• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

what bible principles can help to show respect in marriage?

Kemosloby

Premium Member
"Wives submit to your husbands" is a favorite of mine. Then the good old "and the head of the woman is man" Genesis "Your desire will be for your husband, and he will rule over you." That's about all of them I know.

Kemosloby

Premium Member
respect in marriage is not a luxury :it is a necessity)
Seriously though. I believe the simple fact that God uses marriage as such an important metaphor in scripture, implies that people should take marriage as seriously as God takes his promises.

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
Looking at this from a Christian liberal perspective: First of all, divorce is a Jewish principle and a Biblical one seen in Deuteronomy 24. Jesus comments on it as well. It is a law about how a Jewish man must behave towards a women he no longer loves, however, for Christians there is to be neither male nor female and the laws are not specifically considered binding in every case. Instead Christians are supposed to apply Jewish principles. The principle is that marriage must have love and certain other vitamins to exist. Jesus (according to Matthew) alludes to Deut 24 when he states that the reason for divorce is that hearts are hard, implying that 'Hardness of heart' in a marriage amounts to breaking the marriage union. There are examples in the Bible of people who are hard hearted. I think it refers to someone uncaring, ungenerous, unwilling to compromise. These things break the marriage union before a divorce ever happens.

Some people read Jesus to mean that divorce itself forces adultery, but such a shallow reading makes no sense. In the first place, the Divorce is provided to allow someone unloved to move on and not be bound in servitude. By pointing out that Deut 24 is about hardness of heart, Jesus is saying that a marriage union has already been broken by the time a divorce is justified. In other words when a marriage becomes toxic or bondage instead of nurturing, then I think Jesus is saying the marriage is already defunct. A divorce has been caused by the disgraceful hardness of heart. He is saying not to let the marriage get that way. A certain level of mutual love is a must or the marriage does not exist. Obviously love and marriage carries a requirement to have at minimum some respect for the spouse as a fellow in a mutual endeavor.

Kelly of the Phoenix

"Wives submit to your husbands" is a favorite of mine. Then the good old "and the head of the woman is man" Genesis "Your desire will be for your husband, and he will rule over you." That's about all of them I know.
So, only an immature and self-serving version of respect, then.

I believe the simple fact that God uses marriage as such an important metaphor in scripture, implies that people should take marriage as seriously as God takes his promises.
God: I promise to make you My bride. Unless you irritate Me. Then we're getting a divorce. But if you come crawling back, I guess I'll take you back. Until you do it again...

Kemosloby

Premium Member
So, only an immature and self-serving version of respect, then.

God: I promise to make you My bride. Unless you irritate Me. Then we're getting a divorce. But if you come crawling back, I guess I'll take you back. Until you do it again...
It takes two ya know. Now it says women should respect their husbands and husbands should love their wives. So respect seems to be the burden of the woman, love the burden of the man. The logical necessity of the situation, if the man is going to be the head it requires the respect of the woman, and having the man take care of her is the benefit to the woman.

Last edited:
Seriously though. I believe the simple fact that God uses marriage as such an important metaphor in scripture, implies that people should take marriage as seriously as God takes his promises.

I agree with much of what you say,marriage is a divine institution/authorized and established by God in Eden.it was designed as a union between man and woman that they might be mutually helpful to each other

It takes two ya know. Now it says women should respect their husbands and husbands should love their wives. So respect seems to be the burden of the woman, love the burden of the man. The logical necessity of the situation, if the man is going to be the head it requires the respect of the woman, and having the man take care of her is the benefit to the woman.

that makes sense because a husband cannot truly love a wife whom he does not respect.
Sometimes people are mistaken,in their eyes they show respect,but it is necessary whether your mate feels respected

Kemosloby

Premium Member
that makes sense because a husband cannot truly love a wife whom he does not respect.
Sometimes people are mistaken,in their eyes they show respect,but it is necessary whether your mate feels respected
I believe the situation defines the meaning of respect. That as Christ would have it, it suits God, who put man over women in the garden, as a curse on the woman, that her husband should "rule over her", meaning be the leader. But a man who is abusive to his wife, or even treat her less than he would himself, violates his part of the deal to love her. And an argumentative woman who will not respect her husbands decisions violates her part of the deal.

I believe the situation defines the meaning of respect. That as Christ would have it, it suits God, who put man over women in the garden, as a curse on the woman, that her husband should "rule over her", meaning be the leader. But a man who is abusive to his wife, or even treat her less than he would himself, violates his part of the deal to love her. And an argumentative woman who will not respect her husbands decisions violates her part of the deal.

in the very beginning Adam did not ''rule over ''Eve. they sinned and met the consequences of their wrongdoing. it meant the husband would become ''a bad leader".an imperfect man cannot be a good head of the house let alone imperfect wife.but God pointed out the rules to follow in order to live a happy family life .
the husband was head of the house and the final decision on different matters was left to him.
the woman while being in subjection to the husband enjoyed fine status and many privileges.faithful Hebrew men loved their wives and if the wife was wise and acted in harmony with God's law,often the husband would listen to her or approve of her actions)))))