• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What countries have you been to?

Spiderman

Veteran Member
I've been to America, Canada, and Portugal. What is the favorite country you have been to? I like Portugal. There were topless women at the beach and in the streets.

I love the shrine to Our Lady of Fatima and the huge crowds that showed up to burn candles and have a procession chanting "Ave Marias".

A girl I didn't even know wanted to hold my hand. Many of the people spoke English. I was trying to scratch my back and a lady just scratched it for me without my asking.

The people just seemed a lot nicer than Americans. I was complaining to my dad about a toy I wanted, and a random lady behind me who spoke English volunteered to purchase the toy for me.

I loved going to the ocean and catching crabs and loved the big waves.

My dad lost two custody battles so he kidnapped us and took us to Fatima Portugal to raise us there. The plan was foiled.

Once I get off probation, my retired dad has saved up the money that he's going to take me to various shrines in Europe.

That will be really culturally enriching and spiritually satiating.

Please share anything interesting you experienced in other countries.

exchemist

Veteran Member
I've been to America, Canada, and Portugal. What is the favorite country you have been to? I like Portugal. There were topless women at the beach and in the streets.

I love the shrine to Our Lady of Fatima and the huge crowds that showed up to burn candles and have a procession chanting "Ave Marias".

A girl I didn't even know wanted to hold my hand. Many of the people spoke English. I was trying to scratch my back and a lady just scratched it for me without my asking.

The people just seemed a lot nicer than Americans. I was complaining to my dad about a toy I wanted, and a random lady behind me who spoke English volunteered to purchase the toy for me.

I loved going to the ocean and catching crabs and loved the big waves.

My dad lost two custody battles so he kidnapped us and took us to Fatima Portugal to raise us there. The plan was foiled.

Once I get off probation, my retired dad has saved up the money that he's going to take me to various shrines in Europe.

That will be really culturally enriching and spiritually satiating.

Please share anything interesting you experienced in other countries.
UK where I live, USA, Canada, Mexico, Guatemala, El Salvador, Panama, Colombia, Ecuador, Brazil, Chile, Argentina, Norway, Sweden, Finland, Denmark, Netherlands, Belgium, France, Ireland, Spain, Portugal, Switzerland, Italy, Austria, Hungary, Greece, Russia, Turkey, Jordan, Morocco, Saudi Arabia, UAE, Oman, Kenya, Cote d'Ivoire, Nigeria, Zaire, India, Thailand, Singapore, Indonesia, Hong Kong, China, Japan, New Zealand.

But mostly on business, so while I have a lot of anecdotes I can't claim to have a lot of knowledge of most of them. However I lived in the US for 2 years (Houston, I'm afraid), in the Netherlands (The Hague) for 3 and in the Emirates (Dubai) for 4. I think I enjoyed the Emirates the most, due to the exposure to such a different culture, and the experience of the desert and the mountains - and I learnt to sail. Also my trips to Jordan: Jerash, the Dead Sea and Petra were fantastic experiences. I had a memorable holiday for 2 weeks in Colombia, with a local girl I had met on a business trip. You can go from the tropics to the tundra in a morning as you climb up the mountain ranges: sugar cane, coffee and oranges, grassy meadows, forests, and the bleakness of the Paramo. And then back down the other side to the next river valley. Great music too - very complex rhythms.

But after all the travel I am convinced the best region on Earth is Europe. The culture, the food and wine, the history and the beauty of both the landscape and notably the cities, which tend to be hideously ugly almost anywhere else in the world.

Altfish

Veteran Member
Not very well travelled but been to...
  • UK - where I live
  • Eire
  • USA
  • China
  • Italy (inc The Vatican - that can be argued is a separate country)
  • France
  • Holland
  • Germany
  • Spain
  • Portugal
  • Greece
  • Belgium
  • Poland
  • Hungary
  • Malta
  • Czech Republic
  • Austria
  • Switzerland
  • Lithuania
  • Latvia
  • Estonia
I've also traveled through (on a train)
  • Slovakia
  • Lichtenstein

Last edited:

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
But after all the travel I am convinced the best region on Earth is Europe. The culture, the food and wine, the history and the beauty of both the landscape and notably the cities, which tend to be hideously ugly almost anywhere else in the world.

I forgive you, since Melbourne doesn't appear to be on your list.

exchemist

Veteran Member
I forgive you, since Melbourne doesn't appear to be on your list.
Somehow I have not yet made it to Oz. My wife lived in Melbourne for 3 years and liked it a lot. She's no longer alive but I have a sister-in-law in New Caledonia. Maybe one day my son and I will do the big antipodean tour......

Spiderman

Veteran Member
UK where I live, USA, Canada, Mexico, Guatemala, El Salvador, Panama, Colombia, Ecuador, Brazil, Chile, Argentina, Norway, Sweden, Finland, Denmark, Netherlands, Belgium, France, Ireland, Spain, Portugal, Switzerland, Italy, Austria, Hungary, Greece, Russia, Turkey, Jordan, Morocco, Saudi Arabia, UAE, Oman, Kenya, Cote d'Ivoire, Nigeria, Zaire, India, Thailand, Singapore, Indonesia, Hong Kong, China, Japan, New Zealand.

But mostly on business, so while I have a lot of anecdotes I can't claim to have a lot of knowledge of most of them. However I lived in the US for 2 years (Houston, I'm afraid), in the Netherlands (The Hague) for 3 and in the Emirates (Dubai) for 4. I think I enjoyed the Emirates the most, due to the exposure to such a different culture, and the experience of the desert and the mountains - and I learnt to sail. Also my trips to Jordan: Jerash, the Dead Sea and Petra were fantastic experiences. I had a memorable holiday for 2 weeks in Colombia, with a local girl I had met on a business trip. You can go from the tropics to the tundra in a morning as you climb up the mountain ranges: sugar cane, coffee and oranges, grassy meadows, forests, and the bleakness of the Paramo. And then back down the other side to the next river valley. Great music too - very complex rhythms.

Wow! You got such an awesome life I don't know what you're doing here at RF :)

Spiderman

Veteran Member
Not very well travelled but been to...
  • UK - where I live
  • Eire
  • USA
  • China
  • Italy (inc The Vatican - that can be argued is a separate country)
  • France
  • Holland
  • Germany
  • Spain
  • Portugal
  • Greece
  • Belgium
  • Poland
  • Hungary
  • Malta
  • Czech Republic
  • Austria
  • Switzerland
  • Lithuania
  • Latvia
  • Estonia
I've also traveled through (on a train)
  • Slovakia
  • Lichtenstein
You're amazing! :)

exchemist

Veteran Member
Wow! You got such an awesome life I don't know what you're doing here at RF :)
Nah I just worked for an oil company and used to do quality assurance on luboil plants - and then was a product manager for a range of industrial lubes used in the marine and power industries. Hence all the travel. I'm retired now and like to indulge my interest n the history and philosophy of science - and do my bit to counteract the false dichotomy between religion and science that some people try to promote.

Oh, I left Taiwan off the list, where I discovered how nice to eat jellyfish can be and how nasty sea cucumber is - a local delicacy of course so extla herpings for honoured guest ...... a ******* to eat with chopsticks, too: all slimy.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
Somehow I have not yet made it to Oz. My wife lived in Melbourne for 3 years and liked it a lot. She's no longer alive but I have a sister-in-law in New Caledonia. Maybe one day my son and I will do the big antipodean tour......

I'll buy you a beer when you do.

Jim

Nets of Wonder
US, Canada, Mexico, Martinique, France, Bahamas, Montserrat, Ste Lucia, Guadeloupe, Belgium, Israel, China. I fell in love with Paris one day, when I was walking in Passy.

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
US (where I live), Canada, Turkey, Norway, Mexico, The Netherlands, Ireland, Costa Rica, France, The Bahamas, Jamaica, China.

So far

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
I have a friend whose count is 157 countries. He goes again a couple of times a year, usually to places he's yet to go to. So my first question when I see him is usually, "What's the number now?" People who don't know us find that odd, but he knows the question well, and just gives the number. His wife, a very jolly lady on her own, no longer goes with him, and has funny comments about his hobby.

UK, Holland, France, Germany, Belgium, Luxembourg, Spain, Italy, San Marino, Poland, Czech Republic, Switzerland, Denmark, Sweden, Indonesia, Singapore, Thailand, Malaysia, Laos, Cambodia, Vietnam, Phillipines, Qatar, Australia, Canada.

Technically I've been to the US too but they didn't let me in as I walked there from Canada without a passport. Canada then didn't want to let me back in either because I didn't have a passport. Cue fun with US customs officials and illegal alien paperwork :alien:

exchemist

Veteran Member
UK, Holland, France, Germany, Belgium, Luxembourg, Spain, Italy, San Marino, Poland, Czech Republic, Switzerland, Denmark, Sweden, Indonesia, Singapore, Thailand, Malaysia, Laos, Cambodia, Vietnam, Phillipines, Qatar, Australia, Canada.

Technically I've been to the US too but they didn't let me in as I walked there from Canada without a passport. Canada then didn't want to let me back in either because I didn't have a passport. Cue fun with US customs officials and illegal alien paperwork :alien:
Reminds me of the time I inadvertently crossed from the UAE into Oman, after getting a bit lost on a "wadi-bashing" trip in the mountains with my 4WD, and tried to return along the coast road. I got to a border post, where they wouldn't let me out of Oman because I didn't have an entry stamp. So according to them I had never come in.:confused:

There was nothing for it but to go back to the mountains and get lost again, but going vaguely West this time rather than East, and I did indeed pop back into existence in the UAE, eventually, some 50 miles from where we had intended to be. Luckily we managed it before nightfall.

Last edited:

BSM1

What? Me worry?
Set foot in at least 14 different countries from Mexico to Turkey while serving in Uncle Sam's little Canoe Club. As a side note, I am such a bad dancer that I have been banned from dancing in at least three of those countries.

`mud

Just old
Premium Member
Went to the Bahamas twice.
And the Keys, it's like another country !
That's it, My beach and my gardens is all that I need !

Marcion

gopa of humanity's controversial Taraka Brahma
I travelled in India, Bangladesh, Nepal, Philipines, Turkey, Greece, Hungary, Rumania, Poland, Czech Republic, Italy, Monaco, Spain, Portugal, Morroco, Austria, Germany, Netherlands, Luxembourg, Belgium, England, Scotland, Wales, France, Switserland, Denmark, Norway, Sweden. Passed through only (transit): Thailand, United Arab Emirates, Serbia, Croatia, Slovenia, Bulgaria. Never made it to Iceland.

ronki23

So far I've done:

1. Tanzania,
2. France (Paris, Normandy, Arromanche),
3. Belgium,
4. USA (New Jersey, New York, Washington DC, Virginia, Philadelphia),
5. Canada (Toronto, Ottowa, Quebec City, Montreal),
6. UAE (Dubai and Sharjah),
7. Spain (Tenerife),
8. China (Shanghai, Xi'an, Beijing),
9. India (Maharashtra)