• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What book(s) are you reading now?

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Maybe this will finally be what pushes my gay little self over the center and into the right. :p

img_1507.jpeg
Republicans are going to have to do so much rebranding of themselves that they may even have to ditch the elephant to move on from the fact it will be decades still before everyone who remembers how vehemently anti-LBGT they are/were, how they pushed religion as law, and for it gaining a reputation as a "rich white boys club" are all dead.

StarryNightshade

Spiritually confused Jew
Premium Member
Republicans are going to have to do so much rebranding of themselves that they may even have to ditch the elephant to move on from the fact it will be decades still before everyone who remembers how vehemently anti-LBGT they are/were, how they pushed religion as law, and for it gaining a reputation as a "rich white boys club" are all dead.

Oh, I agree. I'm actually about 1/3rd of the way through the book, and the author (who is a lesbian) has distanced herself from the GOP, but is still ardently conservative. She dislikes how the party has shilled for the religious right and she despises Trump.

Wu Wei

ursus senum severiorum and ex-Bisy Backson
Started this before but never finished it, so I have started it again

Spirituality For Dummies

Kirran

Premium Member
Currently reading a book called 'Prayer' by Swami Abhishiktananda. Despite the name, the guy was a Catholic monk, who's basically writing a book about deeper mystical experience with Christians in mind. So it's interesting to see it approached through that lens, with that language.

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
I'm trying to get through the very interesting but very dense book that is Alexander Hamilton by Ron Chernow, which contains the information the musical was based on specifically. I'm also listening to the audiobook Gone Girl when I'm doing lap swimming at the gym (go go gadeget waterproof MP3 player.)

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I'm trying to get through the very interesting but very dense book that is Alexander Hamilton by Ron Chernow, which contains the information the musical was based on specifically. I'm also listening to the audiobook Gone Girl when I'm doing lap swimming at the gym (go go gadeget waterproof MP3 player.)
A musical about Alexander Hamilton doesn't seem very appealing, but then again the Continental Congress doesn't seem to be very good musical material either but 1776 I thought was decent.

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
A musical about Alexander Hamilton doesn't seem very appealing, but then again the Continental Congress doesn't seem to be very good musical material either but 1776 I thought was decent.
The music is available for free on YouTube. Give it a try sometime. It takes a little getting used to because the music style is very modern and not Broadway by the numbers but it's incredibly intelligent. Highlights that the founding fathers were people, politicians with egos and agreed on very little.

ShivaFan

Satyameva Jayate
Premium Member
Right now I am reading "Economic Indicators for Dummies", "Wind in the Willows", "R Programming with ggplot2" and I love magazines so, not sure if that counts but reading Kiplingers, Hinduism Today and those "Wild West" mags on gunslingers and stuff. The only newspaper I read is Investors Business Daily. I also have been reading ONLINE, a lot of Agra Net stuff on wheat harvest crisis, corn harvest, soy, etc... These Agra sites also have cool video "news" stuff on grains and fruits but that doesn't count as reading.

But back to ONLINE, I read literally dozens of diverse news sites, including international - sometimes more. This includes Alghad FM pirate in Mosul Iraq, Mohamad Al Mawsily's studio, as fierce battles are raging to oust ISIS, inside of Mosul from a secret location. That may not be a book but by God one day this stuff WILL be in a book and I read it live as it was happening.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Picked up a copy of Brad Warners "Don't be a Jerk"

He addresses Dogen more extensively than in "Sit Down and Shut Up" where Genjo Koan in chapter 2 was discussed about the ways Dogens work can be approached.

Brad writes in a way that it's an interesting read. Provided you don't mind hanging out with the bad boys of Zen. *grin*

Rational Agnostic

I suspect many here are avid book readers.

I am currently reading two, in tandem.

One, which is excellent, is Warlock by Wilber Smith. (Ancient Egyptian local)

The second, which is not quite so interesting is, The Sundered World by Frank Ryan.

How 'bout you folks?

No More Mr. Nice Guy by Robert Glover.

Rational Agnostic

No More Mr. Nice Guy by Robert Glover.

Excellent book. Glover has many valid points, emphasizing that "nice guys" avoid taking risks and being authentic in an attempt to live a "smooth" life and in doing so destroy their chances for attaining what they truly desire. Highly recommended read for all men, especially in today's emasculated society.

Wu Wei

ursus senum severiorum and ex-Bisy Backson
The Unitarian Universalist Pocket Guide by Rev. Peter Morales

Cure for the Common Life by Max Lucado

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member
Went to the Library to get something from TS Eliot but they had nothing. In that area they had Dante's Divine Comedy, which I always wanted to read. Glad I never bought it. It is an easy read and flows but he makes many references to the famous people and places of the time. I would have to go back and study my history to have a complete understanding of the book. I am powering through though.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I didn't realize this thread was so old until today. When was I reading that I thought. :p
I'm about half way through the A Game of Thrones. I've decided due to homework and other things, I'm giving myself two months to finish each book.
And today I became quiet frustrated because I spent my work shift yesterday reading my psychology homework (about 60 pages) for a quiz that I could have easily passed without reading the material, meaning I could have spent that time reading about the Starks and Lannisters, and everybody else, as it properly unfolds. I so desperately want to see Arya go totally Mortal Kombat on someone, beating them severely in the spirit of a good 'ole fashioned brutality. Something that makes the beatings Brienne and Sandor gave each other look like Arya and Mycah swatting at each other with sticks.
And I'm still very disappointed that Joffrey was let off so easily.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Went to the Library to get something from TS Eliot but they had nothing. In that area they had Dante's Divine Comedy, which I always wanted to read. Glad I never bought it. It is an easy read and flows but he makes many references to the famous people and places of the time. I would have to go back and study my history to have a complete understanding of the book. I am powering through though.
I highly recommend John Ciardi's translation because it's all three parts and it has end notes explaining those references, people, and events, and even helps explain many parts of the poem and highlights certain themes found throughout the poem. Really, it's something modern editions of Paradise Lost could spare to have (or at least I've never seen any that do). It's a rather satisfactory "who's who" for those who don't want to obtain a doctorates-level study of Renaissance Italy, church history, Greek history and philosophy, Greek, Christian, and Muslim mythology, and the many other fields one would inevitably have to know and study to fully understand the poem. Of course you won't get that level of understanding, but you get a paragraph or two explaining the references, metaphors, allegories, stories, people mentioned, and everything else, making the book just under 900 pages. But it is so very worth it.

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member
I highly recommend John Ciardi's translation because it's all three parts and it has end notes explaining those references, people, and events, and even helps explain many parts of the poem and highlights certain themes found throughout the poem. Really, it's something modern editions of Paradise Lost could spare to have (or at least I've never seen any that do). It's a rather satisfactory "who's who" for those who don't want to obtain a doctorates-level study of Renaissance Italy, church history, Greek history and philosophy, Greek, Christian, and Muslim mythology, and the many other fields one would inevitably have to know and study to fully understand the poem. Of course you won't get that level of understanding, but you get a paragraph or two explaining the references, metaphors, allegories, stories, people mentioned, and everything else, making the book just under 900 pages. But it is so very worth it.

Thanks, It help on 2 levels. I don't feel as dumb and I can get a book I that will allow me to experience it better.