• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What did Jesus ever say that was unprecedented to humanity?

David J

Jesus was the rabbi (teacher).

Surely, the close disciples would have asked about his universe, if any other intelligent beings exist? (that's my question)

What other branches of study at the time did he ever bother to shock us with?

Marcion

gopa of humanity's controversial Taraka Brahma
I have not yet seen any guru, prophet or teacher say what Jesus said in Matthew 16:24-26 , I could be wrong and will accept correction
The wording is rather special, but otherwise that is quite a universal teaching.
The part with taking up your cross is probably added later by Christians so that cannot be attributed to the real Jesus.
in fact, there is no unique teaching in the sayings of Q-lite that may go back to the historical Jesus.
The Christian teachings however are another matter.
Of course they are the product of mythical thinking and not real spiritual philosophy or Jesus mission instructions like in the real teachings of Jesus.
Most people aren't accustomed to keeping the teachings of Jesus and those of Christians apart as they were mixed in with each other by aMark, aMatthew and aLuke.

Last edited:

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I have not yet seen any guru, prophet or teacher say what Jesus said in Matthew 16:24-26 , I could be wrong and will accept correction
I'm not so sure. To a degree, we know of ascetic philosophies and cultures that existed prior, of "denying life for a better one," dying and being martyred for the cause, and degrees of denying/refusing material objects as belief it will be better for someone. Such as, the Spartans may have had a different mentality with their highly militaristic fascism, but we see the same "deny yourself, pick up your spear and shield for Sparta, glory in dying for Sparta." And for a long time highly ascetic and even shunning the love of gold.

The Reverend Bob

Fart Machine and Beastmaster
The wording is rather special, but otherwise that is quite a universal teaching.
The part with taking up your cross is probably added later by Christians so that cannot be attributed to the real Jesus.
in fact, there is no unique teaching in the sayings of Q-lite that may go back to the historical Jesus.
The Christian teachings however are another matter.
Of course they are the product of mythical thinking and not real spiritual philosophy or Jesus mission instructions like in the real teachings of Jesus.
Most people aren't accustomed to keeping the teachings of Jesus and those of Christians apart as they were mixed in with each other by aMark, aMatthew and aLuke.
Even if those words didn't come from historical Jesus, there's still something uniquely profound about them and they've inspired many to go beyond the call of duty when it comes to helping your fellow human, Bonhoeffer, Tolstoy and MLK Jr were all inspired by this passage

The Reverend Bob

I'm not so sure. To a degree, we know of ascetic philosophies and cultures that existed prior, of "denying life for a better one," dying and being martyred for the cause, and degrees of denying/refusing material objects as belief it will be better for someone. Such as, the Spartans may have had a different mentality with their highly militaristic fascism, but we see the same "deny yourself, pick up your spear and shield for Sparta, glory in dying for Sparta." And for a long time highly ascetic and even shunning the love of gold.
I have to read more on the Spartans now

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I have to read more on the Spartans now
They are a fascinating culture, indeed. Very violent and brutal, a very, very hard life from childhood to the grave (IIRC, the age of 7 or 8 is when boys began their military training, and thus military life), but absolutely astonishing in their military might and prowess. They utilized spear and sword, and their shield were very large and doubled as offensive weapons. The shields also allowed for their combat formations to form a solid and difficult to penetrate wall. And they prided themselves on being minimal, to the point that allegedly Athenians (or some of them, or one of them) thought that if they abandoned their city there would be so little left that no one would believe they existed.

The Reverend Bob

They are a fascinating culture, indeed. Very violent and brutal, a very, very hard life from childhood to the grave (IIRC, the age of 7 or 8 is when boys began their military training, and thus military life), but absolutely astonishing in their military might and prowess. They utilized spear and sword, and their shield were very large and doubled as offensive weapons. The shields also allowed for their combat formations to form a solid and difficult to penetrate wall. And they prided themselves on being minimal, to the point that allegedly Athenians (or some of them, or one of them) thought that if they abandoned their city there would be so little left that no one would believe they existed.
I am fascinated with Jesus being Spartan because what you quoted and what he said are alike in a way

Enoch07

It's all a sick freaking joke.
Premium Member

Surely, the close disciples would have asked about his universe, if any other intelligent beings exist? (that's my question)

What scripture are you referring to? This is scriptural debates section after all not philosphy.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I am fascinated with Jesus being Spartan because what you quoted and what he said are alike in a way
To some degree. However, it is simply impossible to overstate how militaristic and fascist* the Spartans were. They also weren't big into that "love your neighbor" thing, were known for slaughtering their slaves on occasion to keep their numbers down, and even did go to war against their fellow Greeks.
*actual, real, "legit" fascism and not the over-and-misused "vulgate fascism" that is used interchangeably with any non-liberal democracy.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
It was also very likely their reluctance to change with the times lead to their downfall. During the Battle of Thermopylae they definitely stood as potentially the greatest warriors to ever walk the face of the Earth. But roughly a century later--combined with their shunning of things like philosophy, reading, and other intellectual things seen as "weak," (a bitter rivalry between them and Athens)--others started to figure them out, the tactics of Sparta where unchanged while everybody else did, and at the battles of Leuctra and Mantinea is where they received "fatal wounds" to their very culture as their loses and defeats were extensive, a great failure on their army, which was their life.

Marcion

gopa of humanity's controversial Taraka Brahma
Even if those words didn't come from historical Jesus, there's still something uniquely profound about them and they've inspired many to go beyond the call of duty when it comes to helping your fellow human, Bonhoeffer, Tolstoy and MLK Jr were all inspired by this passage
They were mostly inspired by the words that did come from the historical Jesus and those words were not unique to Christianity. The words that are unique to Christianity did not come from Jesus and are far less significant for real spiritual progress in life.

Desert Snake

Veteran Member

I disagree with most of christianity about what Jesus meant by many things.

You seem to be reading the Scripture in a way that isn't telling you about ideas that are there. So, read the Bible again?

Anyways, have a good evening

Last edited:

LiveBetterLife

I disagree with most of christianity about what Jesus meant by many things.

You seem to be reading the Scripture in a way that isn't telling you about ideas that are there. So, read the Bible again?

Anyways, have a good evening

The scripture is the most heavily manipulated text in all of recorded sociological history.

The Jesus worshiped in Christianity has certainly become a mythical figure by any reasonable standard regardless of anyone's beliefs regarding the faith.

Cheers for the thought provoking response to the OP.

PureX

Veteran Member

Jesus (the Christ) presented mankind with the idea of God's spirit existing and expressing itself within us. That human beings are a living embodiment of the Divine. It was such a new and shocking idea that his own people had him murdered for it, because it was too radical for them to assimilate. Nd even today, many Christians say the words, but still can't quite grasp the significance of them.

What did Jesus ever say that was unprecedented to humanity?

But I tell you, love your enemies, bless those who curse you, do good to those who hate you, and pray for those who mistreat you and persecute you, ….
Mat. 5:44-45

But perhaps the best thing is that he also brought the power to actually live by that.