• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What Are Your Hobbies?

Wu Wei

ursus senum severiorum and ex-Bisy Backson
What happened to your knee? Wu Wei?
What is didgeridoo?

My knee, injury, arthritis, meniscus repair and now they are going to replace it...the right knee. After that it is likely the left knee will also be replaced

The didgeridoo

also use to play guitar and still toy with a Ukulele and Mandolin

Last edited:

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
I mainly like shooting nature photography, landscapes, mountains, sunsets, etc.
That sounds like something I would enjoy doing if I ever had time... I'm kind of jealous. :D
I used to like taking pictures of nature scenes when I went on vacations... but I think those days are over. :(

Wu Wei

ursus senum severiorum and ex-Bisy Backson
One. New word. A musical instrument.
Two. A bear doing martial arts. LOL. Now that I think of it, there's a movie about that!

CHINESE martial arts for the last 30 years....Japanese and Korean for the 20 years prior

And whaddya mean bears doing martial arts...bears are MASTERS of it

It Aint Necessarily So

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Thanks for asking, @MatthewA

Competitive contract bridge has become my main avocation for the last eight years. This past year has all been online, but when we had our bridge club open, I was also teaching and directing weekly. I have a video series on YouTube called Bridge with Stephen (you can probably guess my first name from that). This is a sample lesson if anyone is interested what that looks like, or what I look like. I doubt that the content will be of much interest to non-bridge players, but it might be interesting to some to see just how many layers there are to this game. If you play the card games hearts or spades, then you are familiar with card games in which four people play 13-card hands and win ticks, maybe with some bidding first. But that's where the similarity ends. This is a game like chess that can be played the first time you sit down to it, but that you can spend the rest of your life learning.

When I first got to RF, I started a thread looking for the other bridge players here, but there were none then. Any now?

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
CHINESE martial arts for the last 30 years....Japanese and Korean for the 20 years prior

And whaddya mean bears doing martial arts...bears are MASTERS of it

I'm sorry. I have to guess Photo Shop. But, even so...

MatthewA

Each and every one of you are different and unique thank you very much for all post that have been made here. Appreciate it, and God bless you and your family and your life - if you are a believer. If not still thank you for contributing (still may you be blessed). Hope you all have enjoy the rest of your time online, Good night. Take care.

MatthewA

Pretty much everything I do is a hobby. I'm retired ... gardening, writing, forums, sports on TV, hikes with Boss, travel, sadhana. Some are more duty than hobbies, I guess. I planted some marigolds, nasturtiums and kale today. I took a 6 week hiatus from writing, but got back at it today. My book has a silly update, but that's for another thread.

What are some of the things you enjoy planting and growing in your garden?(Oh I see you planted some marigolds, nasturtiums and kale today, awesome!) What type of sports on tv, do you enjoy? What are some of the things you enjoy writing about? What is sadhana?
What kind of book is it you wrote?

MatthewA

Posting on RF as others have noted.

Dog related stuff: walking, ball throwing/retrieving, tug of war.

About an hour of TV every night after dinner with my wife.

Gardening but that's a lot of waging war on weeds and obliterating weeds with extreme prejudice - only those that my wife considers weeds, of course.

They're not hobbies but I do a lot of volunteering as well.

Sun rise: Gardening but that is a lot of waging war on weed and obliterating ` weeds with ` extreme prejudice ~ only those that my wife considers ; weeds of course! <- HAHA!

How many dogs do you and your wife have?

We quite like this,
The Vegetarian Recipes Thread
We usually have it every couple of weeks

Roman history, usually +/- 100 years of the fall of the republic, just started SPQR by Mary Beard. I cut my reading teeth on Terry Pratchett, Read all Iain Banks (and Iain M Banks) my favourite book is Excession.

Travelled a lot in Italy to see some of the Renaissance painting, my work was 3D
View attachment 50441
View attachment 50442

Ah ha, you want the short answer or the long one??? ;-). One of several reasons we moved to France was my fascination with cro magnon (EEMH). I sometimes go on digs with the Museum of Pre History (which happens to be quite local), there is nothing more enjoyable than crawling about on hands and knees in the semi dark and discovering some 30,000 year old artifact. Its usually nothing more than a piece of carbon or ochre. One of the highlights of my life was feeling what i thought was a buried rock that turned out to be my avatar...

a short story of my avatar.

Thank you for the information, and the vegetarian recipe.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
What do you enjoy painting, and drawing, and writing?

No particular subject matter as far as visual art; unfortunately I don't do it often enough to narrow it down.
As for writing I like poetry and short fiction.

Food :O Cooking? Have any favorite meals you enjoy cooking?
I always like attempting new dishes; but I'm partial towards Italian and Asian. I also enjoy doing classic burgers, hotdogs, bratwurst, steak, etc. on the grill.

Last edited:

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Dogs seem to equate walking with being loved, so my dog feels loved for about 1/2 mile per day. If I had no dog to take care of I wouldn't bother walking every day. My dog is an outdoor dog, however once a day I take her walking for 1/2 mile. It is the tiny bit of love I afford her. Its easy and no leash is required as we don't have to go through traffic. Walking is very important to dogs, and I think that 70% of their little brains must be dedicated to operating their four spindly legs at once. Also it sometimes seems as if the legs compete with each other for control of the dog. Walking is easier for me than it is for her as my brain is larger, and I only have to control two legs. As I walk I usually twirl my walking stick, hoping to chance upon a Bruce Lee skill. So far I have not, but I keep trying. Its a hobby.
Who walks whom?

MatthewA

Competitive contract bridge has become my main avocation for the last eight years. This past year has all been online, but when we had our bridge club open, I was also teaching and directing weekly. I have a video series on YouTube called Bridge with Stephen (you can probably guess my first name from that). This is a sample lesson if anyone is interested what that looks like, or what I look like. I doubt that the content will be of much interest to non-bridge players, but it might be interesting to some to see just how many layers there are to this game. If you play the card games hearts or spades, then you are familiar with card games in which four people play 13-card hands and win ticks, maybe with some bidding first. But that's where the similarity ends. This is a game like chess that can be played the first time you sit down to it, but that you can spend the rest of your life learning.

When I first got to RF, I started a thread looking for the other bridge players here, but there were none then. Any now?

Very interesting. This is you teaching? Will save to my favorites ~ Stephen. Thank you for sharing. Do you also happen to do any magic card tricks?

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
In no particular order;

Basketball, both playing (still!!) and coaching a junior team. I also watch games both live and on tv when possible.

Writing, of the fictional variety, although that's sporadic these days.

Family time. Wife and three daughters, with the youngest still a baby, so that keeps me busy.

Watching tv (mostly on train journey to and from work)

Beer...not just drinking it, but trying different ones, and going out of my way to locate interesting brews to sample.

Gaming, pretty much exclusively at night when everyone else is asleep.

Basketball! I coached volleyball for about 15 years. So who's your NBA team? Do you think the WNBA will ever get decent salaries? What's your take on that? I wonder if anyone else here follows basketball. Maybe I'll start a thread.

MatthewA

I am not sure what you mean when you say poetry about Rayoflight?

was responding to rayoflight ; but my response to you is below.

Thank you for getting back to me: You kind of just picked up and been part of your life, that is so cool. Would be fun to paint beside you I believe, and we paint whatever may be in front of us.

You went further by learning more by becoming serious about learning more about drawing, painting, and photography.

That is really cool, and thank you for sharing.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member

Do you know the card game, Wizard?

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
What are some of the things you enjoy planting and growing in your garden?(Oh I see you planted some marigolds, nasturtiums and kale today, awesome!) What type of sports on tv, do you enjoy? What are some of the things you enjoy writing about? What is sadhana?
What kind of book is it you wrote?
This is northern Canada (Edmonton) so the gardening just started. I grew up on a farm (we swam in a small river nearby) and Mom was my teacher. I will watch any sports, but if curling of all things is probably my favorite. That's because I was a fair yo middlin' curler in my youth, and still enjoy the strategy. I enjoy unique skill of any kind so Steph Curry or Connor McDavid interest me. But I enjoy great pianists or guitarists too. I am interested in why a certain person can get so darned good at something, anything, and the rest of us blokes flounder.

I wrote an older children short story collection, self-published last winter. One fellow on here read it, I think. He gave me a 5/5, but probably he figured I'd bawl for 3 hours if he gave me anything less. It's just for fun, and I need to tell the adventures with Amazon story some time. Goofy stuff big companies do.

This thread has been an interesting read. Thanks for starting it.