• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What conspiracy theories do you believe are true?

What conspiracy theories do you believe are true?

• Covid19 is a hoax.

Votes: 2 50.0%
  • Climate Change is a hoax.

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • Evolution is a hoax.

• Moon landings were faked.

• "False flags" School shootings.

• Flat Earth

• Qanon

• Pizzagate

• Antivax

• Deep State/Illuminati

Votes: 3 75.0%

• Total voters

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Explain and discuss.

I don't believe in any of those offered in the poll, nor do I believe in any specific conspiracy theory.

However, I believe in the general idea common to all conspiracy theories: Power corrupts.

Politicians might be inclined to do bad things to get power and keep power. Wealthy people might do bad things to gain wealth and keep wealth. Such things are a part of human nature and therefore possible.

Not all conspiracy theories are the same. Some might be relatively mundane, such as the time our local government reported some missing money to the tune of hundreds of millions. Nobody knew where it was, nobody was talking, there was no evidence, no trace, so the whole thing pretty much fizzled out. However, it seems reasonable to posit a theory that there may have been a conspiracy among some city officials to embezzle the money, even if there's not enough evidence to actually charge someone with a crime. The way it looked, it seemed likely that someone stole the money, but was smart enough to cover their tracks so they wouldn't get caught.

But a conspiracy like that would only need a few key people to be able to pull it off. Some of the more popular conspiracy theories would require many more people across multiple agencies to keep quiet about it.

However, one thing that feeds the public's openness to conspiracy theories is the government's culture of secrecy. Lots of people who have top security clearance (or "Q" clearance, as my dad called it) are required to not reveal anything classified to anyone who is not cleared to know it.

JFK conspiracy theorists might point to the fact that the government still keeps some files on the assassination secret and away from public view, feeding the idea that "the government must be trying to hide something." Ironically, it was Oliver Stone's movie JFK which reignited public debate on the subject and prompted Congress to pass the JFK Act which led to previously classified files being released. But not all of them.

So, if conspiracy theories can be used to make government more transparent and to keep our politicians honest, then I guess they can't be all bad.

McBell

Resident Sourpuss
Explain and discuss.
Conspiracy theories I believe

Evolution
I mean the actual scientific theory of evolution.
Not the strawmen bull **** presented as evolution
Gravity
I mean the real science of gravity
Not the "Earth Sucks" version

Heyo

Veteran Member
Explain and discuss.
None of the above (though I think that the "deep state" is perfectly able to undermine laws by dragging their feet or executing them as they see fit).
But I'm not free from believing "conspiracy theories". E.g.: I'm still not convinced that 9/11 happened as described by the US government.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
None of them for me, but as mentioned, the JFK assassination still has elements that leave it open - to me at least - and it being the one event that shocked me most (being 18 at the time and being not long in work). I'm sure we are not aware of the truth behind many events, but it is rather better to keep an open mind for such rather than go down the path of conspiracy, since such is often just being more selective over things that we might not be able to prove as being correct, but just might seem plausible.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
It's My Birthday!
None, and I though my aluminium foil hat was very fetching.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
Conspiracy theories I believe
Evolution
I mean the actual scientific theory of evolution.
Not the strawmen bull **** presented as evolution
Gravity
I mean the real science of gravity
Not the "Earth Sucks" version

Eh? The idea that evolution is a hoax is the conspiracy theory, not evolution itself.

BSM1

What? Me worry?
I believe all conspiracy theories are true. However, I also believe there is a deep-seated and long running conspiracy to convince us to reject these theories out of hand.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
None, and I though my aluminium foil hat was very fetching.
5e3368bdff21c34f6846c2e72022548d--tin-foil-hat-alien-party.jpg