• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What are your views on religion? What are the reasons for this?

PhoenixShockwave

Hello,

I'm looking to have a conversation with a non Christian about their perceptions of religion and their views on Christianity. The reason for this is for an assignment for a class of mine where students must have conversations with non Christians over the course of the semester. The idea is not to judge but to see what you believe concerning the aforementioned ideas throughout this semester. So it would be multiple conversations. I will have to write a reflection of this in papers twice. Being online my professor would also like a transcript, but if that makes anyone uncomfortable, that is understandable.

Nietzsche

The Last Prussian
Premium Member
Hello,

I'm looking to have a conversation with a non Christian about their perceptions of religion and their views on Christianity. The reason for this is for an assignment for a class of mine where students must have conversations with non Christians over the course of the semester. The idea is not to judge but to see what you believe concerning the aforementioned ideas throughout this semester. So it would be multiple conversations. I will have to write a reflection of this in papers twice. Being online my professor would also like a transcript, but if that makes anyone uncomfortable, that is understandable.
I'd be happy to give you my take. I come from a Norse-pagan perspective, although further coloured by Nietzsche's critiques of Christianity.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Hello,

I don't mind discussing my views on christianity. I think you'll get better answers if you don't post threads you don't want debated in any of the religious debate sections. Here, religious question and answer, general discussion, and comparative religion among others are good places to post.

Do you have a list of questions?

(I already gave up on privacy. Anything we post online isn't private. So... )

PhoenixShockwave

Alright, this actually sounds really good. I have one question I can post for you all real quick. In light of your religions, what do they all say (monotheistic/polytheistic [i noted 2 poly], what is the purpose of life, how are we to be in good light with the god(s) of the universe?)

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member
I would suggest either personal messages, or setting up a thread in the Interfaith Discussion, perhaps in the Q&A or Comparative Religion subforums...

I'm a sort of pagan, an animist. See my signature below for a start...

lovesong

:D
Premium Member
Hello,

I would love to help! :D

Hockeycowboy

Witness for Jehovah
Premium Member
I am one of Jehovah's Witnesses. We consider ourselves Christian (very much so), but many don't view us as such. We differ exceedingly with mainstream Christianity!

I'd be glad to help in any way, if I can. Just let me know.

If you don't reply, I'll understand. (I might even view it as a compliment, since you want non-Christians.)

DawudTalut

Peace be upon you.
Hello,

Peace be on you. Welcome to RF.

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member
Alright, this actually sounds really good. I have one question I can post for you all real quick. In light of your religions, what do they all say (monotheistic/polytheistic [i noted 2 poly], what is the purpose of life, how are we to be in good light with the god(s) of the universe?)
To start, I don't do gods. There are plenty of spirits of all sorts, some of which others might term gods, but I don't. As for any sort of universal omnimax creator-type deity, it's simply beyond my comprehension, so I don't go there anymore. The whole of the comos, 'gods' and not, I consider to be, for lack of a significantly better term, The Great Mystery.

We live in an environment made up of our kin, our relatives, no matter how distantly related. Most of these other-than-human persons don't care about us or interact with us to any great degree, but some like us and want to work and live with us, and others don't like us and don't want to work with us...some may even wish human persons harm.

It's our duty to live in respectful relations with our kin, whether they like us, are indifferent, or dislike us. In traditional societies, such relationships were developed through consensus of both the human and other-than-human persons involved. In the modern context, as a solitary practitioner, I must develop such relationships myself...although I use guidance from indigenous animists from around the world.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
I'm looking to have a conversation with a non Christian about their perceptions of religion and their views on Christianity.
In light of your religions, what is the purpose of life, how are we to be in good light with the god(s) of the universe?)
Another Hindu here, but you can call me a renegade Hindu (as my friend Vinayaka here may term me) because I am an atheist. Although my position is very much scriptural. The purpose of life is to spend it caring for elders and young, for the society, for the country and for the world a a whole. Fulfilling our duties to all taking care that we help those in need if we can and do not harm anyone. That we know as 'dharma'.There is one line which expresses this emotion:

Paropakāram punyāya, pāpāya parapīdanam. (Helping others is merit, causing pain to others is sin).

Since I do not believe in God, soul, birth, death, salvation, creation - being good with any God(s)/Goddesses does not make sense to me. I do believe in 'enlightenment' (jnāna - knowing) when a person comes to know the secrets of life.

Last edited:

Cobol

Code Jockey
I see religion as a mental illness, based on delusions and hallucinations, that are outside the boundaries of logic and reason.

Last edited:

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member
Hello,

You can use me. I would do anything for educational purposes, and young minds.

Just to introduce myself.....

I am viole, a gnostic atheist. And a philosophical naturalist. Ergo a qualified strong atheist, as they call us. If you want an official spiritual CV, whatever that is, let me know. I was a YEC Christian who climbed mount impossible to reach the top: uncompromised atheism.

I am good at addressing theists claims, and justify my knowledge that there is no god. And, last but not least, at taking care of the pets left behind by Christians during the Rapture, I think. Especially cats. I swear on my soul to take care of yours, if you present interesting arguments or questions.

And I have no problems whatsoever with being judged. I also cannot be possibly offended or anything of the sort. So you can fire at will.

I feel, I am your best candidate :).

Deal?

So, what have you got?

Ciao

- viole

Last edited:

Sundance

pursuing the Divine Beloved
Premium Member
Hello,

I'm a Bahá’í! Ask away, @PhoenixShockwave!

NoSarcasm

Hello,

Islam here brother.

Liu

Welcome!
Since no one of my religions posted here yet, I'll give a reply to your two questions as well.

1) There is no inherent meaning, it all just is. But life is more fun if one finds things that are meaningful to oneself.
It might also be that what we do in this life has an influence on our further existence after this life. The goal of Left Hand Path-religions (which Satanism belongs to) is self-development, self-deification if possible, both to lead a more successful life and in the hopes of continuing to exist afterwards.

2) We can't know what the gods want, if there even are any. There might be spirits, and some people communicate with them and get told personally what those would like them to do. But I don't really belief in any cosmic deities that would have a personality in any way comprehensible to us.
As a pantheist I believe that the divine and existence are identical, therefore, both one's own will and the laws of nature are the "will" of the divine. It's best to take those two sources into account when deciding what to do.

NoSarcasm

Welcome!
Since no one of my religions posted here yet, I'll give a reply to your two questions as well.

1) There is no inherent meaning, it all just is. But life is more fun if one finds things that are meaningful to oneself.
It might also be that what we do in this life has an influence on our further existence after this life. The goal of Left Hand Path-religions (which Satanism belongs to) is self-development, self-deification if possible, both to lead a more successful life and in the hopes of continuing to exist afterwards.

2) We can't know what the gods want, if there even are any. There might be spirits, and some people communicate with them and get told personally what those would like them to do. But I don't really belief in any cosmic deities that would have a personality in any way comprehensible to us.
As a pantheist I believe that the divine and existence are identical, therefore, both one's own will and the laws of nature are the "will" of the divine. It's best to take those two sources into account when deciding what to do.

nice, hi liu :)