• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

what atheism teaches us

syo

atheism teaches us to see things as they are and not as we want them to be. atheism is the greatest tool when we want to examine facts apart from imagination. we all should have an atheistic mind to some degree, because it might help us to see things from a different point of view other than a religious one. maybe atheism will help us understand religions better.

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member
atheism teaches us to see things as they are and not as we want them to be. atheism is the greatest tool when we want to examine facts apart from imagination. we all should have an atheistic mind to some degree, because it might help us to see things from a different point of view other than a religious one. maybe atheism will help us understand religions better.

Atheism is a lack of belief or non-belief in God, it teaches nothing. It might be said to allow people seek fact over religion but hopefully not imagination as imagination is the only thing that spawns creativity.

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member

What you are describing isn't atheism, it is skepticism. Even a theist should be skeptical.

suncowiam

At a very early age, I decided I wanted to be an atheist. It was a dream of mine. So after much commitment and years of study and training, I finally was able to qualify as an atheist. That was my proudest day, next to graduating from college and having children.

Kuzcotopia

If you can read this, you are as lucky as I am.

I think skepticism does that. In many cases, skepticism can provide the perspective and help draw conclusions that lead to atheism.

On its own, atheism is a belief in no gods. . . it has no creeds or teachings. If you are thinking of secular humanism, then yes. . . I believe that can definitely help you add perspective to any religion beliefs.

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member
atheism teaches us to see things as they are and not as we want them to be
It could be argued that some atheists want there to be no god/s and no spirits, because such a world is then exploitable pretty much without regard.

However, the same can be said of some theists, who see only a single transcendent deity, humans (maybe) with spirits, and a world that is dead or dumb matter, and we humans therefore have the right to exploit it.

Reactions: syo

David T

Premium Member
I don't believe is irrelevant. Since it's totally irrelevant I am not sure what the point is other than its a dysfunction of a tiny region of the brain dysfunctionally self labeled "higher functioning" region. It also generates the dysfunction I believe and I am agnostic. Which loves to argue with itself.

Although all three together are a handy tool in scouting out toilets when in need. I believe when in need and I am out and about that that McDonald's has a toilet. I always do not believe that it's available, because my body can get ahead of reality if not constrained. My bowels have a mind of its own and totally irrational, I must keep it in check. I am agnostic as to whether it will be clean or not. Only upon arriving when I have full emperical evidence to I say yes based on the emperical evidence the bathroom is clean. I keep an open mind on the topic.

So I would say as the bowels you are absolutely correct the genius up there in control, at the highly functional region of the brain keeps me in check and in touch with reality or there may be an accident!!! Although to be honest it feels like a dictator always in control.

socharlie

it may be a self deception of atheism and it sees things as they are not...

Reactions: syo

WalterTrull

Godfella
I don't believe is irrelevant. Since it's totally irrelevant I am not sure what the point is other than its a dysfunction of a tiny region of the brain dysfunctionally self labeled "higher functioning" region. It also generates the dysfunction I believe and I am agnostic. Which loves to argue with itself.

Although all three together are a handy tool in scouting out toilets when in need. I believe when in need and I am out and about that that McDonald's has a toilet. I always do not believe that it's available, because my body can get ahead of reality if not constrained. My bowels have a mind of its own and totally irrational, I must keep it in check. I am agnostic as to whether it will be clean or not. Only upon arriving when I have full emperical evidence to I say yes based on the emperical evidence the bathroom is clean. I keep an open mind on the topic.

So I would say as the bowels you are absolutely correct the genius up there in control, at the highly functional region of the brain keeps me in check and in touch with reality or there may be an accident!!! Although to be honest it feels like a dictator always in control.
Veddy intahrresting (In my best Arte Johnson impersonation)

Last edited:

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
atheism teaches us to see things as they are and not as we want them to be.
Atheism doesn't teach anything.

It's religion that teaches people to believe things that are what they want them to be. Religious people teach people to believe in human authorities, even when the evidence is against them. Religions teach people to believe in afterlives and primitive ethics and a batch of other stuff.
Atheism doesn't teach anything, if anything it encourages people to seek out the truth. Even if someone claims to already have the answers.
Tom

Rational Agnostic

Hmmm....I wouldn't agree that atheism is the greatest "tool" or even that it is a "tool" at all. Becoming an atheist doesn't automatically improve someone's reasoning skills.

Frater Sisyphus

Contradiction, irrationality and disorder
Skepticism is the key word I think.

If you're not skeptical about what you believe, then you are as bad as anyone else.

Atheists a lot of the times aren't skeptical about their atheism, same thing goes with many theists (none of which would be interested enough in religion to join a forum like this anyway).