• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What are the qualities of a Holy person , in your own words

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
IMHO, does not become a God but abandons duality, becomes one with the universe. Our books say 'Brahma veda, brahmaiva bhavati' (One who comes to know Brahman, verily becomes Brahman). Brahman is what constitutes all things in the universe.
I meant what you wrote.

Thanda

So through the lens of your individual philosophy, be it spiritual or even atheistic, tell me all the attributes that you think a 'Holy' person should have. How do they live, what is their personality, what is their behavior at all the times in their life. Also, please don't name an existing character from religious history as a direct reference, I want you formulate an ideal without that level of 'ease.' And if you would refrain from merely mentioning a holy figure from history, we might instead analyze what holiness is on a more particulate level, to see if there is a mechanical pattern to it.

For I think that we often relegate our holy figures to be ossified in considerable stratums of history, for to live and walk the earth in any current moment of reality often seems vilifying, does it not? Therefore to simply name an ancient saint is too easy, as time has washed his bones of the hairyness of reality. Who among the living is not free of public judgement, which celebrity, politician, or spiritual figure? Even the pope might occasionally bat an eye to jar his lookers.

And if possible, don't even bring your religion itself into aid with your description, as to try to get an even more objective sense of this. If you are an atheist, read 'holy' as 'ideal'

I will begin religiously by saying that I believe there is a voice which speaks to all of us that encourages us to be better people. Some call it the holy spirit, others the light of Christ, others name it conscience and others still call it intuition. There may be many other names beside these.

Whatever it is called it exists and is there to guide us. A holy man is one who listen faithfully and consistently to this voice.

I once met such a holy man. I spent everyday for six weeks with him. He always seemed to do the "right" thing. And he did it all the time under almost every circumstance. He could not be moved. In most cases he did not even hesitate.

Notwithstanding his "holiness" he was not judgemental. He had compassion for and could relate with those of us who had not reached his level. But himself he held to that high standard.

I spoke with a friend who also spent time around this man some years after. He also felt and saw what I did. He agreed that this was a most strange person we had ever met. He seemed to reside in a different, superior plane of existence.

He was not perfect, not quite. But he was the closest thing I ever saw to it.

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member
So through the lens of your individual philosophy, be it spiritual or even atheistic, tell me all the attributes that you think a 'Holy' person should have.

I can't really answer the question, because the word "holy" doesn't have any real meaning imo.
When I use the word, I'll use it in a symbolic / poetic kind of way. But it has no practical real-world meaning or application. It's at best a subjective opinion. Like when I say something, a song for example, is "legendary" or "epic".

If you are an atheist, read 'holy' as 'ideal'

Ow, okay.

I'll just list some attributes while noting that firstly, it's a bit circumstantial and secondly, this list by no means should be viewed as "complete".

An ideal person would be a person that is:
- intelligent
- trustworthy
- tolerant
- peaceful
- compassionate
- solidarity
- easy going (ie: can have a friendly chat with anyone)

I could also just say "moral", as imo that word kind of implies all of the above.

Aštra’el

Aštara, Blade of Aštoreth
I would say a holy person is someone who has established a significant relationship with God(s) and lives their life in absolute purpose of that relationship, allowing their God(s) to touch this world and it’s inhabitants through them.

There are also times where I might define a “holy” person as someone whose attributes could be described as “virtuous, pure, heavenly and without flaw”. But usually, when I think “holy”, it is not about light and goodness and perfection, but about living with purpose as an emissary for your God(s) and as a vanguard of their operations in this world.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
You see Sun Rise, we clearly demarcate between God and Brahman, though many Hindus will not accept the difference. But Brahman does not indicate a God-like entity in all cases.
That's where we differ. I draw no distinction between "God" and Brahman. To me the word "God" includes everything: the manifest and the unmanifest. The only "God-like entity" to me is the Avatar who manifests perfection in human form.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
That's where we differ. I draw no distinction between "God" and Brahman. To me the word "God" includes everything: the manifest and the unmanifest. The only "God-like entity" to me is the Avatar who manifests perfection in human form.
The word God comes with many connotations - creation, destruction, soul, birth, rebirth, death, heaven, hell, judgement, love, hate, sex, no sex, this sex, that sex, human, non-human, living, non-living.
Brahman has none of these (dualities).

But still, to each his own. :)

amorphous_constellation

I once met such a holy man. I spent everyday for six weeks with him. He always seemed to do the "right" thing. And he did it all the time under almost every circumstance. He could not be moved. In most cases he did not even hesitate.

That's interesting, but do you think you could ever get on each other's nerves. Like I mean, no one who spends a long, long amount time around the same people finds the experience to be completely seamless. If you had a difficult task you had to share with this person, might you idealize them less?

amorphous_constellation

I'll just list some attributes while noting that firstly, it's a bit circumstantial and secondly, this list by no means should be viewed as "complete".

An ideal person would be a person that is:
- intelligent
- trustworthy
- tolerant
- peaceful
- compassionate
- solidarity
- easy going (ie: can have a friendly chat with anyone)

And to your perception , would you consider this accumulation of traits in a person to be rare. Like out of a hundred people, how many have all of these

amorphous_constellation

To me the word "God" includes everything: the manifest and the unmanifest. The only "God-like entity" to me is the Avatar who manifests perfection in human form.

At the end of the day, god is just a word though isn't it. Are we even sure that 'god' wants to be called 'god,' or does he prefer a different name. The word 'god' is probably etymologically related to odin I'd imagine

PruePhillip

So through the lens of your individual philosophy, be it spiritual or even atheistic, tell me all the attributes that you think a 'Holy' person should have. How do they live, what is their personality, what is their behavior at all the times in their life. Also, please don't name an existing character from religious history as a direct reference, I want you formulate an ideal without that level of 'ease.' And if you would refrain from merely mentioning a holy figure from history, we might instead analyze what holiness is on a more particulate level, to see if there is a mechanical pattern to it.

For I think that we often relegate our holy figures to be ossified in considerable stratums of history, for to live and walk the earth in any current moment of reality often seems vilifying, does it not? Therefore to simply name an ancient saint is too easy, as time has washed his bones of the hairyness of reality. Who among the living is not free of public judgement, which celebrity, politician, or spiritual figure? Even the pope might occasionally bat an eye to jar his lookers.

And if possible, don't even bring your religion itself into aid with your description, as to try to get an even more objective sense of this. If you are an atheist, read 'holy' as 'ideal'

The bible has given us the definition of holiness.
It is to be like God, and the Example set before
us is the life and grace of Christ.
Any good work of our own is defined as "self
righteousness."

Thanda

That's interesting, but do you think you could ever get on each other's nerves. Like I mean, no one who spends a long, long amount time around the same people finds the experience to be completely seamless. If you had a difficult task you had to share with this person, might you idealize them less?

Well firstly we did have a task we were sharing together. The reason we lived together was because we were missionary companions. And yes he did get on my nerves at times. I don't know if I ever got on his since he seemed to be fazed by so little

Samantha Rinne

Resident Genderfluid Writer/Artist

My religion rejects the concept of "holy" books, "holy" places, and "holy" people.

I believe in Shinto mixed with Christianity and Taoism, so the idea that one thing or the other is holy, when all existence is part of the divine is absurd. I also strongly oppose the idea of a centralized leader like the Pope.

Watching people kill each other over a "holy" book is proof that it is not holy, and that they are fixated with the material world.

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
Lots of Pharisees and Atheists are like this.
This isn't what the bible sees as "holiness"

You obviously ignored the thread title seeking 'The qualities of an Holy person in our own words'.

And I don't expect that you ever really got to know a Pharisee personally in your whole life, but if you did, please do describe a Pharisee for us. Jesus had no real issues with Pharisees, only the Levite ones who were also Temple Priests.

And Atheists can be Holy, Prue, just as religious people can be disgustingly greedy, wicked and criminal.

OK?

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
Lots of Pharisees and Atheists are like this.
This isn't what the bible sees as "holiness"

I also see 'Holiness' in people who give freely, of their time, themselves and their feelings.

For instance, members have freely given you 374 ratings and 'like' responses to your posts since you joined. Sadly I notice that you have only given five of these in your whole time here.

You see? Maybe a Pharisee might have given more than you, possibly?

PruePhillip

You obviously ignored the thread title seeking 'The qualities of an Holy person in our own words'.

And I don't expect that you ever really got to know a Pharisee personally in your whole life, but if you did, please do describe a Pharisee for us. Jesus had no real issues with Pharisees, only the Levite ones who were also Temple Priests.

And Atheists can be Holy, Prue, just as religious people can be disgustingly greedy, wicked and criminal.

OK?

Holiness is separate to goodness.
Holiness is like another quality altogether.
You can see, in some of the greatest monsters in history, aspects of goodness.
Hitler for instance loved children, animals, he initiated the concept of national
parks and public highways, wanted there to be a people's car, passionate about
his country etc.. This extreme example is not isolated - most people who would
never see themselves as virtuous have sides of their character that truly shine.

In the bible holiness is what is given to you. You cannot imitate it.
The bible says that virtues you are born with do not endear you to God because
these characters have been given to you by God. Holiness is what comes through
love of God, obedience, self surrender. It yields the "peaceable fruit", an other-
worldness, serenity, grace, majesty etc..

PruePhillip

I also see 'Holiness' in people who give freely, of their time, themselves and their feelings.

For instance, members have freely given you 374 ratings and 'like' responses to your posts since you joined. Sadly I notice that you have only given five of these in your whole time here.

You see? Maybe a Pharisee might have given more than you, possibly?

And yes, you are right - need to hit that Like button more!!!