• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What are YOU looking for in politicians?

Mathematician

Reason, and reason again
As an aspiring politician, I hope to one day be the best I can be at helping my people and working to benefit all man. But as many people know, politicians tend to do "more" and less than they're asked for, almost always leading us to scratch our heads.

Thus, I'm making this topic to get some ideas. What are YOU looking for in a good politician (and not in the sense that they're good liars :D )? This is more geared towards characteristics than stances on individual issues, but you can include anything you want.

Some things to consider:

Smear Campaigns
Negative Ads
Brutal Honesty
Debating
Compromising/This Way Is Best
Traditional Concerns/Media-Deprived Concerns

greatcalgarian

I would consider a politician to be very successful if he or she can be bought.:p and remain popular.

Whether the buying is through money, or offer of irrestible benefit, or blackmail.

evearael

I look for honesty, integrity, passion, intellect and wisdom. I prefer someone who will hold their ground despite what the polls say. I want an actual leader. I think very poorly of smear campaigns and the politicians who use them. I feel that skills in debating are a must... and not with sound bytes. I want actual responses, not spin. I have no respect for politicians who cower for special interest groups. I want a politician who is doing the best thing for America for our long term interests, not just what will get him re-elected. I want someone who will take responsibility for their actions and not shift their blame to others.

almifkhar

to me a good politican would be someone who was,
honest
could understand how to budget
would stand up against what is wrong even if it meant losing his/her job
has a backbone
someone who could make a vote or policy with out needing finanical assentive to do it
some one who would out law the lobby groups

niceguy

Someone that is NOT a saint, a politican with a totally clean record are hiding something, we are all humans we all get some dirt on us. A good politican admits this and apologise if neccesary. A politican that may have cheated a little with his taxes 20 years ago, smoked some joints in their high schoolyears , got cought speeding last year and was found drunk in a public place last week are probably not a god chooise but it's ok to have some stains on ones record. Then it will just be a question if whatever I agree with them politically or not if they get my vote.

sparc872

I want to see a politician that does not give in to party politics. Look at the voting in the House or Senate right now and as far back as we can go. There is hardly a decision that isn't split down the middle between the two parties.

I want a politician that is open to change.

Contrary to what most people here have said, I want a politician that does listen to the polls rather than just going on what he thinks is right. What if he is wrong and the people are right? We are the constituents, we are the ones being represented. The politician is our voice. I am not saying that he has to bend to every desire of the masses, because we are often wrong in our desires, but a good politician would at least make an effort to educate the people about why they are wrong and he is right.

A good politician will not resort to attacking the opposition to get votes. He will not rely on fear tactics. A good politician will take office based on his merit alone, he is the one representing us. We aren't being represented by the not-politician that is smeared to death in a campaign.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Honesty...honesty and honesty...........a genuine desire to better the lot of the people who you are representing, and the strength of character that will never let you be tempted by any form of opportunity to achieve anything for which you would have to break your own moral codes.

Lintu

I like politicians who will admit to being wrong after considering new evidence or another person's dissenting views. This shows intelligence and humility, which to me are two important characteristics in a leader.

nutshell

Pretty simple really: I want a politician whose political, economic, and moral beliefs most closely align with my own and is willing to do everything the law allows and is morally acceptable to move those beliefs forward, through the democratic process, of course.

Crystallas

Older politicians are the ones I like the best. Call me crazy, but ever since people started going JFK crazy in this country with younger office holders, it seems as if the amount of developing time IN office was a great deal longer for each person.

Radio Frequency X

World Leader Pretend
I look to vote for capitalists, environmentalists, and moderates with strong family values, integrity, and compassion. I'll vote for leaders who seem to care about the people, even if I don't agree with all their politics.