• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What Cheap Eats Do You Like?

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
I just had some garbanzo beans (chickpeas) with hot pepper sauce.
Just open the can, drain the juice, & sprinkle on the Tabasco or other condiment.
What a treat!

Fresh kale directly from the garden. Even better, a carrot.

Rice, (I freeze a few single portions, for the fast occasion) with salsa, and melted cheese.

Erebus

Frozen pizza.

I prefer burnt food so cheap pizzas are better than the ones you'd get in a takeaway or restaurant. Most people just don't appreciate the flavour of charcoal.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
French pastries, pain au raisin, croissant aux amandes, bostock

Rice cooked with a stock cube. Possibly with a tin of chickpeas, sweetcorn or a handful of frozen peas thrown in.

Peanut butter on fresh bread

Strawberries, figs or grapes from the garden, or a soup of wild mushrooms you can't get cheaper then free eats

SigurdReginson

Grēne Mann
Premium Member
There's a joint nearby that sells something called a "greatful bowl." It's a bowl of brown rice covered in cheese, and it comes with salsa, a bowl of fresh fruit, and a fresh baked muffin that comes in a random flavor. The flavor could be anything from ginger snap to lemon bar and everything in between.

The whole thing costs $4.20. Groovy. :peace::D

Quetzal

A little to the left and slightly out of focus.
Premium Member
Just open the can, drain the juice, & sprinkle on the Tabasco or other condiment.
What a treat!
Nice! I like lentils with steamed veggies of some sort (green beans are my current favorite).

Meow Mix

Chatte Féministe
What a treat!

When I have extra taco shells I’ll use them like tortilla chips and either eat ‘em with salsa or sprinkle shredded cheese as impromptu nachos in the toaster oven.

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
What a treat!
I did that with barbeque sauce, which was good, but the sauce was expensive and had sugar in it. Maybe I'll try it with some chalula sauce next time.

peanut butter & jelly sandwich with milk for dipping -- but I don't do this nowadays. Once in a while I'll make bread and then might make it.

Another cheap eat is cabbage braised in butter with some fennel seed, then simmered in water until done, and to this I usually add something sweet and some salt or soy sauce. You can add various flavors.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I did that with barbeque sauce, which was good, but the sauce was expensive and had sugar in it. Maybe I'll try it with some chalula sauce next time.

peanut butter & jelly sandwich with milk for dipping -- but I don't do this nowadays. Once in a while I'll make bread and then might make it.

Another cheap eat is cabbage braised in butter with some fennel seed, then simmered in water until done, and to this I usually add something sweet and some salt or soy sauce. You can add various flavors.
I like Chalula.
Mild but nice taste.

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member
What a treat!
IMO the best food is simple food. Usually, the food coming from a poor people tradition of making the best with just a few and simple ingredients.

When I go to an elegant restaurant, usually because someone else wants to, the only things I like are in the kinder menu. Bolognese spaghetti, pizza with spicy salami, Schnipo, etc. What else do we need?

Ciao

- viole

Last edited:

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Frozen pizza.

I prefer burnt food so cheap pizzas are better than the ones you'd get in a takeaway or restaurant. Most people just don't appreciate the flavour of charcoal.
I like burnt food too. Two weeks into our marriage, Boss burned the toast. I complained, and she stared me down threatening me in the only way a loving spouse can. Ever since then I've liked anything burnt.

Last edited:

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
For those non-americans who may not know, when we say "jelly" we mean fruit spread, not gelatin, which I imagine would not pair well with peanut butter.