• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What are you doing to make sure there's a planet that will support your great grandkids?

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
Stopped using plastic straws?
Turned off your air conditioning when it's still hot?
Paying careful attention to the difference between garbage and recycling?
Badgering your local political representative to do the right thing?

Ignoring it all and hoping it's fake?
Waiting for God to make it all better?
Consigning you grand or great-grand children to a world that can't support them?

Having bonfires every night?
Flying from here to there at a moment's notice for some momentary pleasure?

Or didn't you know that we are changing our world in ways we may not be able to recover from?

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
I actually was thinking about this subject recently. One thing I can do is cut down on future e-waste by not buying large desktop computers, as the smaller devices do what I need.

Enoch07

It's all a sick freaking joke.
Premium Member

Try to, I keep a hard plastic straw that I reuse. I've had it for about 3 years now and use it as much possible. Don't always have it on me though, most of the time it stays at work, where I spend most of my time.

Also use cloth bags for groceries, no more disposable plastic bags.

Low emission car.

Partial wind power for my home. Moving to a wind/solar combination soon for 100% conversion.

Yes, I reduced my power consumption by 30% by turning off my A.C. when I leave the house. On hardcore cleaning days (once per week) where I spend extra effort cleaning the house I turn off the A.C. open the windows and doors and clean like a mad man with just ceiling fans.

Wish I could. No good curbside recycling business in my area. I would spend more in gas and emissions recycling manually. I'm lobbying my local city govt to start a recycling truck that will pick up items already divided into their proper receptacles. Germany's recycling program is my inspiration.

By badgering of you mean asking politely yes.

Nope, it's real, but the sky is not falling anytime soon.

Oh He will. Just not how you would like.

Consigning you grand or great-grand children to a world that can't support them

No children or grand children to think of. I do it because I can.

I wish, still gotta finish the fire pit in the backyard.

Only when necessary. But it's been over 10 years since I used a plane so I'm good.

Or didn't you know that we are changing our world in ways we may not be able to recover from?

The world will recover. Whether or not humans are still a part of that world is a different question. If we don't make it then so be it, nothing last forever. Just ask the dinosaurs, oh wait.

Daemon Sophic

Eating vegan/vegetarian is at least as effective as replacing gas cars for electric, and/or rigging up solar panels on the house.
Unfortunately I don’t have either of those latter items.....yet.

Recycling avidly.

Teaching my kids, and anyone else who will listen, about these issues.

Calling politicians on occasion.

Planting a few trees.

Gave up all drinks in plastic bottles over a year ago.

No straws; cloth reusable bags or paper.

icehorse

......unaffiliated...... anti-dogmatist
Premium Member
What @Daemon Sophic said bears repeating:

Stop eating meat! Or at least cut way down on it. Eating meat costs the environment ENORMOUS amounts of fresh water and it damages our topsoil, which takes centuries to recover.

Next, stop flying, or again, cut way down.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
I suppose the architects and leadership of all this through their own volition start setting an example themselves for others to follow.

Right? Righhhtt? .....

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
I don't have any kids, much less grandkids.

Why should I inconvenience myself in any way for the benefit of people who think I'm going to hell, and pop out babies while driving big SUVs? And claiming that God is about to come rescue the good folks with Armageddon?
I'm gay and live in Jesustan. Why would I bother taking better care of their kids than they do?
Tom

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member

Consigning you grand or great-grand children to a world that can't support them?

By posting here, I will change (for the better) habits of the 7+ billion other people on Earth.

Last edited:

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
VP Pence used to be governor of my state, Indiana.
He spent tons of money and political capital trying to make sure that my marriage would never be recognized by church or state.

Why should I care what happens to his grandkids?
Tom

Left Coast

This Is Water
Staff member
Premium Member
VP Pence used to be governor of my state, Indiana.
He spent tons of money and political capital trying to make sure that my marriage would never be recognized by church or state.

Why should I care what happens to his grandkids?
Tom

I completely sympathize with your frustration. However, it's not his grandkids' fault he's a d***. And our decisions will affect everyone's grandkids, including the grandkids of the people you love and who fought for your rights alongside you.

gnomon

What's this "worth" based on?
What's your opinion on the moral, social and environmental implications of carnivory?

I don't think I can go vegetarian or vegan at this point. But placing meat as a side or even along the level of a condiment would be good. Not only because I just learned my cholesterol is very high but because such a small step if taken by everyone would help the environment.

Originally I just really liked your post but yeah.....even for those of us who still eat meat if we cut it down to the smaller portion would help in my opinion. Also I think cutting so called "alternatives" or even out would help. Such as almond milk. A not even close to milk substance that uses a vast amount of water and just getting people to drink....water......would help as well.

But giving up meat is not essential for many cultures. Not having kids....I would say that is essential for every culture.

Stop breeding people!