• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What book(s) are you reading now?

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member
New Book
Sinclair Lewis It can't happen here

The similarities of the people to today's world are scary. The aftermath of the Great Depression against the aftermath of the Great recession. Seems the middle class always gets the shaft. The Fascist leader elected is only slightly like Trump thankfully otherwise I wouldn't be able to sleep at night.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I'm approaching the end of A Game of Thrones (and I blew through the previous 100 pages I read very quickly), will be hitting my target goal of two months per book with this series, and moving on to A Clash of Kings.

Falvlun

Earthbending Lemur
Premium Member
I'm reading the Red Rising trilogy. It's in the same vein as Hunger Games: dystopian future, people separated into Colors, which define their existence, and the lowest Colors get fed up and decided to fight back.

Not terribly original, but a fun read.

Wu Wei

ursus senum severiorum and ex-Bisy Backson
Comparative Religion for Dummies

51DpobdJ8XL._SR600%2C315_PIWhiteStrip%2CBottomLeft%2C0%2C35_PIAmznPrime%2CBottomLeft%2C0%2C-5_PIStarRatingFOUR%2CBottomLeft%2C360%2C-6_SR600%2C315_ZA(42%20Reviews)%2C445%2C286%2C400%2C400%2Carial%2C12%2C4%2C0%2C0%2C5_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Jedster

The Body in Jingling Pot by J.R.Ellis

A murder mystery which takes place in Yorkshire.
Well researched on the local terrain.
Would be of particular interest to cavers/potholers.

Last edited:

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I took a break from A Song of Ice and Fire, and read the first two books of the Incarnations of Immortality series. I'm not enjoying as much as I did in high school, but they're still good with some pretty funny parts.
And it's back to A Song of Ice and Fire, book 4, A Feast for Crows.

robocop (actually)

Premium Member
I have recently read "Molecular Biology of the Cell" the highlighted information, MAUS, and "The 12th planet" by Jeremy Sitchin.

More recently I have completed:
Improve your Social Skills
Void: The Strange Physics of Nothing
Esoteric Cosmology
Sensitive Chaos
Philosophy of Biology
Philosophy of Mathematics
My two books
Intuitive thinking
Signature in the Cell (and I believe in Atheist Intelligent Design: Sensetive Chaos although it never says it seems to be creationist in some way too)

I am currently in the process of reading:
Metaphysics by Aristotle
Tom Sawyer
Epistemology
Epicurus Principles and Doctrines
Essential Epicurus
3D Math Primer for Graphics and Game Development
Nanotechnology for Dummies
Stem Cells for Dummies
100 inventions that shaped world history
Trust me I know what I'm doing
Stem Cells: An Insider's Guide
Stem Cells: Promise and Reality
The Fundamentals of Nanotechnology An Advanced Tutorial
Stem Cell A rising tide.
Radical Abundance; How a Revolution in nanotechnology will change civilization
Philosophy of Physics
Excelling at Chess (I don't recommend it)
Evolution: Still a Theory in Crisis
Dianetics
SIlman's Complete Guide to Chess Endgames (I recommend it)

I want to get more books on these subjects, books on Genetic Engineering, and Star Talk with Neil deGraff Tyson. if that's his name. That "Comparative Religion for Dummies" looks good too.

I'm a pretty slow reader and some days I can't read, but I keep it up!

Last edited:

robocop (actually)

Premium Member
Hey! I should have looked at Comparative Religions first. I was hoping it would contain more than just Judaism, Christianity and Islam but that's OK it will still be good.

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member
Just finished Born A Crime by Trevor Noah a biography of his time in Africa. Brutally honest book keeps it lite enough not to be depressing but an eye opening read on Apartheid and how bad life can get yet you still can succeed. I wouldn't call it a message of hope but a message on survival.

Biggest problem is that he kept jumping around in age. The chapters are about lessons he learned not chronological. Also He sometimes explains in to much detail.

Baladas

An Págánach
I've just started "From Scythia to Camelot" by C. Scott Littleton and Linda A. Malcor which is a scholarly work arguing that there are Scythian origins for many threads of the Arthurian legends. It's very interesting so far.

Last edited:

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
I have been re-reading a book few people have heard of ...

It is called "Lost Art of Compassion" by Lorne Ladner.

Here's a little taste -

Modern culture has overlooked one of the most powerful inner resources for creating a life of happiness and contentment. With The Lost Art of Compassion, clinical psychologist and long time Tibetan Buddhist practioner Lorne Ladner rescues compassion from the margins and demonstrates its potential to transform our daily lives.

While interest in positive psychology is just dawning in the West, the cultivation of compassion has been a cornerstone of Tibetan Buddhism for over a thousand years. This is the first book to incorporate the Tibetan Buddhist teachings most suited to the demands of our busy lives and provides a crucial perspective lacking in Western psychology. Bringing together the best contributions of psychology and Buddhism, Dr. Ladner bridges the gap between East and West, theory and practice, offering ten methods for cultivating joy and contentment amidst the everyday challenges we face. The result is a highly practical, user-friendly guide to discovering the neglected path of happiness in this modern world.

"Dr. Ladner brings his own passion to the cause of compassion. He shows how revolutionary a lost art it really is. His book is inspiring for all of us, therapists and patients alike."

Here's a couple of quotes from the actual book -

"Often it is difficult people who are suffering the most and are therefore most in need of compassion."

"Perhaps some parts of ourselves that we see as normal and essential to who we are in fact block us from being more compassionate, creative, content and joyful than we've yet imagined we could be."

"His Holiness the Dalai Lama often notes that in order to avert war and bring about disarmament in the world we must begin by effecting an inner disarmament."

"By spending time regularly for months or years imagining how they received limitless love & kindness over infinite expanses of time, meditators gradually develop an inexhaustible sense of gratitude, love, affection & inner wealth."

"If you're sincerely interested in being a more loving, good-hearted person then it can be particularly helpful at the beginning to recognise that it's mainly through your practice with difficult people that you will become confident that your inner development is bearing fruit."

England my lionheart

Rockerjahili Rebel
Premium Member
Utopia by Sir Thomas More, he was a man of principle and had his head chopped off in 1535,heres a quote from utopia, all that time ago and we still don't get it:

https://www.goodreads.com/author/show/3063220.Thomas_More
for what justice is there in this: that a nobleman, a goldsmith, a banker, or any other man, that either does nothing at all, or, at best, is employed in things that are of no use to the public, should live in great luxury and splendour upon what is so ill acquired, and a mean man, a carter, a smith, or a ploughman, that works harder even than the beasts themselves, and is employed in labours so necessary, that no commonwealth could hold out a year without them, can only earn so poor a livelihood and must lead so miserable a life, that the condition of the beasts is much better than theirs?
Thomas More, Utopia