• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What are White Folks Doing Wrong?

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
Of course, if it's called "white privilege" it means every single white person.

...But yet, it's politically incorrect to say Muslims are terrorists, because people say "not all Muslims are terrorists"

Do you see the double standard here?

As you're presenting things? Sure.
But I don't really care what SOME say in regards Muslims being terrorists, or white privilege meaning all whites have a cushy ride.

What I actually care about is developing my world view, and my understanding.

In some countries (with both yours and mine being examples) being a white man provides a smoother path on which to travel than being a black woman, on average. That would be my assertion.

A white man's path can still be crappy. The simplest example of this is that poorer socio-economic groups have hurdles before them which rich ones don't.

So on an individual basis, there is no guarantee a white person has an easier road than a black person.

Equally, no matter how much smoother the road, they're not without potholes (to stretch the analogy). And people's ability to deal with these is varied. I've seen people endure what I couldn't, seen others derailed by minor setbacks.

As for Muslims...anyone who says 'Muslims are terrorists' is an idiot. There are a billion Muslims.

I'm not saying it doesn't happen...idiots abound...but both of these issues require thought and consideration. Reduced to slogans they are more divisive than informative.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
spent a large portion of my development in the housing projects of a midsized city

it sucked

and you would think......common ground
close neighborhood environment

better shoulder to shoulder?

not

and the skin color did not matter

really

some of the WORST street fights I lost
I got my *** kicked by my fellow white man

the blacks?
nah
it's like they pretend

the white guys?.....I had to go to the hospital
just to see IF I could heal from it

damn near lost an eye on one occasion

Saint Frankenstein

Gone
Premium Member
Assuming White Privilege is a problem.
How should White folks behave differently?
Stop being so sheltered and reach out to different people. That's mostly for upper class whites who I've noticed tend to be pretty insular and in homogenized environments. They're typically very oblivious to the struggles working class and poor people go through, as well as entitled and arrogant, even towards lower class whites.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
Stop being so sheltered and reach out to different people. That's mostly for upper class whites who I've noticed tend to be pretty insular and in homogenized environments. They're typically very oblivious to the struggles working class and poor people go through, as well as entitled and arrogant, even towards lower class whites.

Some truth to this in what I've seen here too.
More socio-economic than racial, but certain races can have assumed socio-economic statuses, too.

Audie

Veteran Member
Flip it to test it (bias).

Disadvantaged groups grew up with the generations that achieved legal protections through group action. Maybe they are not fully recognizing that their suffering now is becoming more and more the suffering experienced across race. The fight against racism is not over but may now need to swing more in the direction of general forms of psychological bias.

There is a whole lot more to what "they"
are doing wrong (could be doing differently,
to their advantage" than that.

Audie

Veteran Member
:shrug::D

Just thought it weird people thinking they could assess me by looking at me.

Also wonder how expectation affect behavior. People saying they could trust me and me wanting to live up to that expectation.

I find one can often manipulate others by putting such expectations out there. Trust, reliability, decency. Initially people maybe a bit wary or suspicious of your "motives" I guess. However if you assume an expectation of decency they respond in kind.

So maybe more than just looks but how I approach people as well.

There is a great deal about a person that can be
accurately assessed at a glance.

Audie

Veteran Member
You're obviously entitled to your opinion. But personally I don't believe I have anything to feel guilty about.
I do, however, realise that over the course of history, different groups have been advantaged in different situations. In some cases this has been overt, and in some cases it's a mere by-product of circumstance.
In a sense, it's human nature. But I also think we can do better.

Mind you, I don't think I've ever uttered the words 'white privilege' IRL. Still, conceptually there will always be advantaged people in a society. And I'm a firm advocate of social mobility as a means of keeping a society healthy. Just as I've learned to be more aware of gender biases, so too do I try to be more aware of racial bias.

What I do with that awareness I then need to own. My actions....theoretically...could end up racist. But the awareness of racial bias around me is not racist at all.

WHAT!!!! You are not a member of the WG-SIC???

You are guilty of that much, already. Feel the burn.

sealchan

There is a whole lot more to what "they"
are doing wrong (could be doing differently,
to their advantage" than that.

*sigh* Society is a room full of adult children without any real adult to watch over us and ensure that we are playing nice.