• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What Can You Tell Me About God?

What do you know about God?

• I've experienced God and He is ineffable. I cannot describe Him in words.

Votes: 2 8.3%
  • I have not experienced God, and as a human I cannot know or describe Him.

Votes: 4 16.7%
  • I know a few of God's qualities based on my experience, but for the most part, God is ineffable.

Votes: 4 16.7%
  • God created man in His image, therefore I can describe his qualities.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I can describe God based on what I've learned in Scripture and worship.

Votes: 2 8.3%
  • Other. Describe below.

Votes: 12 50.0%

• Total voters

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
God is a plausible Philosophical theory for me given there are some things, even personal experiences, I can't *quite* explain.

God is Perfection, Omnipotent, Omniscient, All-Knowing, All-Seeing, Ineffable, Without Error, Without Contradiction, One....and because God gave us freewill, God does not operate on this World.

ajay0

Pure consciousness is also pure love. And this is why Jesus stated that "God is love." John 4:8

"Pure consciousness is pure love, and love is the highest healer on the planet - you can say, it is your natural Self." - Sri Sri Ravi Shankar

Interestingly, pure consciousness is also emphasized in Buddhism as well as the ‘amala’ consciousness. This level is free from the impurities of karma and is therefore called the fundamental pure consciousness, corresponding to the Buddha nature.

Consiousness from a buddhist view

https://www.worldtribune.org/2018/08/concept-nine-levels-consciousness/

Similarly, in Jainism as well, pure consciousness is considered synonymous with the enlightened state.

One who remains equanimously in the midst of pleasures and pains is a Sramana, being in the state of pure consciousness. - Mahavira ((Pravachansara, 1/14).

Last edited:

usfan

I'll toss in some thoughts..

1. God is very mysterious.
Thousands of years of human history have not brought us to any consensus as to the nature or even existence of God. This is probably the central question for human philosophy, yet we (collectively) don't really know much about Him.
2. God is distant. He has what seems to be a 'laissez faire' view of humanity. Things go on pretty much randomly, with no apparent goal or purpose. He does not seem to be involved in our social processes. He does not intervene if we are stupid or destructive, but lets us do whatever we want.
3. God is not moved by death. Humans are terrified of death. We agonize over it, pace around, wringing our hands over wrongful death, injustice, or suffering. But God seems unmoved by it. The whole system of life revolves around death.
4. God has allowed or provided a beautiful world for us. Beauty & awe are all around us, & move us to powerful emotions. The natural world is both terrifying & beautiful. The variety is amazing, & the nature of the universe is beyond our understanding, even after thousands of years of collective knowledge.
5. God is orderly. Laws of nature are consistent, & dependable. Humans may be fickle, but god is not.

ajay0

Pure consciousness is also emphasized in Sikhism which states that the Atma and Paramatma are one and the same and is pure consciousness without any content.

Concept of Mind, Body and Soul in the Sikh Scripture (SGGS) | SikhNet

Consciousness is the state or quality of awareness, of being aware of an external object or something within oneself. In fact, consciousness is directed outwards to objects, inwards to soul (atma). Atma is pure consciousness without any content. Atma is not different from Paramatma, the Cosmic Consciousness. Bhagat Kabir designated it as Ram ki ans (a by-product of Ram). It is the subtlest, purest essence of life.

WalterTrull

Godfella
The God Most High within my NDE appeared like a man on a throne, surrounded by rainbows floating on a cloud, from my perceptions to begin; yet this was an expectation, thus it becomes manifest in a place of pure consciousness...
Holy cow (so to speak). No wonder we're so messed up

wizanda

One Accepts All Religious Texts
Premium Member
No wonder we're so messed up
Actually if we take the whole of the post, rather than the bit that sounds anthropomorphised; we're in a highly efficient computer system, and this current reality is down Near Hell to test who is paying attention.

In my opinion. :innocent:

r2d2009

38694-1d55b6dc4c88e6feea91a7d9548f4ca2.jpg

A small compilation of descriptions of God the Father from Christian sources (canonical and apocrypha).

God-the-Father

“… He alone exists… He has existed since all eternity, and His existence will have no end.

“He has no equal either in Heaven or on the Earth.

“The Great Creator has not shared His power with any living being…, He alone possesses omnipotence.” (The Life of Saint Issa, 5:16-17)

“The Eternal Lawgiver is one. There is no other god, but He. He has not shared the world with anyone, neither has He informed anyone of His intentions.” (The Life of Saint Issa, 6:10)

“… The Lord our God… is all-mighty, omniscient, and omnipresent. It is He Who possesses all wisdom and all light. It is to Him you must address yourselves to be consoled in your sorrows, helped in your works, and cured in your sickness. Whosoever shall have recourse to Him shall not be denied.

“The secrets of nature are in the hands of God. For the world, before it appeared, existed in the depth of the Divine thought; it became material and visible by the will of the Supreme.

“When you address yourselves to Him, become again as childrenJesus), and declare unto you, that God is Light, and in Him there is no darkness at all” (1 John 1:5).

The majority of these words of Jesus were not included in the New Testament by the Church leaders at the end of 4-th century after Jesus’ visit on the Earth. And this predestined the deflection of the majority of Christians from monotheism. They have almost forgotten God-the-Father, though He and the Path to Him were the essence of Jesus’ preachings. Thus, their ontological, epistemological, and methodological views became baseless.

------------------------------
Taken here:
God-the-Father

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
I don't think any human being is able to describe what God truly is or isn't. We can only speculate. and most of what we "think" God is would be far from what God actually is

j1i

Smiling is charity without giving money
Can you describe God? What are his qualities? To what degree is God ineffable?

God is the first without beginning and the last one without end.

first:-
2:255 God! There is no god except He, the Living, the Everlasting. Neither slumber overtakes Him, nor sleep. To Him belongs everything in the heavens and everything on earth. Who is he that can intercede with Him except with His permission? He knows what is before them, and what is behind them; and they cannot grasp any of His knowledge, except as He wills. His Throne extends over the heavens and the earth, and their preservation does not burden Him. He is the Most High, the Great.

second:-
7: 54 Your Lord is God; He who created the heavens and the earth in six days, then established Himself on the Throne. The night overtakes the day, as it pursues it persistently; and the sun, and the moon, and the stars are subservient by His command. His is the creation, and His is the command. Blessed is God, Lord of all beings.

7: 55 Call upon your Lord humbly and privately. He does not love the aggressors.

7: 56 And do not corrupt on earth after its reformation, and pray to Him with fear and hope. God’s mercy is close to the doers of good.

Jesuslightoftheworld

The world has nothing to offer us!

My description of God is an entity and of the Spirit. He is perfect in nature, omniscient, omnipotent, and omnipresent. He is the Creator; pure love, pure light, and He created life. I believe the Bible has revealed enough of His nature to know Him but is ineffable at that point for our tiny brains to conceive anything more. There is so much more; infinite and eternal.

firedragon

Veteran Member

1. Cannot describe God.
2. His qualities are not human. So we can only think of qualities that suits us.
3. Human qualities can be described. But thats based on human thinking. Ah there, God forgave his sin because he repented. There you go, he is merciful. Thats just something that happens naturally. Is it a quality? We dont know. If we do then we can describe God which will contradict point 1.

Peace.

Heyo

Veteran Member
I have no concept of god or gods. I think it is the duty of those who proclaim there to be one (or several) to come up with a definition they can agree upon.
This OP is a good example why I say that nobody has knowledge of the nature of gods. As many opinions as there are posters and not even an attempt at consolidating the different opinions. Believers like their imaginary friends just as they envision them. No need to find common ground.

j1i

Smiling is charity without giving money
My description of God is an entity and of the Spirit. He is perfect in nature, omniscient, omnipotent, and omnipresent. He is the Creator; pure love, pure light, and He created life. I believe the Bible has revealed enough of His nature to know Him but is ineffable at that point for our tiny brains to conceive anything more. There is so much more; infinite and eternal.

The soul is one of God’s creation. God created spirits so that the creature could live, move in, and remove them from the bodies of living beings at any time
God brought spirit into the angels and prophets, including Jesus, the righteous, and many creatures
God gave the license to Jesus to work in the spirit under the permission of God in a limited way as a sign of his prophecy and not his deity

Bird123

God hides nothing. In fact we all know God whether we know we know God or not. After death and between lives, we will all go to God. There will be no names. Everyone already knows who everyone is. Truly communication at it's best.

We were created in God's image as we are all Spiritual beings in our true natures.

God has an IQ off the charts. God works on multiple levels with multiple views. We are but mere ants. A true conversation with God might last a few minutes but will take a week to realize all that was said. Further, one has to wonder what went over one's head and was never understood at all.

God is Unconditional Love. God is this way because it is the most intelligent way to be. Like I said. God is not short on intelligence

God has an infinite number of children. They are all Special in their own way. They are all Special to God.

God created this physical universe for His children. It's time-based causal nature is Perfect for learning.

God grants free will simply because true total learning can not be accomplished without it. God is guiding all His children toward perfection through their free choices.

Life isn't about walking on eggshells, afraid of hurting God. Life is simply learning through our choices regardless of what those choices are.

WE are choosing what we want to learn. Still many can choose hard lessons for themselves, and yet the only thing that matters is the learning and who you will become after learning some choices are not really viable choices one should make.

Still, there is no hate. Make your choices, learn, and walk toward perfection. You will never make an omelette without breaking a few eggs. Be who you must! It's a part of the Plan!

In time, we will all reach a Higher Level free from so many of the petty things that hurt so many such as Hating, Judging, Blaming,Condemning, Controlling, Manipulating, Intimidating, Coercing, Selfishness, and Ego. It is so Refreshing to be with a Being who has none of these things, only Unconditional Love. This is when I realized we could all choose to be that way too. I know that is where we are headed through our education anyway.

Like I said. God is very very Smart. Eternity is a long time and yet there will always be something to do. There will always be purpose. There is so much to learn and experience that this might take up most of eternity, however when one reaches the point of completion, there is more. You can Teach for there will be an infinite number of children who will need your wisdom.

Well, that's enough for now. That's what I am seeing. It's very very clear to me. There is Genius behind it all. It is a Masterpiece. It will get really good when one can finally let go of those petty things. How much better will it be when we can choose not to have them return to us?

You have all my Love and Kindness!!

Hawkins

God is an invisible being, that's why He will do something humans incapable of to identify Himself. Humans in general cannot do two things,
1) humans cannot tell a future. That's why God's eyewitnesses are called the prophets.
2) humans cannot break our physics laws. That's why God comes with a lot of miracles.