• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What Classical Music Awakens Your Mind/Spirit

Druidus

Keeper of the Grove
What classical music invigors you, delights you, and causes your mind/spirit to be awoken?

Pachabel's Canon in D Major, especially if you haven't heard it in some time, and it is played with violins (not pianos! And at the right tempo. I hate how they play it at weddings).

Some of Vivaldi's works will do the same, though perhaps not to the same level. I love the Four Seasons.

retrorich

SUPER NOT-A-MOD
Beethoven's Fifth Symphony: In my opinion, the greatest piece of music ever written. It never fails to thrill and inspire me.

Druidus

Keeper of the Grove
Beethoven's Fifth is good. I haven't heard "The Messiah" though. I must find it online...

Feathers in Hair

World's Tallest Hobbit
I really hope I'm not going to offend anyone by misspelling the pieces of music, or their composers, as I've mostly only heard them mentioned after I asked "Who wrote this?" or held record store clerks up by their collar while humming a piece of music to them and demanding that they find it for me. (Actually, I'm not all that strong, or that tall, so I usually have to ask the clerk nicely to stand on a pile of books, so I can pretend to do so.) So, if I offend anyone, the can whomp me over the head with a condutors baton.

I love the "Carmina Burana" dearly.

Due to watching "Amadeus" early in life, I also adore anything by Mozart. Perhaps it's my 'linguistic thinker' mind, but I enjoy recounting the dialouge as Saliari would describe pieces of music.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Apart from all the ones already mentioned, I have discovered some Baroque music from Latin America, entitled 'Ex Cathedra'; my favourite piece is one entitled 'Hanaq pachap kusikuynin' by an unknown composer, written in 1631.'Jerusalem' by William Blake; the choral from Bethoven's 9th - oh, and all the 'classical hymns' such as 'Onward Christian soldiers' - well there are too many to mention.:)

QTpi

Mischevious One
I love Mozart and Beethoven, but there is a work written by Schubert that is incredible. I heard it performed live with just a piano and a tenor singing and I don't think I breathed through the performance. It was really powerful. The piece is Erlkonig.

No*s

Captain Obvious
Druidus said:
Beethoven's Fifth is good. I haven't heard "The Messiah" though. I must find it online...

You might want to check it out of the library. It's about 2 hrs long ;). You probably have heard part of it: the Hallellujah Chorus that occurs at the resurrection (but which they always play at Christmas time go figure :rolleyes:).

No*s

Captain Obvious
retrorich said:
Beethoven's Fifth Symphony: In my opinion, the greatest piece of music ever written. It never fails to thrill and inspire me.

I may not consider it my favorite, but it's definately among the greatest. I keep it for the same reasons :).

Scuba Pete

Le plongeur avec attitude...
Die Valkure! Wagner
Guilliame Tell Overture (in it's entirety) Rossini
Geschichten aus dem Wienerwald Straus

These three inspire me greatly!

Master Vigil

While I don't listen to too much classical, but I love Yoyo Ma. :D

I also love John Williams, James Horner, Michael Kamen, Howard Shore, Brian Tyler, Danny Elfman, and Hanz Zimmer. Those are among my favorite modern composers.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Tchaikovsky, Handel, Beethoven.

I know these are sometimes considered "easy listening" in classical circles, but I'm not very musically sophisticated.

groovydancer88

I like Carmina Burana as well! I've played the first movement. Very powerful! Maize, what's the story behind it?

I also LOVE: Dvorak's New World Symphony, Debussy's The Girl With the Flaxen Hair, and his Prelude to the Afternoon of a Fawn, Rimsky-Korsakov's Russian Eastern Overture, Berlioz's Symphonie Fantastique, and Holst's The Planets. To name a few. Which reminds me... I should practice!!