• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What are White Folks Doing Wrong?

Cooky

Veteran Member
Singling out is not equivalent to bias. That is like saying talking about the color green is to evince a bias about green.

Saying green is typically or inherently better or worse is bias.

Yes it is when you attach a negative quality to that color -such as "favoritism", and then define favoritism by that color when other colors are just as guilty.

IOW, don't call it "white privilege"... Call it "majority privilege"... Or else it's racist.

Cooky

Veteran Member
Have you ever heard the term "white ghosts" referring to white people?

Weird

tenor-4.gif

sealchan

Yes it is when you attack a negative quality to that color -such as "favoritism", and then define favoritism by that color when other colors are just as guilty.

Green is more planty... is that bias?

White people have a higher rate of employment and a lower rate of incarceration...is that bias if it is statistically true?

Cooky

Veteran Member
Green is more planty... is that bias?

White people have a higher rate of employment and a lower rate of incarceration...is that bias if it is statistically true?

You're drifting... Just tell me how much more prevalent white privilege is in America than Chinese privilege is in China.

...Are we so much worse here in the States that the term needs to be based on the caucasian skin tone?

Why do you resist calling it "majority privilege"? Being a global phenomenon afterall...

dianaiad

‘The Man of the Future will be a Mongrel’ this is the plan.

Oh, get over it, EVERYBODY.

The human race is more homogenous, as a species, than about any other species there is. there is more genetic diversity among our nearest 'cousins,' the apes, than there is among homo sapiens. There is no such thing as a 'mongrel' human. We are all just...human.

I wrote a rant about 'white privilege," pretty much detailing just how little of that I, about as 'white' as someone can get (pure celt a long way back) I wrote about all the times I lost out on scholarships, jobs and even loans because I was white and the "person of color' got the goodies BECAUSE OF SKIN COLOR, even though I was better qualified; higher GPA, more experience, etc. I asked 'where IS that white privilege?" Because I haven't seen any in my own life. EVERY single time it 'mattered,' that is, where race or skin color was a factor in getting something, I lost.

I deleted that post because I realized that even though I am the furthest thing from 'racist' or 'white supremacist," my views would get me labeled as such....and I would be punished for it. Harassed, insulted...you name it, it will happen. SOMEONE on here would have (and will) call me a racist or a white supremacist, because I will not 'admit' to having had any 'white privilege' to help me through life. Quite the opposite. In fact, whenever there was a choice to be made that included skin color, I was the one sent to the back of the bus....ALL my life, and I'm 70..

When is enough enough?

I don't want to stand in front of anybody, nor yet behind them. Stand beside me, would you? My kids will marry your kids (as I married a 'person of color" because his genes didn't matter, HE did). I'll bake your cakes, I'll photograph and dance at your weddings, as I hope that you will at mine.....

But I'm afraid that many "People of color" don't want to stand beside me. They want to punish and get even.

And all that will do is perpetuate the problem. You KNOW that discrimination is a bad thing...no matter who the target is.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
Assuming White Privilege is a problem.
How should White folks behave differently?
wag our heads back and forth and talk funny?

I like black people
I do
really

but now and then I have to look around that 'front'
the need to 'represent'

I don't go about......I'm white....so kiss my ***

let's just be calm

leov

Oh, get over it, EVERYBODY.

The human race is more homogenous, as a species, than about any other species there is. there is more genetic diversity among our nearest 'cousins,' the apes, than there is among homo sapiens. There is no such thing as a 'mongrel' human. We are all just...human.

I wrote a rant about 'white privilege," pretty much detailing just how little of that I, about as 'white' as someone can get (pure celt a long way back) I wrote about all the times I lost out on scholarships, jobs and even loans because I was white and the "person of color' got the goodies BECAUSE OF SKIN COLOR, even though I was better qualified; higher GPA, more experience, etc. I asked 'where IS that white privilege?" Because I haven't seen any in my own life. EVERY single time it 'mattered,' that is, where race or skin color was a factor in getting something, I lost.

I deleted that post because I realized that even though I am the furthest thing from 'racist' or 'white supremacist," my views would get me labeled as such....and I would be punished for it. Harassed, insulted...you name it, it will happen. SOMEONE on here would have (and will) call me a racist or a white supremacist, because I will not 'admit' to having had any 'white privilege' to help me through life. Quite the opposite. In fact, whenever there was a choice to be made that included skin color, I was the one sent to the back of the bus....ALL my life, and I'm 70..

When is enough enough?

I don't want to stand in front of anybody, nor yet behind them. Stand beside me, would you? My kids will marry your kids (as I married a 'person of color" because his genes didn't matter, HE did). I'll bake your cakes, I'll photograph and dance at your weddings, as I hope that you will at mine.....

But I'm afraid that many "People of color" don't want to stand beside me. They want to punish and get even.

And all that will do is perpetuate the problem. You KNOW that discrimination is a bad thing...no matter who the target is.
i suspect it was in German originally 'mischling' - hybrid.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
No, my reading comprehension is quite fine, thank you. You said: "How is acknowledging the pervasiveness of white privilege different than racism?" To ask how one thing compares to another implies some sort of equivalence. You asked us to compare "acknowledgment of white privilege" and "racism." You asked us to compare "support for criminal justice reform efforts," and "racism." These are no more comparable, one to the other, than asking us to compare a rose to a sequoia. (Unless, of course, you don't care how nonsensical an answer you're likely to get.)

I think you're not seeing how his final sentence ties his post together.
He was indicating that comparison of racism and those other factors is sophomoric.

Sorry, @Jayhawker Soule , I realise you don't need me explaining anything for you, but I was a little dismayed to see your point mistaken by someone who is trying to honestly contribute to the discussion.

Assuming White Privilege is a problem.
How should White folks behave differently?

While discrimination obviously still exists, to some extent, and a concept like WP is not entirely baseless, it likely has a net negative effect on reducing discrimination.

Modern anti-racism tends to focus on making people hyper-aware of race in order to navigate a precarious balancing act in order to stay on the right side of whatever shifting sands are fashionable in identity politics at that precise moment.

White people (and all other demographics) who want to contribute positively:

A) don't be racist, and oppose overt racism
B) understand and be more sensitive regarding cultural differences
C) within these limits, aim to treat people as equals not as "member of demographic X"
D) don't treat anti-racism as a way to generate social capital via virtue signalling (white liberals are far more 'woke' than any other demographic which is quite telling)

This will take time and happen slowly, as it has been for decades as race has become less of a factor. Today, people want to make it more of a factor, and there are numerous scientific studies that show (completely unsurprisingly) that the more people focus on race as a primary marker of identity, the more people discriminate.

If much remaining discrimination is a result of implicit bias, identity politics is exactly the wrong way to go about it. Discrimination reduces when people perceive they belong to the same group (Americans, Christians, etc) and increases when you tell people "we are not the same".

Whites aren't the leading demographic on that front, does this mean there is anti-white bias at play compared to Asians? If you segment demographics further, you will find black demographics (Nigerians for example) that outperform white, and white demographics that outperform other whites (Russian aver Irish for example).

The logic A and B are not equal, therefore racism/privilege is highly flawed yet this is the mindset that "white privilege" creates.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
My take is that 'bad' people are unlikely to change. But ignorant people certainly can and do.
So educating oneself on the topic is an important step.
I tend to think the premise behind "white privilege" is to foster guilt on people who have nothing to feel guilty about. Not to mention, it's essentially using racism to fight racism.

sealchan

You're drifting... Just tell me how much more prevalent white privilege is in America than Chinese privilege is in China.

...Are we so much worse here in the States that the term needs to be based on the caucasian skin tone?

Why do you resist calling it "majority privilege"? Being a global phenomenon afterall...

Because "white privilege" is precisely meant to indicate "dominant group in US". By saying "white" we simply cut to the chase.

Now I agree that the scholars could very well be changing their language to be more abstract, but I am not sure it would serve the purpose of not triggering cries of foul play.

If you go back to the numbers and say 'group privilege' then it, perhaps becomes clear that in the US we are talking about white males and probably Christian. My hope is that statistics and numbers are a focus in these scholarly assertions.

Audie

Veteran Member
I tend to think the premise behind "white privilege" is to foster guilt on people who have nothing to feel guilty about. Not to mention, it's essentially using racism to fight racism.

Only if it is the white saying it about himself, for lo, the
dark is incapable of racism. :D

sealchan

While discrimination obviously still exists, to some extent, and a concept like WP is not entirely baseless, it likely has a net negative effect on reducing discrimination.

Modern anti-racism tends to focus on making people hyper-aware of race in order to navigate a precarious balancing act in order to stay on the right side of whatever shifting sands are fashionable in identity politics at that precise moment.

White people (and all other demographics) who want to contribute positively:

A) don't be racist, and oppose overt racism
B) understand and be more sensitive regarding cultural differences
C) within these limits, aim to treat people as equals not as "member of demographic X"
D) don't treat anti-racism as a way to generate social capital via virtue signalling (white liberals are far more 'woke' than any other demographic which is quite telling)

This will take time and happen slowly, as it has been for decades as race has become less of a factor. Today, people want to make it more of a factor, and there are numerous scientific studies that show (completely unsurprisingly) that the more people focus on race as a primary marker of identity, the more people discriminate.

If much remaining discrimination is a result of implicit bias, identity politics is exactly the wrong way to go about it. Discrimination reduces when people perceive they belong to the same group (Americans, Christians, etc) and increases when you tell people "we are not the same".

Whites aren't the leading demographic on that front, does this mean there is anti-white bias at play compared to Asians? If you segment demographics further, you will find black demographics (Nigerians for example) that outperform white, and white demographics that outperform other whites (Russian aver Irish for example).

The logic A and B are not equal, therefore racism/privilege is highly flawed yet this is the mindset that "white privilege" creates.

I agree to all of this.