• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What are your thoughts on Near Death Experiences?

Psalm23

What are your thoughts about near death experiences? What are your thoughts when someone claims to have died and come back and tell a story of what they saw?

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
What are your thoughts about near death experiences? What are your thoughts when someone claims to have died and come back and tell a story of what they saw?

Q: What are your thoughts about near death experiences?
A: I have not had that kind of experience my self, so it is impossible for me to either confirm or deny if it is real or not, but I would be surprised if it was not a possibility it has happened to people.

What are your thoughts when someone claims to have died and come back and tell a story of what they saw?
A: I have not had anyone tell it directly to me, but I could not rule it out fully, because I could not prove or disprove it.

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member

I have had it happen to myself. Twice now.

I discount any specific claims of heaven/hell/afterlife. But not the process or the experience itself.

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
My Master said "every night you die, and every morning you are reborn"

Probably elsewhere He might have said "every second you die and you are reborn"

The question that is most important is "Who Am I?"

Knowing that "I" never dies, this whole idea of NDE only pertains to the identification with one's body ... hence maya, illusion and ignorance. NDE is valuable, because afterwards you might realize that you are not the body AND you might know that NDE is an illusion

But without NDE you at best can believe, so NDE is valuable to know NDE is useless (afterwards)

Last edited:

A Vestigial Mote

My thoughts are that a brain/body that is "near death" is in NO WAY a reliable instrument to base ANYTHING on. Period. Hell... we can barely rely on fully cognizant/aware people to reliably convey truths... and someone wants to claim that people far less able than that are a good indicator of anything at all? Craziness.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member

That when your external sensory perception is cut off, your conscious experience is at the mercy of the subconscious mind.
Like with a dream, what you experience while dreaming becomes your reality at the time of the dream.

Also I suspect that while consciously you are cut off, subconsciously your brain still has access to external stimuli and continues to predict reality somewhat accurately while folding this information into the experience.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
I have had it happen to myself. Twice now.

I discount any specific claims of heaven/hell/afterlife. But not the process or the experience itself.

I'm in line with this. I also believe there are medical causes but like any traumatic experience the profoundness changes people's lives. I don't doubt that.

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
I'm in line with this. I also believe there are medical causes but like any traumatic experience the profoundness changes people's lives. I don't doubt that.

Well, I'm also of a mind that a person can willingly induce an NDE as well. As many of the accounts also match the Shamanistic idea of a "rebirthing".

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
True story, I've posted it on RF before and no doubt i will again

My father was mugged, he was hit across the head with a half brick that shattered his skull. During a month long coma he clinically died 3 times. He distinctly remembers dying and to this day he claims the only reason he came back was because god is a lousy poker player.

ecco

Veteran Member

If it is a near-death experience, the person was not dead - right?

Double-blind experiments have been conducted. Items were placed on a shelf in rooms with critically ill people. The items could not be seen by someone standing up. They could only be seen by someone floating up from their body. No one has passed this test. No one has identified items on the shelves. No one.

If you want to have an "NDE" with a light at the end of a tunnel, it's easy. Just stand in a rigid posture in the hot sun for a period of time. As lesser and lesser blood gets to your brain, you will experience "tunnel vision". Things on the periphery of your vision will go black. The visible part in the center will get smaller and smaller. At some time, if you don't start moving, you will pass out because your brain has experienced a shortage of oxygen.

There are hundreds of videos of soldiers standing in formation with one or more passing out. There are videos of wedding brides and grooms passing out from standing at the alter (probably coupled with stress).

Nothing magical. Nothing after-worldly. Just physiology.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
I believe that NDEs are fairly accurate renditions of what happens when the soul leaves the body and a person is 'between' life and death, but I do not believe NDEs represent a death experience because that person is not fully dead. If you want to read some interesting books on death experiences below are some of my favorites.

The Afterlife Revealed

Private Dowding

I also like this book, but I cannot say I believe that everything he wrote given it was just one man's experiences:

Heaven and Hell

The Crimson Universe

@Psalm23 Perhaps you'll like these two books :)

51ZLY+eTI9L._AC_SY780_.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/Life-After-N...+after+near+death+debra&qid=1632951507&sr=8-1

41BYRMAlZ5L._AC_SY780_.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/Dancing-Past...32952012&sprefix=dancjng+past+the+dark&sr=8-1

QuestioningMind

That they are experiences that people have had when they were NEAR death and that anyone who claims that they died and came back during a near death experience doesn't understand the difference between being near death and actually dying.

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
What are your thoughts about near death experiences?
I knew someone who became convinced they were true after he read Embraced By the Light. I never read it, but apparently its a book with testimonials of some kind. He said it was good.

What are your thoughts when someone claims to have died and come back and tell a story of what they saw?
I have heard more than one person claim they were momentarily dead and saw heaven or hell, but I have a problem with it. If they describe hell or heaven and say its a warning for the living then I doubt they are telling the truth, and its partly because of Jesus parable about Lazarus and the Rich man. At the end he says that the point of his parable is that even if someone returns from death it doesn't change minds. Personally I believe that multiple people have lied to me and to congregations about this in order to sell books or get offerings in the plate.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Double-blind experiments have been conducted. Items were placed on a shelf in rooms

Dumb experiment. It assumes that people who are not in their physical bodies would notice such a thing in a true out of body experience. There's no reason to assume that. All the reports are that much more significant things are going on.

Put something on a shelf in plain view. Ask someone to come into the room and tell them something truly shocking. Then afterwards, ask what was on the shelf. The odds are so close to zero that they would have noticed or remembered.

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
There are hundreds of videos of soldiers standing in formation with one or more passing out

I've been one of those soldiers and passed out.

That is not the same as an NDE. Doesn't have any of the same qualia. Try getting actually close to the brink of death. ;)

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member

My thought are that someone believes what they saw. They are sharing an experience, and I have no business questioning it without having had such an experience myself.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
My main thoughts:

- a dying brain is not generally a reliable brain.
- similarities in experiences between people can be best explained by our common physiology.