• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What can fortune and fame not buy?

Spiderman

Veteran Member
What are some things that money, good job, career, and fortune and fame not offer? Some might say it cannot buy love, but that would depend on what a person's definition of love is. A lot of people would consider a successful rich person to be more lovable than a bum for instance.

There is certainly evidence that fortune and fame cannot buy happiness. A lot of deaths from drug overdoses and even suicides come from people who had great jobs, careers, fortune, or fame.

Also, I don't think all of those celebrities would be addicted to drugs, if they were truly happy. In my experience, drug and alcohol use is often found in people who are very miserable, scared, or mentally ill and trying to self-medicate their misery, emptiness, sickness, or pain.

There are completely impoverished people who are very happy. From the research I've done, it appears that the evidence is that poor developing countries have a lower suicide rate than First World countries on average.

I don't think money can buy sanity as a general rule. Perhaps they can afford the nutrition that could somewhat increase how content they are with life. They can afford more hobbies and a nice sports car, a yacht perhaps, nicer clothes, or a mansion, but there have been suicides who had all that.

I guess to some standards, money can purchase for a person the possessions and clothing that would make them feel better about themselves, so perhaps for some people, having lots of money will have more ways to raise their self-esteem and self-worth.

I really have little interest in money while sober as long as I can afford a trantula, incense, candles, and flowers for a shrine and nice Rosary lol. What I want is holiness, enlightenment, spiritual maturity, mental and emotional maturity, understanding, wisdom, and unity with God and heavenly beings; something money cannot purchase.

Vee

Premium Member
Real friends who love you for who you are and not what you have.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
Inner peace (though they are better poised to attain it than the average Joe public).

For many, celebrity brings near permanent financial solvency, and with that out of the way, one has a lot more time to direct towards endeavors with different rewards.

Reactions: Vee

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
I would say it can't buy a normal life.

What's the point of being rich and wealthy if you're forced to live in gated communities with armed guards, disguising your identity whenever you go out, dodging paparazzi and an endless parade of fans, photographers, and reporters, while not knowing any more who exactly you're real friends are and not people and family chumming up to you just because you're wealthy and famous.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
Real friends who love you for who you are and not what you have.
I DO agree, but ... even there, fame and fortune brings an endless array of people into your orbit and so increases the chances of finding those special diamonds in the rough.