• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What are you currently playing?

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I'm disappoint more wasn't done with the IP.
That's what I keep hearing. I was very impressed with the demo, got the game, but for whatever reason didn't get very far. Same thing with FF7 and 9. I was progressing through them, not bored, and for some reason never made it through. At least with Tactics I was still pretty new to that genre (Shining Force 1 was the only similar game I'd played prior to that), got frustrated because I found it very difficult, and never beat it because of that. The last time I attempted it I got further than I did previously, but I felt a bit "blugh" over the professions thing and didn't have the patients for it at that particular moment.

Flame

Beware
That's what I keep hearing. I was very impressed with the demo, got the game, but for whatever reason didn't get very far. Same thing with FF7 and 9. I was progressing through them, not bored, and for some reason never made it through. At least with Tactics I was still pretty new to that genre (Shining Force 1 was the only similar game I'd played prior to that), got frustrated because I found it very difficult, and never beat it because of that. The last time I attempted it I got further than I did previously, but I felt a bit "blugh" over the professions thing and didn't have the patients for it at that particular moment.

If you're looking for games similar to early FFs and LoD; have you tried Shadow Hearts? That one might be up your alley.

I tried Tactics but stopped since I didn't enjoy the gameplay. I did buy War of the Lions for the PSP but I never ended up playing it and it sits in my closet now. Fire Emblem Three Houses is probably the first tactics style game that I've actually finished.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
If you're looking for games similar to early FFs and LoD; have you tried Shadow Hearts? That one might be up your alley.
I don't know how I missed that one. The story at least looks like something I'd enjoy.
And "early FFs?" You're making me feel old because I'm older than that franchise. It's "just" Final Fantasy. :p

Flame

Beware
I don't know how I missed that one. The story at least looks like something I'd enjoy.
And "early FFs?" You're making me feel old because I'm older than that franchise. It's "just" Final Fantasy. :p

Early FFs for me is anything Pre-12 ;) I love turn-based combat over what the newer ones have been.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Early FFs for me is anything Pre-12 ;) I love turn-based combat over what the newer ones have been.
I actually do enjoy the active-based RPGs, and Star Ocean: The Second Story was my introduction to that style. I fell in love with it and wanted more. But when 12 came out, that system just isn't Final Fantasy (nor is a number of other things). And then there was whatever one it was, with Lighting I think her name was, and I don't even know what to call that but it most definitely was not an RPG, at all, in any way, shape, or form. That one was just a bad game and an embarrassment to the series. I haven't played any of them since.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
I actually do enjoy the active-based RPGs, and Star Ocean: The Second Story was my introduction to that style. I fell in love with it and wanted more. But when 12 came out, that system just isn't Final Fantasy (nor is a number of other things). And then there was whatever one it was, with Lighting I think her name was, and I don't even know what to call that but it most definitely was not an RPG, at all, in any way, shape, or form. That one was just a bad game and an embarrassment to the series. I haven't played any of them since.
I stopped playing Final Fantasy once they turned Luna into Britney Spears.

It's a shame because up to that point, Final Fantasy was an absolute masterpiece rivaling even the best novels.

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member

It's a shame because up to that point, Final Fantasy was an absolute masterpiece rivaling even the best novels.

I kind of stopped playing when Square Enix started turning out $20 iOS games of a questionable quality.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber

Pretty much my thoughts. The final hooray of the creative team that made final fantasy intro the legend it is, and they blew it by making their first sequal about a Britney Spears teenaged ditzy bimbo even though she just went through and experience that would have maid her mentality fast beyond her years, and they put her in a crap combat system, in a crap game, in a defaced world.

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
Pretty much my thoughts. The final hooray of the creative team that made final fantasy intro the legend it is, and they blew it by making their first sequal about a Britney Spears teenaged ditzy bimbo even though she just went through and experience that would have maid her mentality fast beyond her years, and they put her in a crap combat system, in a crap game, in a defaced world.

Final Fantasy X2? It was a mediocre 6/10 game mostly, but the dress-sphere combat system was fantastic.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Final Fantasy X2? It was a mediocre 6/10 game mostly, but the dress-sphere combat system was fantastic.
I've just never seen the appeal of "Pop Star/Fashion Model Dress Up." And not just that, it was extremely and totally unbelievable for the character. I'd see her running an orphanage for the orphans made by the Sin Wars before what they did to her.

MikeDwight

What about my own Civ V Mods? Well I could play them. Hey they're fun to play.

Civ V's only a measly 1000 hours next to 1500 hours Crusader Kings 2 of course.

5 Croatian husbands. That's how we do it my Queen!

NatalijaPortrait.gif.c3db5c302a3231dca5c252e2b9585235.gif

A0A9566F534EF5B4BFF25A53D5789D514369B8C3

Last edited:

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I don't see it that way. I went through some horrible things in life, but I'd rather have fun than try to comfort others.

I understand and respect that a lot of people have say, been victims of abuse, then want to help others that have been abused, for example. Good for them. But it doesn't mesh well with my personal goals for myself. I'm sure such people do a lot of fantastic things for the communities they help, but if I'm treated myself, I want it to be by someone who grew up in a stable family and who didn't nearly commit suicide two years ago or commit a petty crime 6 years ago, for example.

Because of all this, I may relate to Yuna.

The whole mindset of "I've been through a lot of trials, now might as well enjoy what's left of my life and make peace."

I have been helped by some people along the way in my own life that went through much of the same as me. They helped me, but I've found stability and track records works better for me than people having similar past experience. I don't try to help others too much because I think a few people can do it better.

So yeah, I'm just here to make sense of computers and their circuits, find a few good drinks, and make some people laugh.
I'm talking about what's believable, not anecdotal this-and-that. Yuna was basically a very highly devoted religious person respected throughout the community. It has nothing to do with what I've been through. It's an understanding that it's just not at all likely that the Yuna of X could ever turn into the Yuna of X-2. She was a pilgrim on a sacred quest, not a product of dumbed down mass production and consumption. Her very character and behavior also became more childish. Again, that's just not believable for someone with her experiences and past to regress in such a way.

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
I'm talking about what's believable, not anecdotal this-and-that. Yuna was basically a very highly devoted religious person respected throughout the community. It has nothing to do with what I've been through. It's an understanding that it's just not at all likely that the Yuna of X could ever turn into the Yuna of X-2. She was a pilgrim on a sacred quest, not a product of dumbed down mass production and consumption. Her very character and behavior also became more childish. Again, that's just not believable for someone with her experiences and past to regress in such a way.

I was just saying that the world isn't so black and white. I've known strong Christians turn stern atheist over the course of 1, 2, 10, 20, years, depending on who we're talking about.

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
Of course, it's all just silly video game characters, but I take much greater issue with the multiple Links/Zeldas stretched across the Legend of Zelda universe/universes.

MikeDwight

oh oh oh , I just caught up with your conversation! Got it. Well I never understood any of the characters really. Unless... I'm really just a dream of yours.?