• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What Are Your Favorite and Most Disliked Movie Genres?

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Like sci-fi, historical, quirky, some fantasy, some drama, some comedy.

Dislike romance, anything with excessive violence, some comedy

Erebus

Favourite is horror by a long margin. I've probably seen more horror films than films from every other genre combined. I also like fantasy and sci-fi on occasion.

Least favourite are romance and high-school dramas. I find them either incredibly dull or outright irritating.

Now I'm going to play a wild card and put comedy into both my favourite and least favourite categories. I love a good comedy (particularly horror comedy obviously) and there are a few films out there that had me in stitches. On the flip side though, there's nothing worse than a comedy that consistently fails to make you so much as smirk.

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
Possibly those with a political element. The Duke, Vice, Downfall and the Big Short spring to mind.

No to romances, musicals and superheroes.

England my lionheart

Rockerjahili Rebel
Premium Member
I like movies like Mississippi burning,Sci Fi Alien movies and war movies like “All quiet on the western front”,the original is best imo,comedy like Withnail and I,Bridget Jones or even American Pie,I’m easy but I’m not cheap.

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
I like slasher, horror, sci fi some musicals
I dislike chick flicks, normally. Though there are some good ones
I hate romance, normally. Though there are a couple exceptions

Truth in love

My favorite is horror, followed by thrillers and kaiju/monster movies--in that order.

Most disliked is romance, by far.
Sci fi except the horror stuff.
I like history and documentaries.

I dislike gory stuff, really dumb humor. I also don’t want to watch people having sex.

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
I love horror (actual disturbing, gory, extreme horror at that), psychological thrillers, exploitation films and B-movies, science fiction (especially cyberpunk and speculative fiction), gritty action and drama the most. I enjoy comedies and romance, too (I just watched Clueless for the thousandth time the other night).

I love some of the New French Extremity movies. Martyrs was so deep and disturbing, although I wouldn't want to sit through it again just because of how dark it was.

I can't really think of a genre I really dislike, but I am really sick of all the damn superhero movies oversaturating the market and their respective cults being shoved down everyone's throats. I hope Disney implodes soon and goes away. I'm also not a fan of pc/woke pandering, which is usually an excuse to distract from lack of ability to write a compelling (or even coherent) story with strong characters (sums up Jordan Peele).

Jordan Peele's work seems to be a hit or miss. I found Get Out good but not extraordinarily amazing like some think, and its delivery of its message felt a bit too heavy-handed. On the other hand, Us was absolutely brilliant.

Disney's commodification of diversity is quite obnoxious. It feels so forced when a corporation tries to jump on current popular or polarizing sentiments for publicity when it's quite obvious they're not sincere or concerned about the social issues behind the sentiments.

Erebus

I love some of the New French Extremity movies. Martyrs was so deep and disturbing, although I wouldn't want to sit through it again just because of how dark it was.

I'd describe Martyrs as the best film I've seen that I never want to watch again.