• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What are you eating?

Tumah

Veteran Member
Horrible pre-packaged frozen shawarma and two day old pita.

Thanks Mrs. Tumah for being in a rush tonight.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
Horrible pre-packaged frozen shawarma and two day old pita.

Thanks Mrs. Tumah for being in a rush tonight.
I got your pita beat by one day, but they ain't green yet.

Today we're having leftover minestrone soup (vegetarian), with tomatoes :D, and a salad with more tomatoes. :D:D

Tomorrow, I'm the "chef" (please pray for us) whereas I'm making homemade pita pizzas (no tomato sauce in this case :() along with another salad with more tomatoes.:D:D:D

Tumah

Veteran Member
I got your pita beat by one day, but they ain't green yet.

Today we're having leftover minestrone soup (vegetarian), with tomatoes :D, and a salad with more tomatoes. :D:D

Tomorrow, I'm the "chef" (please pray for us) whereas I'm making homemade pita pizzas (no tomato sauce in this case :() along with another salad with more tomatoes.:D:D:D
I'm only liking your post because I have to make some sort of response against the tomatoes.
You should go ahead and consider it a non-like.

metis

I'm only liking your post because I have to make some sort of response against the tomatoes.
You should go ahead and consider it a non-like.
Reminds me of the fact that the Vatican and some Protestant groups at first banned the eating of tomatoes based on the idea that it was "the devil's fruit".

BTW, a question for ya: which vegetable was often referred to as "Jew-fruit", we ate so much of it in certain locations? No fair looking it up. [I'm Humming the Jeopardy theme]

Tumah

Veteran Member
Reminds me of the fact that the Vatican and some Protestant groups at first banned the eating of tomatoes based on the idea that it was "the devil's fruit".
I wonder if that's related to the reason why ben yehudah decided to call it a name that basically means passion fruit.

BTW, a question for ya: which vegetable was often referred to as "Jew-fruit", we ate so much of it in certain locations? No fair looking it up. [I'm Humming the Jeopardy theme]
I'm going to say figs because that seems to have been a major staple food in Talmudic times from what i can tell.

metis

I wonder if that's related to the reason why ben yehudah decided to call it a name that basically means passion fruit.
Good question, but I don't know the answer.

I'm going to say figs because that seems to have been a major staple food in Talmudic times from what i can tell.
Bzzzzzzz! Wrong! You lose!

Answer: eggplant. It was extremely popular in southern Europe and northern Africa amongst Jews whereas that was a nickname it was sometimes called by.

BTW, my favorite pasta dish is with a marinara sauce with some lightly fried eggplant and potato. The eggplant sort of "sweetens" the sauce of sorts, much like some meat tends to do, and I've long wondered if because it seems to have a similar effect that meat does that maybe that's why it became so popular with us?

Tumah

Veteran Member
Good question, but I don't know the answer.

Bzzzzzzz! Wrong! You lose!

Answer: eggplant. It was extremely popular in southern Europe and northern Africa amongst Jews whereas that was a nickname it was sometimes called by.

BTW, my favorite pasta dish is with a marinara sauce with some lightly fried eggplant and potato. The eggplant sort of "sweetens" the sauce of sorts, much like some meat tends to do, and I've long wondered if because it seems to have a similar effect that meat does that maybe that's why it became so popular with us?
Really, eggplant? I mean, they eat a lot of eggplant salad here. But I thought it was a ME thing, not specific to Jews.

Have you tried matbucha?

metis

Really, eggplant? I mean, they eat a lot of eggplant salad here. But I thought it was a ME thing, not specific to Jews.

Have you tried matbucha?
I had to look it up since I'm not familiar with the name, and I haven't had that exact recipe but have many times had dishes that are somewhat similar. One of my favorites is a very simple one, namely garbanzo beans with chopped onion, chopped tomatoes, olive oil, garlic salt, fresh basil, chopped jalapeno (although I sometimes use as a replacement chipotle sauce) and balsamic vinegar.

Since I'm mostly vegetarian, one thing that's nice is that both Jewish and Italian cuisines are very compatible with that. Because of my age-- er, I mean maturity (70)-- I do also allow myself to have fish normally one and sometimes even two days a week.

As far as the eggplant is concerned, it is also common with other peoples in the Mediterranean area as well, but for some reason we really went head over heels with it, in the past at least. My wife is from the area of Trapani in n.w. Sicily, and there used to be a lot of Jews that lived in that area, and there still are some left that we met when staying nearby, and eggplant is a staple in my wife's family and our own. We have it in some variation at least once a week.

Do you like it at all?

Tumah

Veteran Member
I had to look it up since I'm not familiar with the name, and I haven't had that exact recipe but have many times had dishes that are somewhat similar. One of my favorites is a very simple one, namely garbanzo beans with chopped onion, chopped tomatoes, olive oil, garlic salt, fresh basil, chopped jalapeno (although I sometimes use as a replacement chipotle sauce) and balsamic vinegar.

Since I'm mostly vegetarian, one thing that's nice is that both Jewish and Italian cuisines are very compatible with that. Because of my age-- er, I mean maturity (70)-- I do also allow myself to have fish normally one and sometimes even two days a week.

As far as the eggplant is concerned, it is also common with other peoples in the Mediterranean area as well, but for some reason we really went head over heels with it, in the past at least. My wife is from the area of Trapani in n.w. Sicily, and there used to be a lot of Jews that lived in that area, and there still are some left that we met when staying nearby, and eggplant is a staple in my wife's family and our own. We have it in some variation at least once a week.

Do you like it at all?
Not at all. But my wife's favorite food is eggplant Parmesan.

Smart_Guy

Premium Member
plain white rice....thank you acid reflux

White-Rice-3.jpg

Yeah! I love plan wheat rise!

Err... huh?

Ah, I just had 2 packed cheap chocolate pies and water.

metis

Not at all. But my wife's favorite food is eggplant Parmesan.
We make that every once in while as I especially prefer it homemade because what a lot of restaurants do is to deep-fry the eggplant with heavy breading versus just sauteing it with very light Italian breadcrumbs. And then instead of using mozzarella cheese we tend to sprinkle it with parmesan, which gives it a sharper bite. Our sauce tends to be a marinara that's pretty heavy with garlic. Good stuff!

metis

Today I ate something very atypical for an Italian

spaghetti_vongole_pomodoro_03.jpg
I can't make out all the ingredients but it doesn't look atypical to me. Real Italian pastas, not the Americanized stuff, tend to have either no meat or very little meat, often seafood, with a simple sauce using very fresh ingredients. Ground beef in sauce is extremely rare in Italy, usually in the form of meatballs when it is included, and I don't even like it.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
Ground beef in sauce is extremely rare in Italy, usually in the form of meatballs when it is included, and I don't even like it.
Spaghetti with meatballs is something Americans invented (well...take a look at the movie Lady and the Tramp). I've never eaten spaghetti with meatballs. .

metis

well....only tomato sauce, clams, olive oil, parsley and basil.
I had that a loooooooooooooong time ago, and it was quite good. We use basil and oregano a lot, but not so much parsley. However, in the Swedish cuisine that I grew up having most of the time as a kid, parsley was used in a lot of dishes. I had a hard time at first with my wife's Sicilian cuisine because of all the olive oil, garlic, tomatoes, spices,etc.,which stunk up the whole house-- now I love the "stink".