• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What book(s) are you reading now?

ayani

Desperately Seeking Paradise by Ziauddin Sardar : it's an excellent, engrossing book about the author's life-long, eclectic relationship with Islam, truth, and Muslim identity. an excellent book, i'd definitely recommend it.

also : is anyone else on Good Reads?

Aqualung

Tasty
I'm reading a couple right now:

The Art of Being, by Erich Fromm.
Conduct and Character: Readings in Moral Theory, by Mark Timmons
The Gender Knot: Unraveling our Patriarchal Legacy, by Allan G. Johnson
The Structure of Magic, by Richard Bandler and Jogn Grinder.

Yerda

Veteran Member
The Dawkins Letters: Challenging Atheist Myths by David Robertson and The Fabric of the Cosmos (I'll add the author later, I've forgotten his name).

TashaN

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I just have finished "Tuesdays with Morrie" by by Mitch Albom, and i'll start soon with "Who moved my cheese" by Spencer Johnson.

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
I am reading several books right now. I am rereading Piercing the Darkness by Frank E. Peretti. I am also reading Truman Capote's book Other Voices, Other Rooms. At the same time, for fun, I am reading Terry Jones' The Knight and the Squire (a child's book, but who cares?). Finally, I am waiting to get a book called Living Buddha, Living Christ--it came highly recommended. Last but not least, I am reading Blessed Child by Ted Dekker and Bill Bright--a great book, but only if one is a Christian. ;)
And yes, I always read this many books at once.

Aqualung

Tasty
I'm reading Aristotle's Ethics right now. Definitely not a fan. I don't know why people think the Greeks pwn. I hardly ever agree with them on anything.

Buttons*

Glass half Panda'd
I'm reading Aristotle's Ethics right now. Definitely not a fan. I don't know why people think the Greeks pwn. I hardly ever agree with them on anything.

LOL, that's so funny to me considering where Christianity came from. (I don't want to get into it, I just felt like commenting on how ironic i thought it was that you dislike Greek literature)

nutshell

I'm desparate for something to read. Lately, I go to the bookstore and feel like there's nothing calling me. :(

Aqualung

Tasty
LOL, that's so funny to me considering where Christianity came from. (I don't want to get into it, I just felt like commenting on how ironic i thought it was that you dislike Greek literature)

I can't find one similarity between lds and greek. :p maybe that's biased by my generally sucky view of greeks in general.

rojse

RF Addict
I'm wondering if any sequel can hold up to the original?

Take the movie The Matrix (1999) for example. I LOVED that movie and went see it twice the week it came out....it was completely innovative, original and exciting in so many ways. I was quite disappointed with both sequels and so was everyone else I know.

Now, is it because we were already exposed to the premise and it's shock or compelling nature is somewhat taken for granted? It's no longer new so the nuance is lost?

I think that some sequels can be better than the original work, provided they are done without the sole intent of making money on an existing franchise.

I think that all of Robert Ludlum's sequels were better than the original books - they added new ideas, expanded on old ones, resolved plot-lines, and put the characters in more tense and exciting situations.

Terry Pratchett gets consistently better with each new book in the Discworld sequence, and his new book is one of the best books in the entire thirty-one book series to me.

They are just two of the more well-known authors that are a good example of improving sequels.

However, I will agree that sequels are often deriviative of older works, do not expand enough to hold attention, or are barely related to the original idea, apart from the original characters.

nutshell

Well, I went to my local library and got a book of suspenseful short stories for Halloween. Should be fun. :)

rojse

RF Addict
I have finished reading Edward A Abbot's Flatland. It is a story about "A Square" that lives in a two dimensional world. He visits a three-dimensional world, and dreams of a Lineland and Pointland (a one dimensional universe and a no-dimensional universe). It is extremely interesting to think about how to express three-dimensional ideas, such as a sphere, and a cube, in two dimensions, the idea of a square in one dimension. This idea is extrapolated to how a four dimensional shape (a hypercube) could be expressed in three dimensions.

It is a story that demands attention, and cannot be considered light reading, and the ideas behind it are still giving me thought.

I found it free on ebooks: http://www.gutenberg.org/dirs/etext95/flat10a.txt but you are only allowed to read it depending on your country's copyright laws.