• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What are the Rules of Christianity?

The Reverend Bob

Fart Machine and Beastmaster
All sorts of religions have these elaborate sets of rules in place about how they are supposed to go about life. There are over 600 in Judaism and the Muslims have give or take 1,000's depending on who you ask and the Buddhist have good set of rules too, I haven't really looked into Hinduism so I will give no opinion if they have any rules but I do know that the Bahai's have quite a set of rules. So Christians could you help us all out and tell what rules you have?

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
I suppose it can vary from local to local but basically it is‘ You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, and with all your mind. And the second is... You shall love your neighbor as yourself.’

The Reverend Bob

I suppose it can vary from local to local but basically it is‘ You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, and with all your mind. And the second is... You shall love your neighbor as yourself.’
I keep telling people this but they say there must be more. It befuddles them.

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
All sorts of religions have these elaborate sets of rules in place about how they are supposed to go about life. There are over 600 in Judaism
Just to keep things in perspective... here's something from the Chassidic philosophy:

"... The Torah and Commandments emanate from God, who is the absolute Unity. Love is attachment to God, and therefore, when a person properly observes even one commandment with love, then through this commandment they grasp part of the Unity. All of this Unity is then in their grasp, and it is as if they kept all the commandments since all of them comprise a single structure.

This is also to be found in the Zohar..."

Chassidic Masters, Rabbi Aryeh Kaplan, Page 25

This isn't intended to discourage observance, though. The idea is that once the person stops performing the Commandment, then they lose the connection. The idea is to go from one Commandment to the next, from strength to strength, continuously, if possible.

siti

I think it might be the far more complex and apparently unwritten rules about determining who is one's "neighbour" that you have to love "as yourself" and who is not one's neighbour whom one can happily blast to kingdom come with a Tomahawk missile (for example) that befuddles people.

The Reverend Bob

I think it might be the far more complex and apparently unwritten rules about determining who is one's "neighbour" that you have to love "as yourself" and who is not one's neighbour whom one can happily blast to kingdom come with a Tomahawk missile (for example) that befuddles people.
I have never seen any Quakers or Amish blow anyone to Kingdom Hall

Hockeycowboy

Witness for Jehovah
Premium Member
As Jesus said: first, to love God....that requires obedience to Him 1 John 5:3 (oops, did I say something wrong?).

Second, to love others. (Which, in doing so, you are also obeying God & Jesus.)

:):);)

siti

Correct! So maybe somewhere between those three you can find the real rules for Christianity (i.e. the two real rules you mentioned) being applied? But that's only about 8.5 million out of 2.2 billion - what rules are the other 99.6% following?

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
the 10 commandments are the "rules" for Christians

The Ten Commandments
  1. You shall have no other Gods but me.
  2. You shall not make for yourself any idol, nor bow down to it or worship it.
  3. You shall not misuse the name of the Lord your God.
  4. You shall remember and keep the Sabbath day holy.
  5. Respect your father and mother.
  6. You must not commit murder.
  7. You must not commit adultery.
  8. You must not steal.
  9. You must not give false evidence against your neighbour.
  10. You must not be envious of your neighbour's goods. You shall not be envious of his house nor his wife, nor anything that belongs to your neighbour.

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member

If that was an auto-correct...its hilarious!
happy0168.gif

Jehovah's Witnesses would never blow up anyone.....anywhere....
happy0170.gif

The Reverend Bob

The Ten Commandments
  8. You must not steal.
  10. You must not be envious of your neighbour's goods. You shall not be envious of his house nor his wife, nor anything that belongs to your neighbour.
Nope. To Christians they're more like guidelines. If you follow the two already mentioned you have fulfilled the Ten

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member

The Ten Commandments
  8. You must not steal.

Actually Jesus taught the principles of the 10 Commandments.....but said that all of the law and the prophets were summed up in just two......'whole-hearted love of God...and to love our neighbor as ourselves'. If Christians follow those they can't go wrong. :)

Hockeycowboy

Witness for Jehovah
Premium Member
This world and it's corruption makes it difficult... But that's sorta why JW's stick to themselves. It can rub off (1 Corinthians 15:33). I worked 10 years w/ a guy - my boss - who cussed everyday! And I mean extreme! It was a struggle for me, driving home I'd catch myself cussing at the crazy drivers!

In the end, before he left, we were pretty tight....he had toned down his behavior while we were working. We respected each other. It was a test for me, though.

Life's a test our entire adulthood!

The Reverend Bob

No it directly correlates in the case of Protestantism which evolved into many personalized versions of Christianity that have no common view of behavior and ethics.
Christians have always been individualistic, in some ways it is encouraged but it's also encouraged to be one body. That's why the Apostles wrote their Epistles, so Christians can know how to balance the two