• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What Are The Most Atheist Countries?

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
I'm not going to watch and thus not comment on that video. I prefer my information in text/graphics form where I can see things quickly not have the information doled out slowly in a multi-minute video. I did violate my own principles in the prior thread, but that was my limit.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
I do sometimes find 'most atheist' a pretty useless measure, although I too shy away from video.
(Sneaky posting at work!)

If a country decides everyone is an atheist it doesn't mean they really are.
Just as I suspect there are many more atheists than reported in (say) Afghanistan.

HonestJoe

As you might expect, the video doesn’t really talk about the “most atheist countries”, opening with an admission that such a phrase is too simplistic and singular for what is really a more complex and diverse concept. Sadly that masks what is actually an interesting and important discussion, recognising all the different cultures, beliefs and philosophies all around the world and some of the historic and cultural reasons behind their creation, development and modern status.

If more people recognised that the all the “atheist vs theist” or “my religion vs your religion” conflicts are so ignorantly simplistic and flawed, I think we’d all be much better off. I think it’s sadly telling that the creators of the video didn’t think a title along those lines would actually sell.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I'm not going to watch and thus not comment on that video. I prefer my information in text/graphics form where I can see things quickly not have the information doled out slowly in a multi-minute video. I did violate my own principles in the prior thread, but that was my limit.
Not that the bear would do it, but we so often see a requirement that in order
to disagree with the OP, one must watch this tedious video or read that
long screed. Of course, posters who agree with the OP aren't challenged.
So I agree....tis best when the OP states their case in their own words.

Btw, Revoltistan is the most atheistic of all countries.
So guard your puppies when visiting.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
It is indeed tricky to decide which places should be considered most atheistic.

Hans Island, for instance, is probably entirely atheistic except perhaps when some Canadian or Dane officer happens to be there to drop a flag.

But it seems to me that meaningful atheism is probably to be found in places where theism is raised to strong significance. Which is to say, Muslim and Christian cultures mainly. One could even argue that Christianity created atheism as a meaningful stance.