• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What can you tell me about Taoism?

Lorgar-Aurelian

What can you tell me about Taoism, it's practices, it's theology and it's philosophy? How does one become a Taoist? What makes one a Taoist?

wizanda

One Accepts All Religious Texts
Premium Member
What can you tell me about Taoism, it's practices, it's theology and it's philosophy?
Taoism is based on the Tao Te Ching by Lao Tzu, he was sage who was about to retire, and wrote down the book of short poems, that have immense depth.

The are lot of religious practises that came about after, intermingling Chinese folklore into it; though the religious text doesn't specify it.

It is more a way of thinking, to summarize what the Tao is describing, it is the nameless logic that was used to create reality, the inherent wisdom that is interwoven into everything.
How does one become a Taoist? What makes one a Taoist?
Read the Tao Te Ching, then spend years comprehending its deeper meanings...

Tao Te Ching (Shambhala Pocket Classics)

Personally would recommend this little version, as love the translators wording due to it flowing, and it being quite clear. :innocent:

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member
From what I am told there is a proper Taoist religion in the east however Taoism is practiced in many different ways and doesn't conform to a how we see a religion for most. Taoism is mostly practiced as a life philosophy. Myself, I like the philosophy and I like the writings. I read the writings and practice the philosophy so I identify as a Taoist. The Wikipedia link is a good start to finding the different books.

Taoism - Wikipedia

outlawState

Deism is dead
Tao Te Ching is one of the world's greatest books. It reflects biblical teachings in so many ways e.g. "the Great Tao is a unified Oneness which can not be separated apart." Also contrast Tao te Ching 80:1 "An ideal nation is small and with few people, " c.f. Deut 7;7 "The LORD did not set his affection on you and choose you because you were more numerous than other peoples, for you were the fewest of all peoples."

Tao Te Ching lacks the biblical inculcation and knowledge of God's plans, and it lacks the New Testament revelation of a personal God and salvation, as it is largely divined from observing God's ways through nature, although it does save in a way by direct the soul towards the path of enlightenment.

As for Taoism the religion, its probably not worth bothering with as corrupted by man, and indeed Tao Te Ching deprecates the "Tao of man" as "otherwise" than the eternal Tao (Ch 77).

Last edited:

Jumi

Taoism is a collection of philosophies, methods and religions most of which give credit to Lao-Tze, Chuang-Tze and Lieh-Tze. More religion based Taoists believe it to be founded by the Yellow Emperor thousands of years ago or even earlier than that.

The Emperor of Mankind

Currently the galaxy's spookiest paraplegic
What can you tell me about Taoism, it's practices, it's theology and it's philosophy? How does one become a Taoist? What makes one a Taoist?

Daoism traces its roots to Lao Tzu who may or may not have been a contemporary of Confucius. From Master Lao, Daoism remained a purely philosophical tradition until the creation of the Wuodoumi Sect in Sichuan towards the end of the Eastern Han dynasty. This 'Celestial Masters' sect constituted the birth of religious Taoism - the Celestial Masters taught that the deified Lao Tzu (who religious Daoists view as the first being created by the Dao) had descended from Heaven to Crane-call Mountain in the then kingdom of Shu and formed a new divine covenant with the first Celestial Master, Zhang Daoling. So religious Daoism is considered a revealed religion. He was instructed to construct a new state populated only by 'the chosen' i.e. those who joined the sect.

After that both religious & philosophical trends waxed and waned over the course of centuries. The latter has notable philosophers like Zhuangzi and Liehzi to its name. There's also the literary body called Huainanzi which is a synthesis of Confucian, Daoist, Mohist and Legalist writings.