• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What are your thoughts regarding how other people should live their lives?

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
This is in response to another thread about alcohol, but I think such discussions could apply to anything that people do. How often should we go to the theatre? Ought we message our parents once a day, once a week or how often? How will you control how much sugar your children get -- and should you have the right to insist that your neighbours do as you do? What god should you worship? Is pizza twice a week good for maintaining family ties, or is it better to keep mother in the kitchen cooking while everybody else watches TV until she caters to them?

Doesn't anybody here ever get tired of being asked what you think other people should do? Would any of you who answer a resounding "NO" ever get tired about being told what YOU should do?

Sheesh.

I remember the great line in the Music Man, when Harold Hill asks a local "what do you all do around here for fun?" and he is answered, "Well, we mind our own business!"
Mostly - let the Taliban destroy a country and we should look the other way - as being an example? :oops:

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
Doesn't anybody here ever get tired of being asked what you think other people should do? Would any of you who answer a resounding "NO" ever get tired about being told what YOU should do?
  • That's a bit hard to answer. To be honest, I'm having trouble remembering instances of being asked.
  • I might answer in any number of ways and, hopefully, by saying "thank you" if the advice was well-meaning.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
Such as taking drugs that may lead to violence? Such as shooting? Such as having sex with a dog? Anything that people do.
Having said, about a billion times in these forums, that I believe in personal liberties SO LONG AS NO HARM IS DONE TO OTHERS, I might have thought you'd understand. I guess not. I leave you to your own flights of fancy.

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
Having said, about a billion times in these forums, that I believe in personal liberties SO LONG AS NO HARM IS DONE TO OTHERS, I might have thought you'd understand. I guess not. I leave you to your own flights of fancy.
So you'd ban alcohol, seeing as it leads to harming others. Got it.

We Never Know

No Slack
Well, one might think so -- but which religion recommends that? Which ideology says, "but if you'd rather not, never mind?"

It has nothing to do with religion.

Let me rephrase ....

IMG_20220819_071500.jpg

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
Mostly - let the Taliban destroy a country and we should look the other way - as being an example? :oops:
As I recall, America had a revolution. At the time, there were many Americans who were still loyal to the crown, and wished to remain so. Very many of these United Empire Loyalists moved north, and the result was that whole new provinces were created in Canada, as Nova Scotia broke apart into Nova Scotia and New Brunswick, and Quebec broke up into Quebec and Ontario.

But never mind, do you think it right for one nation to impose its will on another? I deplore what is happening in Afghanistan, but I confess I'm hard-pressed to say I think some other country should go in, take over the government, and run it their way.

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
This is in response to another thread about alcohol, but I think such discussions could apply to anything that people do. How often should we go to the theatre? Ought we message our parents once a day, once a week or how often? How will you control how much sugar your children get -- and should you have the right to insist that your neighbours do as you do? What god should you worship? Is pizza twice a week good for maintaining family ties, or is it better to keep mother in the kitchen cooking while everybody else watches TV until she caters to them?

Sheesh.

I remember the great line in the Music Man, when Harold Hill asks a local "what do you all do around here for fun?" and he is answered, "Well, we mind our own business!"
no one can drive two vehicles without first vacating one to drive the other. some people don't realize they left the car running but there is no one driving.

its like someone driving and texting on their phone. someone is going to get hurt eventually

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
Please don't be absurd. Does every single alcoholic drink (say a glass of wiine with dinner) lead to harming others? Rubbish, and a strawman indeed!

And, in fact, there are laws about engaging in activities that -- while under the influence -- have greater potential to harm others.

Why do you insist on putting words in other people's mouths? Is it a hobby trying to make them look stupid?

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
no one can drive two vehicles without first vacating one to drive the other. some people don't realize they left the car running but there is no one driving.

its like someone driving and texting on their phone. someone is going to get hurt eventually
???

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
Please don't be absurd. Does every single alcoholic drink (say a glass of wiine with dinner) lead to harming others? Rubbish, and a strawman indeed!

And, in fact, there are laws about engaging in activities that -- while under the influence -- have greater potential to harm others.

Why do you insist on putting words in other people's mouths? Is it a hobby trying to make them look stupid?
I'm not trying to make you look stupid. I do not consider what I said to be a strawman. Of course every single alcoholic drink does not lead to harming others. I did not say that, so was it a strawman? Every single injection of heroin does not lead to harming others either, but guess what, it's banned. I'm not talking about you with a glass of wine with your meal, I'm talking about the bigger picture.

"At nearly every party I attend I’m offered alcohol, the drug most likely to kill an American."
- Which Is More Dangerous: Alcohol or Drugs?

"When people think about what is more dangerous to a person’s health and life, drugs or alcohol, most people believe that drugs are far more dangerous. However, various experts in the U.K. conducted a study to find out which of the commonly abused substances is actually the biggest threat to our society and individual people. Not surprisingly to some, alcohol was found to be the most dangerous substance compared to illegal drugs when looking at the total impact it has. The study that took a closer look at alcohol vs illegal drugs took into account environmental damage, family problems, health and the economic costs."
- https://betteraddictioncare.com/blog/alcohol-vs-illegal-drugs/

"Alcohol is the most socially acceptable drug on the market and the most easily accessible. Even with this knowledge, the general public still has a tendency to believe alcohol is ok, not dangerous, and an acceptable form of relaxation. Science tells us something different. Alcohol is the deadliest drug of all.
The World Health Organization estimates risks linked to alcohol cause 2.5 million deaths worldwide each year from heart and liver disease, road accidents, suicides, and cancer. On the scale given by the scientists, alcohol received a score of 72 out of 100. Heroin received a 55, while crack received a 54."
- Why Alcohol Is The Deadliest Drug

Last edited:

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
I'm not trying to make you look stupid. I do not consider what I said to be a strawman. Of course every single alcoholic drink does not lead to harming others. I did not say that, so was it a strawman? Every single injection of heroin does not lead to harming others either, but guess what, it's banned. I'm not talking about you with a glass of wine with your meal, I'm talking about the bigger picture.

"At nearly every party I attend I’m offered alcohol, the drug most likely to kill an American."
- Which Is More Dangerous: Alcohol or Drugs?

"When people think about what is more dangerous to a person’s health and life, drugs or alcohol, most people believe that drugs are far more dangerous. However, various experts in the U.K. conducted a study to find out which of the commonly abused substances is actually the biggest threat to our society and individual people. Not surprisingly to some, alcohol was found to be the most dangerous substance compared to illegal drugs when looking at the total impact it has. The study that took a closer look at alcohol vs illegal drugs took into account environmental damage, family problems, health and the economic costs."
- https://betteraddictioncare.com/blog/alcohol-vs-illegal-drugs/

"Alcohol is the most socially acceptable drug on the market and the most easily accessible. Even with this knowledge, the general public still has a tendency to believe alcohol is ok, not dangerous, and an acceptable form of relaxation. Science tells us something different. Alcohol is the deadliest drug of all.
The World Health Organization estimates risks linked to alcohol cause 2.5 million deaths worldwide each year from heart and liver disease, road accidents, suicides, and cancer. On the scale given by the scientists, alcohol received a score of 72 out of 100. Heroin received a 55, while crack received a 54."
- Why Alcohol Is The Deadliest Drug
Do you know what the single biggest contributor to death is?

Life. If you've got it, you're going to die from it. Let's ban it.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
Yeah that's the answer.
You said, and I quote:
You might notice that there's no nuance there. No suggestion that lots of things that can be pleasant or enjoyable or useful can, if improperly used, cause harm, and that the answer is not banning, but proper use.

I might remind you of how well the 18th Amendment to the Constitution (Prohibition) went over, and that it was repealed (by the 21st) because it actually caused more real harm than it was intended to prevent. It is the only amendment ever to be repealed.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
As I recall, America had a revolution. At the time, there were many Americans who were still loyal to the crown, and wished to remain so. Very many of these United Empire Loyalists moved north, and the result was that whole new provinces were created in Canada, as Nova Scotia broke apart into Nova Scotia and New Brunswick, and Quebec broke up into Quebec and Ontario.

But never mind, do you think it right for one nation to impose its will on another? I deplore what is happening in Afghanistan, but I confess I'm hard-pressed to say I think some other country should go in, take over the government, and run it their way.
Well, do I think it right for some government to impose its will on the people - whether for religious reasons or because some tyrant apparently can? Is this any different from our stepping back and not helping others when this apparently happens - as to these not being voted into power or distorting democracy to stay in power. I have no answers either - apart from perhaps world government, with such guaranteeing that what the people want, then they get it. Not sure how practicable this would be to achieve though.