• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What are your favourite spiritual quotes?

Ana.J

I just wanted to create a thread for people to share their favourite quotes from holy scriptures, books and other resources. Let's share some wisdom here :)

I'll start

“Spirituality is not adopting more beliefs and assumptions but uncovering the best in you.” ― Amit Ray

“An atheist is a person who has nobody to blame when he screws up.” ― Fakeer Ishavardas :D

Godobeyer

the word "Islam" means "submission" to God
Premium Member
From Holy Quran:

And say, "The truth is from your Lord, so whoever wills - let him believe; and whoever wills - let him disbelieve." Indeed, We have prepared for the wrongdoers a fire whose walls will surround them. And if they call for relief, they will be relieved with water like murky oil, which scalds [their] faces. Wretched is the drink, and evil is the resting place.

https://quran.com/18/29

rusra02

Premium Member
"This means everlasting life, their coming to know you, the only true God, and the one whom you sent, Jesus Christ." (John 17:3)

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
"A person is what they think they are, what others think they are, and what they really are."
--- A Druidic
triad

These words remind us that our identity is multifaceted - it isn't just how we think of ourselves, or how others think of us, or the supposedly existing "objective reality" behind those perceptions. It is all of these things. :D

"Three whose full reward can never be given to them: parents, a good teacher, and the gods."
--- A Druidic triad

These are three things who our gratitude for is beyond measure; they are so impactful and formative in who and what we are, that we would not be without them.

DawudTalut

Peace be upon you.
Holy Quran
Chapter 2, Verse 254

Allah — there is no God but He, the Living, the Self-Subsisting and All-Sustaining. Slumber seizes Him not, nor sleep. To Him belongs whatsoever is in the heavens and whatsoever is in the earth. Who is he that will intercede with Him except by His permission? He knows what is before them and what is behind them; and they encompass nothing of His knowledge except what He pleases. His knowledge extends over the heavens and the earth; and the care of them burdens Him not; and He is the High, the Great.
[alislam.org]

McBell

Resident Sourpuss
"People are stupid; given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe it's true, or because they are afraid it might be true. People's heads are full of knowledge, facts, and beliefs, and most of it is false, yet they think it all true. People are stupid; they can only rarely tell the difference between a lie and the truth, and yet they are confident they can, and so are all the easier to fool."
~ Zeddicus Zu'l Zorander

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member
I just wanted to create a thread for people to share their favourite quotes from holy scriptures, books and other resources. Let's share some wisdom here :)

I'll start

“Spirituality is not adopting more beliefs and assumptions but uncovering the best in you.” ― Amit Ray

“An atheist is a person who has nobody to blame when he screws up.” ― Fakeer Ishavardas :D

My signature: We carve an idol out of fear, and we call it God (Det sjunde inseglet)

Ciao

- viole

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
"Religion is like underwear: what works well for me might be inappropriate for someone else, including you!"
--- Aidan Odison

Man... I haven't listened to an episode of that guy's podcast in a long time. Should get back to it, I think. He's a Pagan clergyperson with a background in Gnostic Christianity and (last I knew) following a Wiccan/Nordic path.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
I don't know what "spiritual" means, but if inspiring wisdom fits the bill...

"For each man, the world is as it was on the first day, and as full of untold novelties for him who has eyes to see them."

Edit: forgot to say that this is T.H. Huxley

Last edited:

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
"A man without mirth is like a wagon without springs.....he is jolted disagreeably by every pebble in the road"

Henry Ward Beecher

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
This seems like a joke, but I'm serious.
It's the greatest philosophical quote of all time.....

S**t happens

Why?
It sums up everything, while adding nothing superfluous or dubious.

Wirey

Fartist
"A lot of people come up here and thank Jesus for this award. I want you to know that no one had less to do with this award than Jesus. Suck it, Jesus. This is my God now!"

Cathy Griffin

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
"We must be capable of loving all people, unconditionally. Is it asking too much to love an enemy? It may seem like an impossible undertaking, but it is based on a very simple observation: all beings without exception wish to avoid suffering and to know happiness. Genuinely altruistic love is the desire for that wish to be granted."

~ from a book called "Happiness" by Matthieu Ricard

“Every day, think as you wake up, today I am fortunate to be alive, I have a precious human life, I am not going to waste it. I am going to use all my energies to develop myself, to expand my heart out to others; to achieve enlightenment for the benefit of all beings. I am going to have kind thoughts towards others, I am not going to get angry or think badly about others. I am going to benefit others as much as I can.”

~ Dalai Lama

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
"Gratitude helps you grow and expand; gratitude brings joy and laughter into your life and into the lives of those around you."

~ Eileen Caddy

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
I've got so many that it's hard for me to choose. But here's a small selection:

"In the inner spiritual panorama of the universe nothing is more sublime than a spontaneous prayer. It gushes out of the human heart, filled with appreciative joy." (Meher Baba)

"The human heart can see what's hidden to the eyes, and the heart knows things that the mind does not begin to understand." (end of the movie "They Might be Giants")

"Don't Believe Everything You Think" (not sure where this comes from)

And a couple just for fun from http://nancybuttons.com/

"You're here to save my soul? I'm here to test your faith "

"God is watching-- it's a good thing He's easily amused"

wicketkeeper

Living From the Heart.
This seems like a joke, but I'm serious.
It's the greatest philosophical quote of all time.....

S**t happens

Why?
It sums up everything, while adding nothing superfluous or dubious.

Indeed S**t happens, apparently were not allowed to write the word sh*t with all of its letters because it may offend some folk ! Yet my friend's son of 4 said something worse than sh*t ! Obviously he'd overheard someone say this word which begins with the letter F, he sat next to his dad and said F it I'm tired. Much laughter followed the little 'un's bleep episode !!!

So yes, sh*t happens !

Skwim

Veteran Member

“Nobody has the right to worship on this planet any other God than Jehovah. And therefore the state does not have the responsibility to defend anybody’s pseudo-right to worship an idol.” –Rev. Joseph Morecraft, Chalcedon Presbyterian Church, “Biblical Role of Civil Government” speech given 8/31/93 at Biblical Worldview and Christian Education Conference

"Our culture is superior because our religion is Christianity and that is the truth that makes men free.”–Pat Buchanan, American conservative political commentator

“We don’t have to protect the environment, the Second Coming is at hand.”
–James Watt, Secretary of the Interior during the Reagan years.

“Sex education classes in our public schools are promoting incest.” –Jimmy Swaggart, televangelist

“When you know the LORD you have no need for masturbation.” –Brice Wellington, Born-again-Catholic on Boston Bullet BBS
source