and blessed it. He broke the bread and gave it to them. Then their eyes were opened, and they recognized him. But he vanished from their sight..."

(John 21:4-13) “..However, just as day was breaking, Jesus stood on the beach, but the disciples did not realize that it was Jesus… [Jesus] said to them: “Cast the net on the right side of the boat”…So they cast it, but they were not able to haul it…Then the disciple whom Jesus loved said to Peter: “It is the Lord!”…When they came ashore, they saw there a charcoal fire with fish lying on it and bread. 10 Jesus said to them: “Bring some of the fish you just now caught.”…Not one of the disciples had the courage to ask him: “Who are you?” because they knew it was the Lord..”

To claim that this impostor was not the Christ is to ignore the power and ability of this alleged impostor. He was able to appear and vanish at will, determine where fish were in the sea whilst on the shore without explanation along with other miracles that aren't recorded. Jesus disciples along with Mary certainly wouldn't believe that a man was Jesus simply because he claimed so, even when you read the post resurrection appearance the man never claims to be Jesus, he always allows he actions and words prove who he is.

Politesse

Amor Vincit Omnia
Jesus gave his flesh and blood for us, this is symbolized by bread and wine. Regarding Jesus it says “[he] gave himself as a ransom for all people” (1 Tim 2:6). When in the upper rooms Jesus broke a loaf and gave it to his disciples and said “This is my body, which shall be given for the sake of your persons” (Luke 22:19 ABPE) Furthermore in Hebrews 10:10 it reads“For God's will was for us to be made holy by the sacrifice of the body of Jesus Christ, once for all time” (Heb 10:10 NIV). Jesus body was no doubt sacrificed.

The reason for the title and question "what did Jesus sacrifice?", was asked as vast majority of people who claim they're Christian technically don't believe Jesus actually sacrificed his body once for all time, the reason for this is because most believe Jesus was raised in the flesh and took back the flesh(body) he sacrificed. Most claim this even when presented with scriptures which make it clear Jesus was raised with a spirit body, the same composition that God (John 4:24) and the Angels (Hebrews 1:7) have.

(1 Cor 15:45 NIV) “..So it is written: "The first man Adam became a living being"; the last Adam [Jesus], a life-giving spirit…”

(1 Peter 3:18 NIV) “..For Christ also suffered once for sins... He was
put to death in the body but made alive in the Spirit..”

No member of Christendom makes the claim that Jesus still has his blood as Jesus sacrificed it, most even site Luke 24:39 as proof that Jesus no longer has it. If this is true then the same consistency must be applied to the sacrifice of Jesus flesh that was sacrificed in the same manner as his blood.

Suppose you had a bodyguard, and they took a bullet for you, almost certainly saving your life. Luckily, the bullet was deflected by her humerus and, remarkably, ended up being an injury that the hospital could fix. She makes a full recovery.

Would you later claim that her act on your behalf "didn't count", as she eventually recovered the use of her arm? She still got shot, and she still saved your life. Later recovery is irrelevant to the virtue of the act, especially if she had no reason to assume that her sacrifice would be reparable.

NWL

Nothing?

If he was indeed the almighty, eternal, and infinite god, then how could he have given up anything?

It's as if there was an owner of a central bank who possesses a right to print endless dollars, but gives up this right for a few minutes to donate a penny to others, with the knowledge that he will reacquire that right shortly.
I do believe Jesus gave something, that being his flesh and blood as stated in scripture. I don't believe Jesus is almighty and infinitely God, I believe only the Father is almighty God and that Jesus is his Son and is inferior and subject to the Father.

But you're correct, if Jesus was almighty God then how could he have given anything up without loosing his almighty status.

Your example of the owner of a central bank doesn't parallel Jesus sacrifice. Remember Jesus gave his body "once for all time" as Hebrews 10:10 states, your example only has the bank owner give his right up for a few minutes. Therefore Jesus taking his body back, as some claim, contradicts the notation that he gave his body once for all time. If scripture stated Jesus gave his body "once for a time" then your example would fit.

buddhist

I do believe Jesus gave something, that being his flesh and blood as stated in scripture. I don't believe Jesus is almighty and infinitely God, I believe only the Father is almighty God and that Jesus is his Son and is inferior and subject to the Father.

But you're correct, if Jesus was almighty God then how could he have given anything up without loosing his almighty status.

Your example of the owner of a central bank doesn't parallel Jesus sacrifice. Remember Jesus gave his body "once for all time" as Hebrews 10:10 states, your example only has the bank owner give his right up for a few minutes. Therefore Jesus taking his body back, as some claim, contradicts the notation that he gave his body once for all time. If scripture stated Jesus gave his body "once for a time" then your example would fit.
What is the "sacrifice" of a physical body to an almighty god, or even his son? It is supposed that he will return with a new physical body anyways. I imagine a physical body is thus of miniscule worth compared to any of his other assumed qualities.

If he permanently gave up his eternal power, or his eternal life, perhaps we might come closer to the idea that he gave up something of significant worth.

NWL

Suppose if you had a bodyguard, and they took a bullet for you, almost certainly saving your life. Luckily, the bullet was deflected by her humerus and, remarkably, ended up being an injury that the hospital could fix. She makes a full recovery.

Would you later claim that her act on your behalf "didn't count", as she eventually recovered the use of her arm? She still got shot, and she still saved your life. Later recovery is irrelevant to the virtue of the act, especially if she had no reason to assume that her sacrifice would be reparable.

I understand your example, but your missing the implications set in Hebrews 10:10 which sets the standards for what Jesus lost.

(Heb 10:10 NIV) “..For God's will was for us to be made holy by the sacrifice of the body of Jesus Christ, once for all time..”
No scripture states that the sacrifice of the body or the blood of Jesus would be temporary, Hebrews 10:10 states that the sacrifice for the body was "once for all time", Jesus saved our lifes based on the condition that he sacrificed those two things. Jesus sacrifice wasn't a hit and miss but was planned out like your example but was planned out a prearranged by the Father. Your example of "taking a bullet" is vague in its meaning, since, as you displayed, taking a bullet can mean being shot and injured or shot and killed. However, the fact remains, taking a bullet on behalf of someone is a sacrifice no matter the outcome since you would either have some type of injury, whether temporary or permanent which would display a sacrifice or death which would also be a sacrifice.

Language is very simple, if something is a sacrifice then the very definition of the word demands something to be lost, this is both true in english and the original languages of the bible. You cannot have a sacrifice and something NOT be lost, otherwise its not a sacrifice.

Imagine a friend is kidnapped and a ransom of a million dollars is demand and is given to the assailant, however after the exchange of your friend you take back the million dollars which you pre-arranged to do before handing the monies over. Could you say to your friend "I scarified a million dollars for you?"

Does Jesus still have his blood, if not why not? Can you confirm that you believe Jesus gave his body in behalf for mankind and then took back the sacrifice three days later?

Last edited:

NWL

If he didn't look like himself, who did he look like after the resurrection? Why would he look like a different person?

We don't know who he looked like. Spirit creature (Angels), as recorded in the bible, have manifested themselves in physical human forms and conversed and even produced offspring with mankind (Genesis 18:2, 19:1). If angels are able to temporarily take on a human form, and Jesus was resurrected as a spirit, then what limits him from doing exactly the same thing as those Angels/spirits? Nothing.

The fact remains, the apostles and Mary did not recognize Jesus by is appearance but by his words and actions. We must ask ourselves, why did the Bibles writers choose to state that they didn’t recognize Jesus in most of their writings of Jesus post resurrection, what purpose or good does it do to say such things if Jesus looked like Jesus, it would seem it’s simply a waste of time for them to say “we did not recognize Jesus”, it adds nothing to the texts. Even when the disciples were in close proximity with Jesus they still couldn’t recognize him, why? Because Jesus was not resurrected in a body of flesh, but rather in a spirit body, Jesus evidently materialized just like spirit creatures did in the Old Testament (Hebrews 3:13).

(John 21:4-13) “..However, just as day was breaking, Jesus stood on the beach, but the disciples did not realize that it was Jesus… [Jesus] said to them: “Cast the net on the right side of the boat”…So they cast it, but they were not able to haul it…Then the disciple whom Jesus loved said to Peter: “It is the Lord!”…When they came ashore, they saw there a charcoal fire with fish lying on it and bread. 10 Jesus said to them: “Bring some of the fish you just now caught.”…Not one of the disciples had the courage to ask him: “Who are you?” because they knew it was the Lord..”

The disciples must have been extremely close to Jesus for him to offer them food, with Peter also giving the fish to Jesus, we also have John stating “It is the Lord!”, why then when in close proximity do we have the writer stating “Not one of the disciples had the courage to ask him: “Who are you?” because they knew it was the Lord”? What purpose does that serve if Jesus looked like Jesus? None! Furthermore why did the disciples want to ask Jesus “who are you” if they already knew who he was? The only plausible explanation is that they didn’t recognize Jesus because he was not raised in the same fleshly body he died in, they recognized him by his actions, not his appearance. Another account can be found in John 20:14-17 where Mary couldn’t recognize Jesus. Jesus and Mary were even conversing with each other, it wasn’t until Jesus said “Mary!” that she realized it was Jesus. Once again it wasn’t the appearance of Jesus but rather his actions and the way he spoke. Upon seeing Jesus she simply thought he was a gardener and once again they were in close proximity since she turned around and hugged him after he said her name.

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
I think you are over-thinking and taking the literal meaning of 'flesh and blood'. None of this makes sense with such a literal take.

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
The main point is not sacrifice but atonement. The death on the cross is 'Like' a sacrifice, though in rituals it is considered a sacrifice and the wine and bread are called blood and flesh.

The main points are that he is obedient, that he obediently accepts death and that this reverses the judgment against all of Adam's offspring. (This is probably why Christians don't have circumcision.)

Jesus is hung on the cross to accuse him of being evil and the reverse of what a person should be. This is explained in Hebrews and by Jesus himself when comparing himself to the brass serpent in the desert, but you have to read the Torah to grasp the significance of the cross. The NT does not work in a vacuum. He is resurrected to show that despite having evil flesh that he can still live spiritually, thus reversing the curse against Adam's descendants.

Recap: His body is the embodiment of evil (the reason he is hung), but the resurrection proves that the judgment should only be against his flesh not against his mind.

After the fact this is considered to be like a sacrifice, in particular like the sacrifice of the red heifer according to the writer of Hebrews -- because it then means the uncircumcised have fellowship with Israel (according to NT authors).

djhwoodwerks

First of all, we have,

John 2:18-22 (ESV Strong's) 18 So the Jews said to him, “What sign do you show us for doing these things?” 19 Jesus answered them, “Destroy this temple, and in three days I will raise it up.” 20 The Jews then said, “It has taken forty-six years to build this temple, and will you raise it up in three days?” 21 But he was speaking about the temple of his body. 22 When therefore he was raised from the dead, his disciples remembered that he had said this, and they believed the Scripture and the word that Jesus had spoken.

Was Jesus telling a lie when He said that, knowing full well His body would be annihilated? Or, did God deceive Jesus into believing He would raise His body?

Then we have,

Luke 24:36-41 (ESV Strong's) 36 As they were talking about these things, Jesus himself stood among them, and said to them, “Peace to you!” 37 But they were startled and frightened and thought they saw a spirit. 38 And he said to them, “Why are you troubled, and why do doubts arise in your hearts? 39 See my hands and my feet, that it is I myself. Touch me, and see. For a spirit does not have flesh and bones as you see that I have.” 40 And when he had said this, he showed them his hands and his feet. 41 And while they still disbelieved for joy and were marveling, he said to them, “Have you anything here to eat?”

Was the writer of these verses lying or deceived when he wrote, "Jesus Himself stood among them"? If Jesus didn't take His body back, but manifested a "false" body with the same wounds, that verse is a lie!

When Jesus said, "it is I myself", if it wasn't His real body, it was a counterfeit, which makes Jesus a deceiver.

And then we have this,

1 Timothy 2:5-7 (ESV Strong's) 5 For there is one God, and there is one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus, 6 who gave himself as a ransom for all, which is the testimony given at the proper time.

So yes, Jesus did raise His body from the grave.

Neo Deist

Th.D. & D.Div. h.c.
The fact that Jesus appeared different shouldn't make you immediately conclude that the person was an impostor. From each account its clear that Jesus disciples and Mary knew they were speaking to Jesus not because of his appearance but by his actions and words.

(Luke 24:15-16, 30-31) "...While they were talking, Jesus approached them and began walking with them. Although they saw him, they didn't recognize him...While he was at the table with them, he took bread and blessed it. He broke the bread and gave it to them. Then their eyes were opened, and they recognized him. But he vanished from their sight..."

To claim that this impostor was not the Christ is to ignore the power and ability of this alleged impostor. He was able to appear and vanish at will, determine where fish were in the sea whilst on the shore without explanation along with other miracles that aren't recorded. Jesus disciples along with Mary certainly wouldn't believe that a man was Jesus simply because he claimed so, even when you read the post resurrection appearance the man never claims to be Jesus, he always allows he actions and words prove who he is.

Perhaps you missed my previous post where it states that the Gospels (you know, the Jesus story) were written by anonymous authors decades after the fact, and they were not eyewitnesses? That makes the Gospels hearsay at best. Hearsay testimony is not allowed in court because it is deemed unreliable. In other words, don't believe everything you read in the Bible.

NWL

I think you are over-thinking and taking the literal meaning of 'flesh and blood'. None of this makes sense with such a literal take.

I'm not overthinking, I'm taking scripture of what it states. Jesus is the equivalent to the sacrificial lamb/animal that was used to cover over sins. Jesus took place of those sacrificial animals, John the Baptiste said “See, the Lamb of God who takes away the sin of the world!” (John 1:29 NIV).

Therefore the literal giving of Jesus body and his blood redeems us of our sins, the same way the literal giving of animal sacrifices redeem the sins of Israel.

NWL

The main point is not sacrifice but atonement. The death on the cross is 'Like' a sacrifice, though in rituals it is considered a sacrifice and the wine and bread are called blood and flesh.

The main points are that he is obedient, that he obediently accepts death and that this reverses the judgment against all of Adam's offspring. (This is probably why Christians don't have circumcision.)

Jesus is hung on the cross to accuse him of being evil and the reverse of what a person should be. This is explained in Hebrews and by Jesus himself when comparing himself to the brass serpent in the desert, but you have to read the Torah to grasp the significance of the cross. The NT does not work in a vacuum. He is resurrected to show that despite having evil flesh that he can still live spiritually, thus reversing the curse against Adam's descendants.

Recap: His body is the embodiment of evil (the reason he is hung), but the resurrection proves that the judgment should only be against his flesh not against his mind.

After the fact this is considered to be like a sacrifice, in particular like the sacrifice of the red heifer according to the writer of Hebrews -- because it then means the uncircumcised have fellowship with Israel (according to NT authors).

Jesus sacrificed his life to atone for our sins yes. Jesus was a sacrifice, period. To claim Jesus wasn't a sacrifice but like one, is to deny scripture.

(Ephesians 5:2) "..and go on walking in love, just as the Christ also loved us and gave himself for us as an offering and a sacrifice, a sweet fragrance to God.."

You're mistaken, his body was not the embodiment of evil. Jesus body reassembled the perfect sinless body that was lost by Adam when he sinned and condemned mankind, "That is why, just as through one man sin entered into the world and death through sin, and so death spread to all men because they had all sinned" (Romans 5:12). Hence the reason why Jesus was called the last Adam, as he took his place. Imagine a set of scales, Adam imbalanced the when he sinned causing man to become sinful and die, Jesus, being perfect, took Adam place and gave his life which has now re-balanced the scales.

NWL

First of all, we have,

John 2:18-22 (ESV Strong's) 18 So the Jews said to him, “What sign do you show us for doing these things?” 19 Jesus answered them, “Destroy this temple, and in three days I will raise it up.” 20 The Jews then said, “It has taken forty-six years to build this temple, and will you raise it up in three days?” 21 But he was speaking about the temple of his body. 22 When therefore he was raised from the dead, his disciples remembered that he had said this, and they believed the Scripture and the word that Jesus had spoken.

Was Jesus telling a lie when He said that, knowing full well His body would be annihilated? Or, did God deceive Jesus into believing He would raise His body?

Jesus was not referring to his physical body here but rather "the temple of his body". Jesus was raised into a body after three days, but, as already stated, this was a spiritual body and not a physical one.

(1 Peter 3:18 NIV) “..For Christ also suffered once for sins... He was put to death in the body but made alive in the Spirit..”

Luke 24:36-41 (ESV Strong's) 36 As they were talking about these things, Jesus himself stood among them, and said to them, “Peace to you!” 37 But they were startled and frightened and thought they saw a spirit. 38 And he said to them, “Why are you troubled, and why do doubts arise in your hearts? 39 See my hands and my feet, that it is I myself. Touch me, and see. For a spirit does not have flesh and bones as you see that I have.” 40 And when he had said this, he showed them his hands and his feet. 41 And while they still disbelieved for joy and were marveling, he said to them, “Have you anything here to eat?”

Was the writer of these verses lying or deceived when he wrote, "Jesus Himself stood among them"? If Jesus didn't take His body back, but manifested a "false" body with the same wounds, that verse is a lie!

When Jesus said, "it is I myself", if it wasn't His real body, it was a counterfeit, which makes Jesus a deceiver.

If you believe the being of Jesus is only limited to the body of flesh he became when coming to earth then you are deeply mistaken. You forget Jesus hasn't always been flesh, he was a spirit in heaven before coming to earth and became flesh only when conceived in Mary's womb.

(John 1:14) "..So the Word became flesh and resided among us.."

(Philippians 2:5-7) "..Keep this mental attitude in you that was also in Christ Jesus, 6 who, although he was existing in God’s form, gave no consideration to a seizure, namely, that he should be equal to God. 7 No, but he emptied himself and
took a slave’s form and became human.."

Therefore when the scripture states "Jesus Himself stood among them" this doesn't restrict Jesus to only standing in front of his disciples in the same body he was born to Mary in, if it does then the Jesus who existed in the heaven prior coming to earth should make no sense to you as Jesus can only be the Jesus of flesh.

1 Timothy 2:5-7 (ESV Strong's) 5 For there is one God, and there is one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus, 6 who gave himself as a ransom for all, which is the testimony given at the proper time.

So yes, Jesus did raise His body from the grave.

The context of this verse is referring to Jesus at the time that he sacrificed himself, hence the reason it says "who gave himself as a ransom for all".

You never answered the question, If Jesus was raised in a body of flesh then what did he sacrifice if he took back the body he sacrificed?

Last edited:

djhwoodwerks

Jesus was not referring to his physical body here but rather "the temple of his body". Jesus was raised into a body after three days, but, as already stated, this was a spiritual body and not a physical one.

Huh? If His body wasn't the temple He was referring to, what is "the temple of His body"? What was the "temple of His body", did His body have a temple?

1 Corinthians 3:16 (ESV Strong's) 16 Do you not know that you are God's temple and that God's Spirit dwells in you?

1 Corinthians 6:19-20 (ESV Strong's) Or do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit within you, whom you have from God? You are not your own, 20 for you were bought with a price. So glorify God in your body.

Therefore when the scripture states "Jesus Himself stood among them" this doesn't restrict Jesus to only standing in front of his disciples in the same body he was born to Mary in, if it does then the Jesus who existed in the heaven prior coming to earth should make no sense to you as Jesus can only be the Jesus of flesh.

Again, "Huh?"

Correct, Jesus is only the Jesus of the "flesh". So therefore, when it says, "Jesus Himself" and, "it is I myself", it means Jesus stood there, not some counterfeit body.

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
I'm not overthinking, I'm taking scripture of what it states. Jesus is the equivalent to the sacrificial lamb/animal that was used to cover over sins. Jesus took place of those sacrificial animals, John the Baptiste said “See, the Lamb of God who takes away the sin of the world!” (John 1:29 NIV).

Therefore the literal giving of Jesus body and his blood redeems us of our sins, the same way the literal giving of animal sacrifices redeem the sins of Israel.
You know, no offense to you, but for Christianity to continue its relevance in the modern educated world, it has to accord with reason as opposed to saying 'I'm taking the scripture of what it states'. It is us well-intentioned people that are not following the logic in certain dogmas.