• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What are you celebrating?

Deidre

If anything. I'm curious to know what you celebrate in terms of the holiday season. I'm celebrating Christmas, and probably will go to a non-denominational church service on Christmas Eve. Then, gift giving and mayhem will begin on Christmas day.

When I was an atheist, I still did the gift giving thing. And the mayhem thing.

What is your faith, and how do you celebrate it? If you're an atheist, do you partake in any celebrations within your family?

:sunflower:

Woberts

The Perfumed Seneschal
I celebrate Christmas, mainly because it has turned into a largely secular holiday. Of course, the consumerism clashes with my political ideology, but the revolution can wait. ;)
As for celebrations with family, I don't have any family to celebrate with. At least, family that isn't around the world. :)

Jumi

Well we have Christmas party with gifts, sometimes two or three times a year. In my language it's actually Yule since the older name of the celebration stuck, but it rarely bothers Christians that it's not called "Christ" something since it's been like that for hundreds of years. I highly dislike the gift part. It's more of a fun and games type of thing for me, where people have the day off.

Deidre

I celebrate Christmas, mainly because it has turned into a largely secular holiday. Of course, the consumerism clashes with my political ideology, but the revolution can wait. ;)
As for celebrations with family, I don't have any family to celebrate with. At least, family that isn't around the world. :)
Agree about the consumerism. It's out of hand. Hope you enjoy the season :)
Well we have Christmas party with gifts, sometimes two or three times a year. In my language it's actually Yule since the older name of the celebration stuck, but it rarely bothers Christians that it's not called "Christ" something since it's been like that for hundreds of years. I highly dislike the gift part. It's more of a fun and games type of thing for me, where people have the day off.

I love the gift giving. :D I like giving more than receiving, although, I won't turn away an amazing gift. lol

Sounds like you have a lovely time planned.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
I personally do not celebrate any holidays, but because my Fianceè want to celebrate Christmas i attend the dinner and give her a gift or two.
I am a Buddhist but i dont celebrate any of the days that other buddhists celebrate.

Altfish

Veteran Member
In modern times Christmas has as much to do with religion as Bonfire Night (in UK) has to do with overthrowing Parliament.

All non-believers that I know (i.e. most of my colleagues and friends) fully embrace Xmas; we party, buy and receive presents, have family meals, eat and drink too much, exchange cards.

Dekrikos Augustine

Life Person Thing
I don't care for any holiday's at all, including birthdays. Just not my thing. I give gifts to loved ones when I find something I think they'll really like, no need for a special day. :)

There's no spiritual or religious meaning behind my unwillingness to participate, just personal preference.

Deidre

I personally do not celebrate any holidays, but because my Fianceè want to celebrate Christmas i attend the dinner and give her a gift or two.
I am a Buddhist but i dont celebrate any of the days that other buddhists celebrate.
That’s nice that you join in your fiancées festivities. I’ve explored Buddhism. How long have you been following?

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
If anything. I'm curious to know what you celebrate in terms of the holiday season. I'm celebrating Christmas, and probably will go to a non-denominational church service on Christmas Eve. Then, gift giving and mayhem will begin on Christmas day.

What is your faith, and how do you celebrate it? If you're an atheist, do you partake in any celebrations within your family?

There are 3 major holidays this time of year.....
Festivus (the holiday for the rest of us)
Christmas
New Year's Eve

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Tiruvembavai last day this Wednesday, Thai Pongal and Thai Pusam in January, and Maha Sivaratri in February.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
I generally don't observe non-Jewish holidays.
So I'll probably be at work.
At one company I worked at, all the techs took turns being on call and had to stay on call over holidays. Our one Jewish tech agreed to be on call over Christmas on the condition that he didn't have to be on call for any of the summer long weekends. Seemed like a win-win for all concerned.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member

I'll be celebrating a secularized Christmas. Yes - I call it Christmas.

I won't be going to church, but I will be visiting with family and friends.

Mindmaster

Premium Member

Celebrating how much money I save evading Christmas entirely, lol.

Sometimes I make a fancy dinner because I have time, not that it has anything to do with the holiday. After that, I probably will spend the rest of the day sipping whisky and evading all of the terrible, campy, and boring Christmas TV/music.

If I can evade family, so much the better. But, generally, not lucky in that regard. :D

Flankerl

At one company I worked at, all the techs took turns being on call and had to stay on call over holidays. Our one Jewish tech agreed to be on call over Christmas on the condition that he didn't have to be on call for any of the summer long weekends. Seemed like a win-win for all concerned.

Well I have to work on certain days when everyone else has off because I partly use my vacation days for the Jewish holidays.

On the plus side there are lot's of % to be earned on national holidays.

Deidre

Celebrating how much money I save evading Christmas entirely, lol.

Sometimes I make a fancy dinner because I have time, not that it has anything to do with the holiday. After that, I probably will spend the rest of the day sipping whisky and evading all of the terrible, campy, and boring Christmas TV/music.

If I can evade family, so much the better. But, generally, not lucky in that regard. :D

You're such a positive one, my dear friend. :D
I need to ask this same question on OS. Just to see if they conduct any rituals.

Whisky has always been too strong for me. Brandy however, I would join you then and cheers!