• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What book(s) are you reading now?

Smoke

Done here.
The Great Transformation, by Karen Armstrong. I bought it some time ago, but never got around to reading it, and today while I was looking for another book, I came across it and decided it was time.

Buttercup

Veteran Member
'Tis, by Frank McCourt of Angela's Ashes fame.

I have procrastinated for years and years reading this book because I so adored Angela's Ashes I was afraid the sequel would be a disappointment and I didn't want the memory of AA tarnished in my mind.

I'm about half way through and while it's a good read, so far it's not nearly as compelling as Angela's Ashes. :(

ladyhawke

I've just finished the Dark Matters trilogy by Phillip Pullman (kids stuff but great) have just started The Mists of Avalon by Marion Zimmer Bradley..all good so far.

Bishka

Veteran Member
"That Day In June -- Reflections on the Teton Dam Diaster"

More on the Teton Dam Diaster here

This book is full of personal first-hand stories about what happened during that time to people who lived in Southeastern Idaho.

Runt

"Pattern Recognition" by William Gibson
"Addiction and Grace" by Something-Or-Another May
"Ice Hunt" (some cheap adventure novel that distracts me at work by an author whose name I can't remember)

TashaN

Veteran Member
Premium Member
"The Essential Theatre". (Oscar G. Brockett & Ropert J. Ball).

"Losing My Religion : A Call for Help". (Jeffrey Lang).

TurtleGirl

Not a Member
I just finished True Selves recently and I have also been working through A Series of Unfortunate Events by Lemony Snicket. I just finished Book the Seventh - The Vile Village.

ChrisP

Veteran Member
Sabbath Bloody Sabbath - Joel McIver

History of Black Sabbath (for the uninitiated... to the fans that must be obvious ;-) ) Best read on this band I've found. Every member opened themselves up to the author except Ozzie (god bless you Sharon you heartless money grubbing...) and many many many contemporary metal artists are interviewed as well.

A pretty comprehensive history, and I'm only 1/3 through.

Reccommend it to fans of 60s 70s music and any fan of metal. Know your roots.

Smoke

Done here.
I'm about half way through and while it's a good read, so far it's not nearly as compelling as Angela's Ashes. :(
That's how I felt. Well worth reading, but not up to Angela's Ashes.

I've had a copy of Marilynne Robinson's Gilead since Christmas, and I'm afraid to read it because I just know it won't be as good as Housekeeping. (How could it be?)

Buttercup

Veteran Member
That's how I felt. Well worth reading, but not up to Angela's Ashes.

I've had a copy of Marilynne Robinson's Gilead since Christmas, and I'm afraid to read it because I just know it won't be as good as Housekeeping. (How could it be?)
I'm wondering if any sequel can hold up to the original?

Take the movie The Matrix (1999) for example. I LOVED that movie and went see it twice the week it came out....it was completely innovative, original and exciting in so many ways. I was quite disappointed with both sequels and so was everyone else I know.

Now, is it because we were already exposed to the premise and it's shock or compelling nature is somewhat taken for granted? It's no longer new so the nuance is lost?

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
I'm just barely getting started reading "Pope Joan." My mom, who is 94 years old, just finished it and told me it was one of the best books she's read in her life. After a recommendation like that, I didn't have much of a choice as to whether to read it!

Azakel

Liebe ist für alle da
Necronomicon: The Wanderings of Alhazred by Donald Tyson

He stayed true to H.P. Lovecraft and is really meant for fans of H.P. Lovecraft.

Smoke

Done here.
I'm wondering if any sequel can hold up to the original?
Well, Huckleberry Finn is widely considered to be better than Tom Sawyer. I hate to say it, because I love the McCourt brothers -- Frank and Malachy -- but the main problem with Tis is that the parents' generation was more interesting than Frank's own.

Aqualung

Tasty
I'm currently reading Anthropologist from Mars by Oliver Sacks. It's a book featuring seven case studies of people with various neurological problems. One man became completely colour blind in his fifities (following a car accident). One was a surgeon with Tourrette's syndrome who could operate without any need to tic. One section was on idiot savants. And I can't remember the rest. :D