• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What are your Garden Must Grow Plants?

Every gardener has something they plant every year. Wheather the reason is that one veggy grows great for you, or your home grown veggy tastes so much better than those you have to buy, your family garden just wouldn't be the same without...what?
In my area tomatoes and sweet corn are what gardeners wait for. Some gardeners I know like to pull out the lawn furniture and watch the tomato plants. They find peace in the garden and send out positive energy to those tomatoes! I consider them proud tomato parents.:beach:
My family loves certain herbs. I confess that I am a proud basil mommy. I lavish more care on my basil than any other herb or veggy for that matter. It wouldn't be summer for us if we didn't have a pesto made from the crabs we catch and lots of basil( I should mention that we pick the crabs first and don't use them whole). My tomatoes and cucumbers seem to have a mind of their own and are best left to their own devices. It's always a surprise to find a huge, ripe cucumber hiding where I least expect it to be.
What do you love growing the most? Are you a proud veggy parent?

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Tomatoes (Roma works best)
Basil
Asparagus
Hostas (not for eating)
Peppers (green, red, & sometimes jalapeno or habenero)
Norway spruce seedlings (also not for eating.....tough, very tough)

I never sit still among them, but I walk among'm often each day.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
I am very limited with what I can grow since I still live an apartment and am limited to container plants. Since living here, though, I have always grown basil and dill, as well as ornamental annuals salvia and marigold.

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
Basil, rosemary, thyme, cilantro, peppermint, sage, parsley.

I also grow zinnias and shasta daisies every year. They get HUGE and so showy that my neighbors have actually asked me if they are real. ("No. Every few days, I replace fake flowers with bigger fake flowers so that people will think they're growing.") I just planted morning glories - the world's easiest plant to grow - and I can't wait till they flower and crawl all over my fence!

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Funny that you say morning glories are easy to grow. I tried them last year from seed and they were a complete disaster. The seedlings got infested early with a pest and they never recovered. Then again, I also see you live in Texas. I imagine they would be significantly easier to grow down there than here in the upper midwest.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
kale and swiss chard ... despite having been as low as -7 already, they're still good ... 4 months of greens in prairie Canuckistan is unbeatable. I heard swiss chard will last all winter in just slightly wamer climates if you throw a tarp blanket on it on colder days.

Shuddhasattva

Basil
Basil
Basil
Cilantro
Aubergines
Tomatos (Roma, Cherry)
Zucchini
Cucumber
Onions
Squash
Beans
Artichokes
Spinach
Chili peppers
Also, basil

BSM1

What? Me worry?
Cherry tomatoes.
The grandkids would pick out certain ones, watch them every day, and when they were red enough they would Hoover them right off the vines.

Straw Dog

Cherry tomatoes for sure. Also, different varieties of peppers. Basil and other herbs of course. I like cucumbers and squash, but haven't had much luck with them the past couple years. I have box and patio gardens.

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
We don't have a garden, but in our balcony and kitchen window we grow cherry tomatoes, baby eggplants, hot peppers, lemongrass, basil, parsley, mint, and rosemary.

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
Tomatoes (beefsteak, roma/paste, and cherry), cucumbers, eggplant, green head lettuce, red and green bell peppers, jalapeno and serrano peppers, and bush beans.

I have yet to find success with carrots and more cruciferous veggies like cauliflower and broccoli. They have confounded me to no end. :sad:

We also in our herb garden have sweet basil, oregano, thyme, parsley, cilantro, mint, rosemary, lavendar, lemongrass, and lemon balm. It's right outside our front door and our living room window, so when the lavender bush blooms, I love it when the weather is agreeable to us opening the windows.

I have turned into a tomato snob, however. I have a tendency to turn my nose up (literally) to tomatoes in the produce section at the store. To me, they taste like wet cardboard. At least that's what I assume wet cardboard tastes like.

My tomatoes are always my pride and joy. I watch them and sing when I'm among them. I usually hear about talking to your plants, but I've never found myself doing that in the 15 years or so of gardening. I prefer to sing.

This year we're starting our berry bushes and grape arbor. I want to eventually get our flower garden started again in our front yard. But the debate goes between that or fruit trees, and we haven't settled that debate yet. So the lawn remains in the front yard for now.

For now, though. I still plan on winning this debate. :D

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
The ground here is still frozen. It snowed last Oct. 15 or so, and it hasn't left, so I didn't finish turning it last fall. It's not supposed to warm up to above +10 for at least another week. All I can do is turn on the Masters and get envious.

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member
My must have is Zuchini or green squash. I make bread from it. We add it to soups. We cook it in a garlic sauce and we fry it. Just 4 plants and I provide it to the neighbors as well.

After that tomatoes but I am getting tired of them. I love cucumbers but I have a bug that kills them after half the year. I would love to do potatoes but they are hot and cold in my garden.

Sangaran

A religious garden for me contains roses, a lot of lawn, bamboo, firtree, lillies and bushes as rhododendron. Maybe even magnolias, lime- and oak trees.

Last edited:

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member
Zucchini can't wait till I can make that first batch of zucchini bread or muffins. I love the sauteed zucchini with garlic pepper and butter. Fried Zucchini and Zucchini in soups and stew.
My Kids love to watch the pumpkins grow, trying to get them as big as possible, so far 75 lbs is the biggest.
Trying potatoes again, one year I got 20 lbs and they taste so good not like anything I've ever bought but we have to see if what comes.