• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What are your Goals?

Shaul

Premium Member
I try to use a flow down design for my goals. I use a set of guiding principles, derived from multiple sources including my religion, which flow down to goals which flow to targets. Principles are generalized. Goals are topical and could be specific but don't include atomized demonstrable metrics. Targets are specific and include metrics in both time and accomplishments.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
Right now my short term goals are focused on the long journey I have ahead of me to slay some Dragons I find vexing.

For those thinking this is metaphorical, you're only partially right. I coach basketball and we need to drive more than 2 hours to play against our opponents on Friday night. The Dragons.

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.
Right now my short term goals are focused on the long journey I have ahead of me to slay some Dragons I find vexing.

For those thinking this is metaphorical, you're only partially right. I coach basketball and we need to drive more than 2 hours to play against our opponents on Friday night. The Dragons.
Did you end up slaying the Dragons?

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member
FunnySalesCartoonsDilbertRevenueGoals.gif

What are your personal goals?
If reference to,
Morals

Which would then also be an indicator to your morals.

My goals, I'll try to list them in order of importance.
  1. Make sure my family is provided for.
  2. Support my family's happiness.
  3. Personal survival.
  4. Personal happiness, which largely has a lot to do with the first three goals.
Beyond this there are temporary goals, usually which I set for myself on a daily/weekly/monthly basis.
Like doing my laundry. Paying the bills. Earning approximately $100 each day in the stock market. Exercise daily.

My "good" actions support these goals. My bad actions obstruct these goals.

Interesting thought, I never really considered the goals, not good at planning. :)

To be a world citizen is a goal.
To be the best at my Job that I can, in service of my community is a goal.
Supporting Family is always a goal, most importantly serving my wife, giving her a life she deserves.
Being strong in faith and its practice would be a goal.

Surviving RF would be high in the list. ;):D

Regards Tony

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member
FunnySalesCartoonsDilbertRevenueGoals.gif

What are your personal goals?
If reference to,
Morals

Which would then also be an indicator to your morals.

My goals, I'll try to list them in order of importance.
  1. Make sure my family is provided for.
  2. Support my family's happiness.
  3. Personal survival.
  4. Personal happiness, which largely has a lot to do with the first three goals.
Beyond this there are temporary goals, usually which I set for myself on a daily/weekly/monthly basis.
Like doing my laundry. Paying the bills. Earning approximately $100 each day in the stock market. Exercise daily.

So, does that mean that successfully robbing a bank would be an action that you deem to be "moral", because it helps you attain those 4 goals?

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
Maybe the problem is that you aren't properly explaining it.

It seems to me that my question is a perfectly reasonable one considering what I was replying to.

The question was about your goals. What they are and whether you feel they affect your morals.

However, I see right and wrong as situational. Though generally I'd consider consequences such as getting caught, paying fines or jail time as obstacles to my primary goals.
However I could imagine circumstances where the need is greater than the risk. Like if a family member needed an operation I couldn't otherwise afford.

Would it be moral or immoral for you to allow a family member to die if you could have saved them even if it meant you had to break the law?

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member
The question was about your goals. What they are and whether you feel they affect your morals.

But you also said:

So I assumed that you define your morals in terms of how they help you achieve your goals.
It's right there: you consider "good" those things that help you achieve your goals.
How then, is it not reasonable to therefor conclude that robbing a bank and getting away with it "is good" if the goal is to be rich?

Now, I assume that you wouldn't agree with that and consider the robbing of a bank an immoral act - regardless of whether or not it achieves your goal to be rich, or regardless if you get away with it or not.

So what I'm saying, is that clearly morals aren't connected to whatever goals you set out for yourself.

However, I see right and wrong as situational.

So do I. I also don't see them as a matter of personal opinion.
Moral dilemma's, where you have to choose without no "right" answer, then opinion is going to determine your decision, but otherwise... I say that there are right and wrong answers to ethical questions.

They are situational / contextual, but they are not a matter of mere personal opinion either.

Though generally I'd consider consequences such as getting caught, paying fines or jail time as obstacles to my primary goals.

Several paths exist to whatever goal you set for yourself.
Some of those paths are moral. Others are immoral.

However I could imagine circumstances where the need is greater than the risk. Like if a family member needed an operation I couldn't otherwise afford.

I think that's thin ice.
And it depends off course. But it's not like all other moral values then suddenly become irrelevant.
For example, I assume you wouldn't say the same when it comes to knocking some random person out to steal his kidneys to save your family member.

So it kind of depends.

Would it be moral or immoral for you to allow a family member to die if you could have saved them even if it meant you had to break the law?

Depends on what you have to do for it.

One way could be you having to jay-walk to push them to the side to save them from being run-over by a bus.

Another way could be by knocking someone out to take his kidneys.

Both would be breaking the law to save a loved one.
But clearly these two exist on different ethical levels.

You'll be called a hero in the first example.
A murderer in the second.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
But you also said:

So I assumed that you define your morals in terms of how they help you achieve your goals.
It's right there: you consider "good" those things that help you achieve your goals.
How then, is it not reasonable to therefor conclude that robbing a bank and getting away with it "is good" if the goal is to be rich?

Now, I assume that you wouldn't agree with that and consider the robbing of a bank an immoral act - regardless of whether or not it achieves your goal to be rich, or regardless if you get away with it or not.

So what I'm saying, is that clearly morals aren't connected to whatever goals you set out for yourself.

Being rich wasn't listed.
Maybe being rich would help but I don't see it as a necessary goal.

So do I. I also don't see them as a matter of personal opinion.
Moral dilemma's, where you have to choose without no "right" answer, then opinion is going to determine your decision, but otherwise... I say that there are right and wrong answers to ethical questions.

They are situational / contextual, but they are not a matter of mere personal opinion either.

No, but it does seem to me a matter of personal feeling. My goals are what I feel are good goals. Things I generally know would make me happy.
Things more important than being rich to my happiness.

Several paths exist to whatever goal you set for yourself.
Some of those paths are moral. Others are immoral.

What makes them immoral?

I think that's thin ice.
And it depends off course. But it's not like all other moral values then suddenly become irrelevant.
For example, I assume you wouldn't say the same when it comes to knocking some random person out to steal his kidneys to save your family member.

So it kind of depends.

There are other goals in play. One goal, maybe I should have mentioned which is to not benefit by causing unnecessary harm to another.
I have a preference to help others, even a stranger if it is possible for me to do so.
Helping people I find makes me happy as well.
It's not perfect but for me to decide that causing someone else harm is necessary would require extreme circumstances.

Depends on what you have to do for it.

One way could be you having to jay-walk to push them to the side to save them from being run-over by a bus.

Another way could be by knocking someone out to take his kidneys.

Both would be breaking the law to save a loved one.
But clearly these two exist on different ethical levels.

You'll be called a hero in the first example.
A murderer in the second.

Sure, other personal goals take priority.