• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What are you grateful for?

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
Gratitude is considered a virtue by most religions.

So what are you grateful for - apart from this wonderful forum of course!

I am most grateful that my mind hasn't been completely scrambled by the experience of schizophrenia. I still have most of my marbles!

I am also grateful to have such a supportive family who never abandoned me no matter how wild & crazy my psychotic episodes may have been. A lot of people who have schizophrenia end up with little or no emotional support.

I could list many other things but that's probly enough from me for the time being.

What do you say ...

Daemon Sophic

I, like Steve Martin, am grateful that there are no rectal barometers.
Actually the nerves within the walls of the rectum have a rather unique ability to sense both pressure as well as water content (or moisture). This has saved you, and all of us, from many a soiled set of underwear. ;)

As for myself, I am grateful for a great many things.....and now, the presence of rectal barometers is added to that list. :cool:

Trailblazer

Veteran Member

I am most grateful that my mind hasn't been completely scrambled by the experience of schizophrenia. I still have most of my marbles!

I am also grateful to have such a supportive family who never abandoned me no matter how wild & crazy my psychotic episodes may have been. A lot of people who have schizophrenia end up with little or no emotional support.

I could list many other things but that's probly enough from me for the time being.

What do you say ...
I have a genetic predisposition to depression and anxiety and probably some of it comes from my childhood and adult experiences. I could probably be more "normal" if I was willing to take psychotropic drugs but I refuse to go down that road again.

I am grateful for many things, but even if I am grateful for something I am still unhappy about something else. Once a few years ago a counselor (actually she was the director of the clinic who I got special treatment from) told me that most people would be happy if they had everything i have: Financial security, a nice husband and a good job. Obviously she did not understand how I felt or why.

A little background might help understand why I am conflicted; grateful on the one hand and angry on the other. I have believed in God for over 47 years but I ignored God for most of my life and for about ten years I was just angry at God. It was only about five years ago when I decided to give God and my religion a second chance, That has been a struggle, especially the God part. I love my religion but I have issues with God because there are so many things I do not understand, and even though my religion explains them, I am none too happy with the explanation. Mainly, I wonder why God allows suffering of people but more so suffering of animals, and I wonder why some people have it so good while others suffer so much. If God is loving and just, that does not seem right; yet I am supposed to believe it because it is in the scriptures. ;)

So back to the topic at hand, gratefulness... I often wonder if most people who are "normal" are grateful for many things and have no complaints about anything in their life, they are just happy all the time. That is what it seems like but I just see them from a distance. But indeed surveys show that most people are happy, not depressed, so maybe it is not just what I see on the surface. :confused:

I am grateful for God and my religion but sometimes I wish I never found it and I was an atheist, because it carries a lot of responsibility and I have no fun anymore, except on forums. :rolleyes:
I am grateful there is a life after death but sometimes I wish there was no such thing, because unless it is a lot better than this life, I cannot imagine anything worse than living forever. :eek:

I am grateful for my husband except when we are not getting along. :):(
I am grateful for my job and except when the alarm clock rings at 5 am and I have only slept 4 or 5 hours. :):(
I am grateful that I was able to get a lot of advanced education and that my mind is very much intact. :D
I am grateful that my physical health is very good. :D

I am grateful I have a three houses except when I have to deal with yard work, repairs and tenants. :):(
I am grateful for the other assets we have except when I have to worry about losing them. :):(
I am grateful I could retire any time I want to but I am worried about retiring, although I do not know exactly why. :):(

I am grateful for my cats except when they get really sick and especially when they die. :):(
I am grateful for this forum except when I spend too much time on it and have no time to do anything else, including getting enough sleep. :):(

All in all, I really have nothing to complain about, but I still feel like something is wrong a lot of the time. I think that is the free floating anxiety, so I just have to ride it out. Staying busy on the forum thinking about other people and not myself is what helps me more than anything else does, that and vigorous physical activity which helps my mood. I am always much happier if I think I am helping someone else than if I am doing something that is only for myself, like enjoying myself... What's that anyway? o_O:confused:

Last edited:

Enoch07

It's all a sick freaking joke.
Premium Member
I am grateful for my family. I am grateful for God for everything, but especially for molding me (the good and the bad) into the Dad they know and love.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
I am grateful for many many things - in no particular order: For being in good health in my mid-70's. For my wife of 48 years. For a special dear friend. For God's grace. For a dog that brings smiles to us every day. For being alive as the Kali Yuga (dark age) dies and the Sat Yuga (golden age) takes birth. For being able to help and serve others.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member

What do you say ...

Im grateful I have my art to define my life
Happy I can say when Im sad: that's nothing... compared to suffering from clinical depression
Im glad the paasing of my grandmother helped me have peace mind when my aunt pased away last month (an can talk about it before getting teary eyes)
Im glad my brain surgery made me have no life threatening seizures as long as I take my meds

Im thankful that Im alive even though at times its hard to show it.

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
One thing I am REALLY grateful for is all the talented musicians, singers and songwriters.

Life would indeed be very dull without music!

ajay0

I am grateful for the knowledge that gratitude and focus on the positive brings more similar positives to life, while a complaining attitude and focus on the negative brings more negatives to life.

When you don't feel a sense of lack, then you feel grateful. The feelings of lack and gratitude cannot co-exist. In life, whatever you put your attention on, grows. It's natural for the seed you sow to grow and multiply if you nurture it. If you sow the seed of lack, only lack will grow. When you feel a lack, grumbling begins in some corner and life gets into a self-perpetuating cycle of negative feelings.
When you open up to the providence the Nature has bestowed on you, immediately a sense of contentment comes and with it more providence. And when you complain and grumble, even whatever little joy, peace or love with which you have come into this world will all also vanish.
- Sri Sri Ravi Shankar ( Art of Living Foundation)

Thief

Rogue Theologian

What do you say ...
my wife had colon cancer many years ago.....

I still have her

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
I am grateful for the knowledge that gratitude and focus on the positive brings more similar positives to life, while a complaining attitude and focus on the negative brings more negatives to life.

Very true!

I used to complain about just about everything.

I now count my blessings daily ...

ajay0

It is the nature of the Self or Awareness/Mindfulness to be realistic and focus on the positives, while the unconscious ego focusses on the negatives.

This is a good way to audit the state of consciousness and see whether it is Aware or unconscious on the basis of its perception.