• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What Are the Most Pressing Problems Facing Mystics?

Kueid

Avant-garde
holy shet! this thread made me better already.. thank god I came in here! might as well add what I think of the most pressing or serious problems facing mystics as a group.. without the "cool" attitude..

So, I would say.. destiny.

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Not clear what you mean by destiny, and how that would be a pressing or serious problem?

Kueid

Avant-garde
Not clear what you mean by destiny, and how that would be a pressing or serious problem?
What is a problem? I assumed we are using the "something that prevent/hinder an accomplishment" or THE accomplishment, if we are taking the mystic stance. Knowing now how I defined "problem" can you see the how?

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
What is a problem? I assumed we are using the "something that prevent/hinder an accomplishment" or THE accomplishment, if we are taking the mystic stance. Knowing now how I defined "problem" can you see the how?
The question was more what you mean by destiny? Secondly how that understanding of that word applies to being a hindrance or obstacle? Are you thinking the future is set from outside ourselves? Do you see destiny as some pre-determined fate from outside ourselves and we are swimming upstream against it in a act of futility like Sisyphus and the stone?

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
If one is fixated on the idea of destiny, I can certainly see how that might become problematic.

I will take your signature into consideration here...
English is not my first language. Please be kind.
Duly noted... :D:D:D

Kueid

Avant-garde
The question was more what you mean by destiny? Secondly how that understanding of that word applies to being a hindrance or obstacle? Are you thinking the future is set from outside ourselves? Do you see destiny as some pre-determined fate from outside ourselves and we are swimming upstream against it in a act of futility like Sisyphus and the stone?
Yeah. You are right in that conclusion. Destiny was used as a set future and yes it would be like sisyphus and the stone level of problem. I see that you understand how it would be a problem now. The fact that "destiny as a set future may possibly be a lie" wasn't taken in consideration.

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Yes, I would very much agree with this. This is why in no small way do I find certain religious teachings that we are born bad and our inherent nature is bad, save for some external being who has mercy upon us poor sinners to be very much fatalistic. We can never be more than what we believe is the limits of our being. That's a "destiny" set in stone that they "believe" and hence never see beyond and realize who they are in reality. It puts an iron gate at the door barring mystical realization. It's an external "rule" you can't break, in their minds. This is not to say that Christian mystics don't realize this, but that they usually keep their quite about it lest they be burned at the stake. :)

PearlSeeker

The most pressing problems mystics in general?
Being misunderstood, becoming trapped in the desire for more experiences, becoming proud of one's experiences...off the top of my head.

Misunderstanding is a given, since we are talking about something that is only understood by experience.
I know that being trapped in the desire for mystical experiences can be an issue from personal experience - I went through a period of that during my early years on the road of the mystic, and I knew others who did as well.
Becoming proud can be an issue sometimes. People can develop delusions of grandeur, coming to believe they are receiving special (possibly exclusive) knowledge via their experiences. This sort of thing is rampant in apostolic Christianity. I have (unfortunately) known one such individual personally...It was very hard to deal with, and incidentally, is the sort of thing that leads to even more misunderstands or even persecution.
I agree with all. I would also add unpreparedness, no teacher/guide, confusion, being unable to understand your own experience, not being able to endure without loosing sanity and discrimination...

P. S.: I'm new here so I'm going through some older threads.