• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What are your reasons?

Milton Platt

Why do soo many people spend soo much time arguing against things they don't accept or believe in?

Examples;
-evolution vs a god.
-if I don't believe in a god, I won't waste time to argue against it.
- if I don't accept evolution, I won't waste time to argue against it.

Is everyone trying to turn someone to their way of thinking?

What are the top reasons?
Why invest soo much time in things you can't change?
And go.

People do stop and start believing in a god or gods, so you can change things.
But there are more important reasons. People's beliefs inform their actions, and their actions impact other people.

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
Why do soo many people spend soo much time arguing against things they don't accept or believe in?

Examples;
-evolution vs a god.

And go.
Sharpens my skills. Keeps me updated on the what examples people use. Makes me study and learn.

Generally stop arguing with those who utter foolishness and give me no incentive to study and learn.

Guitar's Cry

Disciple of Pan
I have a couple.

Top reason: discussion and debate help change and solidify ideas for me. Many of my own preconceptions have been changed due to my interactions here.

Another reason is that while I know I am unlikely to change another's perspective, especially political, I want to make sure the other side is put out there for consideration. For instance, I tend to argue against climate change denial because I see it as a dangerous ideology. If this ideology is not countered extensively, folks reading the debate may be swayed to that way of thinking if they are on the fence or open to changing their mind on the issue.

Enoch07

It's all a sick freaking joke.
Premium Member

Examples;
-evolution vs a god.

And go.

Entertainment.......mostly.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member

Examples;
-evolution vs a god.

And go.

I believe it is stipulated in the small print when you buy any internet-capable device - we must write a certain amount of rubbish so as to get sufficient use - much like Foucault apparently inserted 25% nonsense into his writing (expected from a French philosopher) - well, according to Dennett but perhaps he was joking. I think I've done enough (perhaps more than enough) - but I generally know when not to bother. :rolleyes:

For me it is mainly about correcting things (where it might be appropriate) or providing information. And I don't expect others to change their views, especially on any religious topics. Besides, it is their lives to live, not mine.