• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What Are the Top Three Craziest Criticisms Of Religion?

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
What are the top three craziest, most misguided criticisms of religion that you routinely hear from the anti-religion crowd?

Why are they crazy criticisms?

evearael

1) Just because an individual believes x, y or z, doesn't mean that is what other members of their faith believe.
Take the time to learn about what you are criticizing. This actually covers the bulk of crazy arguments based on overly broad assumptions or plainly false information, which I find terribly irritating.

Scuba Pete

Le plongeur avec attitude...
Just because they can't see him, many assume God is invisible or non-existant.

As evearael pointed out, there are a LOT of prejudiced statements about Christians. In fact, there is an outright antagonism constantly displayed by a few.

Then there is the constant baseless condescension. No, believing in Christianity is not the same as believing in invisible pink unicorns.

For the record: Evolution is evidence for God, and not the opposite.

Faint

I can't really think of any, although I know I've heard some. Usually these would be criticisms from people who have not taken enough time to understand/research the religion. Or sometimes they are just mimicries of other peoples (valid) criticisms, but stated in a way that show the criticizer doesn't really understand the depth of what s/he is talking about. And to me it's crazy to argue something when you don't understand your own side.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Revasser said:
My favourite is "Religion is responsible for everything wrong with the world and without religion the world would be peachy keen."

I chortle every time I hear/read it.

I get a kick out of that one too! Frubals!

CaptainXeroid

Following Christ
  • All Christians hate homosexuals. :banghead3: I seem to spend more time refuting this one than any other.
  • Disciples of Christ...that's not a real denomination, is it?:thud:
  • I don't believe in God anymore because He doesn't stop bad things from happen in the world.:rolleyes:

I'm sure there are some in the anti-religion crowd who make these statement and countless more out of ignorance, a sheer lock of knowledge, but there are a LOT more who, like NetDoc said, are extremely condescending and downright hateful to those who have a faith. When I first started posting here, it really used to get under my skin, but as I came to understand the sources of their bitterness, I was able to take them with a grain of salt.

BrandonE

King of Parentheses
CaptainXeroid said:
  • All Christians hate homosexuals. :banghead3: I seem to spend more time refuting this one than any other.
  • Disciples of Christ...that's not a real denomination, is it?:thud:
  • I don't believe in God anymore because He doesn't stop bad things from happen in the world.:rolleyes:
I'm sure there are some in the anti-religion crowd who make these statement and countless more out of ignorance, a sheer lock of knowledge, but there are a LOT more who, like NetDoc said, are extremely condescending and downright hateful to those who have a faith. When I first started posting here, it really used to get under my skin, but as I came to understand the sources of their bitterness, I was able to take them with a grain of salt.
Not to derail the thread too much, but I think this would be diminished if there were a visible spokesman on the national stage to counter the mouthpieces that cause this perception of Christians to be so widespread.

Scuba Pete

Le plongeur avec attitude...
I am surprised they haven't burned us at the stake for all of our hatefulness and intolerance. :D

Bishka

Veteran Member
For me personally, I get criticized

Because I don't know everything about my religion down to the tiniest detail
I'm crazy because I believe in some 'outlandish' things
If I don't have all the answers about all their quesitons, then God must not exist. (Who said we had to have all the answers anyways?)

Feathers in Hair

World's Tallest Hobbit
I could really only think of two that wouldn't take forever to refute.

Religion is for those who aren't ready to understand the world, who are afraid of it, who need some kind of reason as to why things are the way they are.

My religion helps me to understand the world, to face it perhaps even more harshly than I would if I didn't have a faith, and it's encouraged me to seek out if there is a reason for things being the way things are.

Religious people are bigots.

Which, of course, is a generalization that lends itself to thinking that the other person might be a bit blind to their own intolerance.

BrandonE

King of Parentheses
CaptainXeroid said:
There are sources to counter the mouthpieces, but we see who gets all the publicity.
I hadn't looked at it that way. Another good point. Geez, now you guys are going to make me re-evaluate the whole "bias in the media" thing, aren't you...

Revasser

Terrible Dancer
FeathersinHair said:

Religion is for those who aren't ready to understand the world, who are afraid of it, who need some kind of reason as to why things are the way they are.

Yeah, I just love that one.

"Religion is just a crutch for people who are weak-minded and frightened of big, mean old reality."

I'm sure that for some this may well be true. But by no means does it apply to everyone religious person. To me, it's as ridiculous as saying "Atheism is for those who are just frightened of the idea of God."

And I'm sure my atheist friends at RF would be able to testify as to how ridiculous that last statement is.