1. Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What can we learn from the recent dispute between the ACA and Rationality Rules?

Discussion in 'Human Affairs, Political Movements and Charities' started by LuisDantas, May 14, 2019.

1. Shadow Wolf

Shadow Wolf Crazy Diamond

Ratings:
    +15,947
    Religion:
    God is in the Rain
    When it comes to numerous sports competitions, we can think of the body as a machine. For any trans-woman who transitioned after a male puberty, this is problematic as it does create an unfair advantage through the skeletal structure and muscles they probably didn't quit using and thus never lost. Men do tend to excel in certain events while women excel in others. There aren't many like shooting where the puberty you went through is utterly irrelevant, and few where a gendered advantage can be rendered useless.

2. Subduction Zone

Subduction Zone Veteran Member

Ratings:
    +11,878
    Religion:
    Atheist
    In my opinion the ACA jumped the gun. Rationality Rules may have been wrong, and it appears that he was in several ways, but he is far from transphobic. I have inadvertently offended some of our trans members here due to my ignorance. I was perfectly willing to learn how I was wrong and I am sure that Steve would do the same. Putting him down without a fair hearing reeks of what atheists hate and that is dogma. They also knew about this controversy before he was a guest. They should have worked this out before he was a guest rather than throwing him under the bus.

Right now the ACA looks far worse than Steven does in my opinion.

• Like Like x 1
  3. ADigitalArtist

ADigitalArtist Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +6,723
    Religion:
    Irreligious Agnostic Atheistic Apatheist
    Hence why I think purely performance, not genders and sexes, should set the standards for weightclasses, leagues, etc. Then those who don't conform to the expectation aren't punished by it. It might mean that lower leagues are primarily occupied by CIS women for certain sports, but that's pretty much where we are already, as male dominated sports leagues are by in large invested in and followed more than their female equivalents. Women's sports is already a ****ty place for women to be in (comparably).

4. ADigitalArtist

ADigitalArtist Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +6,723
    Religion:
    Irreligious Agnostic Atheistic Apatheist
    The only difference between the dogma of some theists and the dogma of some atheists is the atheists are more likely to miss it when they have it, while criticizing it.

5. LuisDantas

LuisDantas Aura of atheification

Ratings:
    +13,542
    Religion:
    Advocate of letting go of theism. Buddhist with an emphasis on personal understanding.
    Uh, NO.

6. Shad

Shad Veteran Member

Ratings:
    +2,677
    Religion:
    Theological noncognitivist
    Men beating women in sports is not remarkable. Been doing it since I was 5.

7. Shadow Wolf

Ratings:
    +15,947
    Religion:
    God is in the Rain
    Women tend to have the upper hand in contests of agility nd flexibility, whereas men generally have the advantage in strength.

8. Shad

Shad Veteran Member

Ratings:
    +2,677
    Religion:
    This does not pan out in most sports nor even in routine testing in police and firefighters.

9. Shadow Wolf

Ratings:
    +15,947
    Religion:
    God is in the Rain
    It pans out in biology and Olympic records. 100%, no, but not 100% of men are taller than women, though they generally are.

10. Shad

Shad Veteran Member

Ratings:
    +2,677
    Religion:
    Which records would that be? A tiny minority in low popularity sports which proves the exception to the rule thus validate what I said? Events which are not an actual sport?

11. Nowhere Man

Nowhere Man Bompu Zen Man with a little bit of Bushido.

Ratings:
    +7,686
    Religion:
    Zen Buddhism
    If they are attracted to same sex then they clearly are not hetrosexual. Personally I think it's an apple and oranges thing givin it's a sexually deviant behavior no matter what the orientation is.

• Winner Winner x 1
  12. shane

shane New Member

Ratings:
    +4
    Religion:
    atheist
    Kinda like how I missed the point I guess lol

13. Koldo

Koldo Incredible Member

Ratings:
    +1,204
    What Olympic record do you have in mind ?

14. meritcoba

meritcoba New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Religion:
    None

If you just throw out statements like you did in your first post it just comes over as ill considered. I am still unconvinced that it wasn't. Arguing your case in hindsight is just that and you are still basing most of your arguments on assumptions. You assume what Matt's position is. You assume what ACA thinks. You assume what Woodfords altered views are. And that is the thing. Aside from the lack or any arguments in your initial post you still base yourself on assumptions in this one. And even to go further. You argue the case that the Board of Directors of ACA labelled Woodford as transphobe, which I can't find from their statement.

I agree with you that on the face of it the Board of Directors of ACA did not handle the case well. If I had been them I would have called Stephen Woodford and talked to him about his video. Not as to make him change his mind, but to make sure that we are both in agreement in what his vision is. If at that point there was a disagreement then I would perhaps made a statement about that. I also think that the way ACA handled things feels like backstabbing Stephen Woodford. Even besides all this is not something he deserves. As far as I know he is a honest person trying to do his best. Even if he is mistaken he should have been cut some slack cause he is a nice guy..

15. meritcoba

meritcoba New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Religion:
    None
    Sorry.. I wrote an extensive reply but it got blocked for reasons I do not know.

It is very annoying to write a reply to a post and then on the moment you post it loose it all because of unknown reasons. I don't even have the reply saved.

16. meritcoba

meritcoba New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Religion:
    None
    Seems I cannot edit any post I made without getting a notice that it cannot be change as my edit is seen as inappropriate or spam. My excuse for any issues..

17. shane

shane New Member

Ratings:
    +4
    Religion:
    atheist
    I assume what matt's position is when he posted to his own facebook that he agrees with stephen? Ok.

If you just throw out statements like you just did in your post it just comes over as ill considered.

18. Prestor John

Prestor John Well-Known Member
    It's My Birthday!

Ratings:
    +201
    Religion:
    Latter-Day Saint
    Well, there is a NBA and a WNBA, why not a TNBA?

Men that believe they are women (MtF Transgender) should only play with/against other men that believe they are women (MtF Transgender).

Same goes for women who believe they are men (FtM Transgender).

Problem solved.

19. LuisDantas

LuisDantas Aura of atheification

Ratings:
    +13,542
    Religion:
    Advocate of letting go of theism. Buddhist with an emphasis on personal understanding.
    That would hardly help in integrating people, now would it?

20. Prestor John

Prestor John Well-Known Member
    It's My Birthday!

Ratings:
    +201
    Religion:
    Latter-Day Saint
    Sports are about fair competition, not integration.

That is why men play in the NBA and women play in the WNBA.

It would not be fair to force women to compete with men in basketball.