• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What can happen when you believe nonsense...

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
A chap in Arizona, Pablo Martinez, believed that his six-year-old son was possessed by a demon, because the boy exploded in a "fit of unnatural rage" at bath time. And so, of course, he poured scalding water down the boy's (presumably unwilling) throat, then held his head under water for 5-10 minutes. Well, naturally, the boy died -- presumably taking the "demon" with him.

I often wish the human species wasn't quite so prone to believing irrational things. It's not always a good thing...

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Another fine example of freedom of religion being allowed too much freedom, so much that we say "oh well, it's religion," while under any other circumstance we call it criminal or mentally ill behavior.

Stanyon

WWMRD?
Not sure what the debate was because I don't think anyone could debate honestly that what that person did wasn't mentally deranged. Makes one wonder what else may have been going on in that child's life that he didn't want to take a bath, maybe he was molested by someone and he equated bath time with abuse? Or maybe just didn't like baths who knows and it's probably not good to speculate but still such a violent reaction had to come from somewhere.

Anyway, here is what can happen if one doesn't listen to flat earthers:

65a4c69449bb0e3d9cd055b80dda244e.jpg

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member
A chap in Arizona, Pablo Martinez, believed that his six-year-old son was possessed by a demon, because the boy exploded in a "fit of unnatural rage" at bath time. And so, of course, he poured scalding water down the boy's (presumably unwilling) throat, then held his head under water for 5-10 minutes. Well, naturally, the boy died -- presumably taking the "demon" with him.

I often wish the human species wasn't quite so prone to believing irrational things. It's not always a good thing...

When is it a good thing?

Ciao

- viole

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member

He should have his head examined. I'm sure the law will run its course.

It reminds me of another "irrational thing" that people believed.

Self-proclaimed atheist charged in slayings of Muslim students near UNC Chapel Hill

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
While I will admit that atheists can be just as insane as theists, what specific irrational belief in this case was based in atheism?

In the OP, the basic irrational belief (in demon possession) is actually an aspect of many religions.

He added: “... the moment that your religion claims any kind of jurisdiction over my experience, you insult me on a level that you can’t even begin to comprehend.” from quoted site.

You might say that what he said is not a tenant of atheism... which would be true.

However,
he poured scalding water down the boy's (presumably unwilling) throat, then held his head under water for 5-10 minutes.

There is absolutely no support for this treatment in scripture and thus, as I said, "he should have his head examined."

MonkeyFire

If faith is reality and truth then I would call into questing the authenticity, and validity of the faith. He's either a false believer or non-believer. God wouldn't take that crap.

Terry Sampson

the basic irrational belief (in demon possession) is actually an aspect of many religions.

IMO, the story revolves around two beliefs:
  1. A human can be demon-possessed;
  2. The "best practices" cure for demon-possession is pouring scalding water down the possessed person's throat, or some other physically abusive action.
#1 may well be true in many religions.
#2 may or may not have been true in the abusive father's religion, if indeed he has one. But I'd like to see a count of the religions who believe that the father's treatment was a "best practice".

Audie

Veteran Member
Not sure what the debate was because I don't think anyone could debate honestly that what that person did wasn't mentally deranged. Makes one wonder what else may have been going on in that child's life that he didn't want to take a bath, maybe he was molested by someone and he equated bath time with abuse? Or maybe just didn't like baths who knows and it's probably not good to speculate but still such a violent reaction had to come from somewhere.

65a4c69449bb0e3d9cd055b80dda244e.jpg

Amazing photograph

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
If you didn't already know It was from an album cover from a band called Kansas in 1977, the album was called "Point of Know Return". I think "dust in the Wind" was one of the best songs on it.

I also liked 'Point of Know Return' and 'Closet Chronicles'.

Terry Sampson

Malarkey! You can't sail off the edge of earth. Antartica is in the way. Maybe, ... just maybe, if you can get past Antartica, you could end up on the other side of the Flat Earth, but you're not going to just "drop off" into space. Haven't you heard of gravity?

gleason's-flat-earth-map.jpg
Orlando Ferguson Flat Earth Map copy.jpg

shmogie

I have the same wish as you.

All across the human spectrum, irrational things can be believed.

However, there is no guideline that universally defines irrational behavior in all situations.

I have seen people make irrational choices ( based upon my definition at the time) and be vindicated for doing the right thing. Of course, I have seen just the opposite as well, many times.

I think rationality judgement by others is very subjective, based upon their ideas, beliefs, biases, and emotions.

I think the standard criteria used in the law is the best judgement. If they are not a threat to physically harm others, or themselves, just leave them alone.

Irrational choices have a resultant effect, and the person must suffer the consequences, whether it be an angry wife, losing a job, or spending your life in prison.

Bob the Unbeliever

If faith is reality and truth then I would call into questing the authenticity, and validity of the faith. He's either a false believer or non-believer. God wouldn't take that crap.

No True Scotsman. And? Apparently not only DOES god take that crap?

It's so common (across the world) that god takes far worse "crap" than even that... and does absolutely nothing.