• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What are the gods of paganism?

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
I believe in spirits. (Spirits are souls of the deceassed) I am a animist as well. I dont know if there is a difference between spirits and gods

What are the gods (not god) of paganism?
What are the nature of these gods?
What are the charateristics of gods?

Also, same question but replace paganism with polytheist.

Mind you. I know your "god" can be the universe etc. Im referring to god as deities only. Im not going to define gods. Defeats the purpose of the question.

Last edited:

Aštra’el

Aštara, Blade of Aštoreth

These are the seven most worshipped deities in my spiritual-religious system.

-The Tiamat archetype represents the primordial waters and primeval chaos, the universe, the most ancient of ancients, the subconscious, the imagination, the raging oceanic abyss before life.

-The Satan archetype represents the inspiration and motivation within to embrace malevolence, maliciousness, immorality, and the temptation to engage in sinister and nefarious behavior... but it also represents Infernal ambition and will to power.

-The Lucifer archetype represents wisdom, enlightenment, sorcery, rebellion, willpower, charisma, otherworldy ambition, and a balance between our Celestial and Infernal Nature.

-The Lilith archetype represents Infernal passion, beauty, pleasure, charisma, manipulation, seduction, and sexual freedom, as well as depravity, deviance, perversion, and corruption.... but also wrath, violence, vengeance and destruction.

-The Ashtoreth archetype represents war and combat, wisdom and strategy, passion and love, willpower, athleticism (strength, speed, stamina, fortitude, athletic and combat-related abilities & techniques), instinct, strategic foresight, controlled and focused ambition, and a balance of our Celestial and Infernal Nature.

-The Mikhael archetype represents compassion, forgiveness, mercy, redemption, deliverance, and Celestial ambition... but also divine justice and righteous war.

-The YHWH archetype represents ultimate Creation, ultimate Destruction, and ultimate Order over ultimate Chaos.

The gods of my pantheon may be viewed as any combination of:

-Energy patterns within the collective human subconscious

-Deific archetypes embodying powerful aspects of human Nature

-Expressions of one's "higher self"

-Tulpas/ Thoughtforms/ unreal mind generated apparitions that embody one's subjective impressions of a deity... which may or may not act as imagined vessels inhabited by actual deific beings

-Celestial or Infernal life forms

-Sentient or non sentient forces of nature or human Nature

-Highly advanced extraterrestrial beings

-Intradimensional beings

Gods can become the source of tremendous inspirational and motivational power, regardless of how we perceive or attempt to perceive them.

By celebrating the gods, and offering tribute to them, and by doing the things they may inspire and motivate us to do, we generate mana for them. Mana does not just make them stronger, it strengthens the connection between the individual and the deity, while also empowering the individual with the prominent attributes of the deity. The more we grow in our connection to a deity, the more we grow in their Nature.

Last edited by a moderator:

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
The trouble with this question is that there is no Paganism (singular, monolithic entity), there are Paganisms (plural, diverse entities). Given Paganisms include polytheistic theologies, to answer the question "what are the gods found in Paganisms" you would need to make a laundry list of every single deity ever experienced or known by humans and put it on the list. In simple terms, every god is a "Pagan" god, or can be incorporated into a polytheist framework. It's kind of how polytheism works by virtue of not being exclusivist in mentality. By extension, this also means that to draw up a list of the nature of the gods and their characteristics, you'd need to make a laundry list of every single characteristic of every deity every experienced or known by humans too, because all of them will apply to some particular god somewhere.

The only caveat I would make to this is that I would exclude anything classical monotheism, because if we start including that in the word "Pagan" we've made it so entirely useless we might as well discard the term entirely. I consider Paganisms by definition polytheist, as do many others.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
I believe in spirits. (Spirits are souls of the deceassed) I am a animist as well. I dont know if there is a difference between spirits and gods

What are the gods (not god) of paganism?
What are the nature of these gods?
What are the charateristics of gods?

Also, same question but replace paganism with polytheist.

Mind you. I know your "god" can be the universe etc. Im referring to god as deities only. Im not going to define gods. Defeats the purpose of the question.
1. There is a difference between spirit and God. Spirit belongs to humans. Gods are eternal powers, that is why they (and the demons too) were called Asuras in Vedic Hinduism, which later merged with the indigenous religions of India, both in time loosing some of their paganism.
2. Never have been counted. We have a few thousand. Many villages have their own Gods/Goddesses.
3. Eternal, capable of changing the working of the world, generally partial to their devotees.

Hindus, IMHO, are pagans and polytheists.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
The trouble with this question is that there is no Paganism (singular, monolithic entity), there are Paganisms (plural, diverse entities). Given Paganisms include polytheistic theologies, to answer the question "what are the gods found in Paganisms" you would need to make a laundry list of every single deity ever experienced or known by humans and put it on the list. In simple terms, every god is a "Pagan" god, or can be incorporated into a polytheist framework. It's kind of how polytheism works by virtue of not being exclusivist in mentality. By extension, this also means that to draw up a list of the nature of the gods and their characteristics, you'd need to make a laundry list of every single characteristic of every deity every experienced or known by humans too, because all of them will apply to some particular god somewhere.

The only caveat I would make to this is that I would exclude anything classical monotheism, because if we start including that in the word "Pagan" we've made it so entirely useless we might as well discard the term entirely. I consider Paganisms by definition polytheist, as do many others.

However true, its not a monotheistic question. For example, there are many many many colors. However, there are a few natures or traits that make what we call color, a color?

Since Im asking about deities (not a specific deity of any paganisms) but plain deity, how would you define the deity.

Better question. Whats the definition of deity in paganisms?

We have a dedinition of color, clothes, traditions, etc. Paganisms shouldnt be an exception, right?

-

Example.

Spirits.

Many african religions see spirits as ancestral
Many also see the spirit as the creation
While many others see spirits as different "persons" of nature

Pantheism (though not a religion) see spirit in all things collectively
Animisg see spirit(s) in all things individually

The list can go on...

But no tradition I know of says spirit is a chair.
Spirit is someone's hair
Spirit is airplane.

There are distinct traits (more than one) that make a spirit, spirit.

Though I cant list all, some traits of spirits are

Souls of our ancestors
Creator of universe (remember, not all one-god traditionsare considered monotheistic. Its a fact.)
Persons or spirits in objects, nature, everywhere

These are traits of spirit but, like you said, I cant list them all but at least some. So...

According to paganisms, what are the traits of deity. Take out monotheism. They have many definitions to so paganisms are not unique in that regard. Monotheists come in all flavors and definitions of deity. How is paganisms special?

Remember, monotheism doesnt have to do with god as a creator nor does god/deity havr to be personal. He doesnt have to be a he. These ars traits.

Last edited:

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member

-The Tiamat archetype represents the primordial waters and primeval chaos, the universe, the most ancient of ancients, the subconscious, the imagination, the raging oceans before life.

-The Satan archetype represents the inspiration and motivation within to embrace malevolence, maliciousness, immorality, and the temptation to engage in sinister and nefarious behavior... but it also represents Infernal ambition and will to power.

-The Lucifer archetype represents wisdom, enlightenment, sorcery, rebellion, willpower, charisma, profound ambition, and a balance between our Celestial and Infernal Nature.

-The Lilith archetype represents Infernal passion, beauty, pleasure, charisma, manipulation, seduction, and sexual freedom, as well as depravity, deviance, perversion, and corruption.... but also wrath, violence, vengeance and destruction.

-The Ashtoreth archetype represents war and combat, wisdom and strategy, passion and love, willpower, athleticism (strength, speed, stamina, fortitude, athletic and combat-related abilities & techniques), instinct, strategic foresight, controlled and focused mbition, and a balance of our Celestial and Infernal Nature.

-The Mikhael archetype represents compassion, forgiveness, mercy, redemption, deliverance, and Celestial ambition... but also divine justice and righteous war.

-The YHWH archetype represents ultimate Creation, ultimate Destruction, and ultimate Order over ultimate Chaos.

-Tulpas/ Thoughtforms/ unreal mind generated apparitions that embody one's subjective impressions of a deity... which may or may not act as imagined vessels inhabited by actual deific beings

-Intradimensional beings

Gods can become the source of tremendous inspirational and motivational power, regardless of how we perceive or attempt to perceive them.

By celebrating the gods, and offering tribute to them, and by doing the things they may inspire and motivate us to do, we generate mana for them. Mana does not just make them stronger, it strengthens the connection between the individual and the deity, while also empowering the individual with the prominent attributes of the deity. The more we grow in our connection to a deity, the more we grow in their Nature.

Thank you. Do you feel some of these traits overlap with other deities in pagan traditions?

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Good answers. Ima clarify the question. I'll use monotheism.

The belief there is only one deity. What is the nature of this deity? What is the definition of it that in general we would say "thats the trait of a deity" in general?

Deity isnt all know. It isnt a creator. It isnt all powerful. These are traits from a specific religious worldview. Here are thousands of traits a deity has in monotheistic religions. Polytheism is no different.

However, I do notice in monotheism there are traits that make a deity a deity. One is its not 100 percent human. We have mythology but as soonas Xena shoots a bolt of lihtening, she is no longer a person. So, human isnt a trait of a deity. Another common trait of a deity-the word-is interaction. In deism there is no personal interaction but because the deity created everything, interaction is through creation (the result of whats created). Let me see, another trait that defines a deity is how it relates or relations to human beings. Ive noticed no deity is a human at all. The relation could be lower, higher, the same, universal, but whether how we identify with it, call it, and/or worship or revere it, the relation is different than youd have with your spouse, child, friend, or stranger.

These are traits if a deity without thinking of specific monotheistic religions.

In polytheism, I would assume there would be the same traits (unless you can think of more) just it would be more than one deity. I dont feel polytheism is special in this regard because both parties have different characteristics of deities based on their thousands of traits.

Im not asking for each paganisms traits of a deity. That would take forever.

Im asking according to paganisms collectively (as sI did above monotheism collectively) are their definintions that defined more than one deity? Are they the same as monotheism (not human. Interaction.) Just more than one? How paganisms special in these regards that it can be answered with one deity religions but not in more than one?

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Since Im asking about deities (not a specific deity of any paganisms) but plain deity, how would you define the deity.

Better question. Whats the definition of deity in paganisms?

There isn't one. Anybody who gives you "the" definition of the gods for Paganisms is taking you for a ride.

We have a dedinition of color, clothes, traditions, etc. Paganisms shouldnt be an exception, right?

It is, given the sheer number of traditions that get smashed into the header "Pagan." Hell, some contemporary Pagans feel that atheism should get included under the Pagan header too, nowadays, meaning we have to include "the definition of deity in Paganisms is deities aren't real" too. It's a bloody mess.

According to paganisms, what are the traits of deity. Take out monotheism. They have many definitions to so paganisms are not unique in that regard. Monotheists come in all flavors and definitions of deity. How is paganisms special?

Well, I can give you my take on how I think Paganisms ought to be defined, but the thing is, this is hardly "the" definition of Paganisms, or of their gods. The term "Pagan" has been and probably always will be a problematic and messy one. It can't be helped when the term originated to describe "anyone who isn't the right flavor of Christian" and is now associated with a new religious movement where there is no vetting process for who gets to use that word or not.

In other words, I'd feel much more comfortable if this was about my theology specifically rather than a vain attempt to capture or speak for all Paganisms on the planet throughout history. I feel that is an impossible task. :sweat:

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Spirits can be souls of different parts of nature and objects. Each spirit is unique. So I cant define Spirit as the same as another. So, its polytheism. Different spirits rather than one.

However, what I call spirit another person calls a deity. Now, I know some monotheistic "religions" traits of deities but I dont know "what" a deity is. Is it a different type of spirit? Does it have a different personality? Im familar with monotheism definition collectively without looking at their different religions, but not paganisms. So, thats why I ask.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
There isn't one. Anybody who gives you "the" definition of the gods for Paganisms is taking you for a ride.

It is, given the sheer number of traditions that get smashed into the header "Pagan." Hell, some contemporary Pagans feel that atheism should get included under the Pagan header too, nowadays, meaning we have to include "the definition of deity in Paganisms is deities aren't real" too. It's a bloody mess.

Well, I can give you my take on how I think Paganisms ought to be defined, but the thing is, this is hardly "the" definition of Paganisms, or of their gods. The term "Pagan" has been and probably always will be a problematic and messy one. It can't be helped when the term originated to describe "anyone who isn't the right flavor of Christian" and is now associated with a new religious movement where there is no vetting process for who gets to use that word or not.

In other words, I'd feel much more comfortable if this was about my theology specifically rather than a vain attempt to capture or speak for all Paganisms on the planet throughout history. I feel that is an impossible task. :sweat:

Yeah.

Its kind of sad, because pagan has so many negative conotations given by those not pagan that without a solid definition of the word in itself makes explaining who we are rather difficult. However, most pagan religions dont consider themselves pagan but Druid, Astru, Lakumi, and so forth. I know my coworker puts them all under one hat as witchcraft, so I gave up trying to explain the regions of the world define and have different forms of practice outside scripture.

As for the word deity(s), Id hope that would be more easier than paganisms. But if a chair can be a deity just as a spirit, then maybe no such word exista.

It's a bloody mess.

Pretty much.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Its kind of sad, because pagan has so many negative conotations given by those not pagan that without a solid definition of the word in itself makes explaining who we are rather difficult.

If we look at the history of the term "pagan" (improper case), it was used as a pejorative originally. It meant "outsider" and included basically anyone who wasn't the right kind of Christian. While it is understood somewhat differently in the modern context, the term is (and will likely continue to be) problematic. A thorough breakdown of Paganisms (proper case, as in the non-pejorative usage which designates religious traditions) is doable, but there's a lot of complexity there. While I've done a lot of study into this with respect to contemporary Paganisms (aka, the new religious movement that hasn't even been around for a century yet), my read of indigenous Paganisms or historical Paganisms is neither systematic nor thorough. I can point to various good works and models to look at for some ideas - works like York's "Pagan Theology" or Kraemer's "Seeking the Mystery: An Introduction to Pagan Theologies" as starting points, but I've found no ending points or definitive "the answer" to the questions you ask.

At any rate, the entire task becomes considerably easier if the discussion is limited solely to contemporary Paganisms (aka, Neopagans), or the new religious movement (NRM) that began around the 1940s or so. That's a story that I know how to tell, if folks really want some explaining of who "we" are. It's a story told much better by folks like Ronald Hutton, Sabrina Magliocco and other academics, though. The really, really short version is to just tell people that the movement largely sprang out of the counterculture movements that were also gathering steam at that time, which means contemporary Paganism is anti-establishment, anti-authoritarian, strongly influenced by feminism and environmentalism, all while drawing inspiration from polytheistic religions of antiquity.

As for the word deity(s), Id hope that would be more easier than paganisms/

It's not. Pagan theology is all over the map. Unsurprising, really, as Paganisms don't emphasize unified dogma, so there is no "theological rule book" of what folks are "supposed to" believe. Truly, I don't much care about defining the gods anyway. It's not as if I can truly know any of that - what's important is that I honor the non-human persons around me, whether I call them "gods" or not. It's about relationships. Which reminds me of this essay I ran into earlier this week: http://www.patheos.com/blogs/johnbeckett/2016/09/my-religion-is-a-religion-of-relationships.html.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Spirits can be souls of different parts of nature and objects. Each spirit is unique. So I cant define Spirit as the same as another. So, its polytheism. Different spirits rather than one.

However, what I call spirit another person calls a deity. Now, I know some monotheistic "religions" traits of deities but I dont know "what" a deity is. Is it a different type of spirit? Does it have a different personality? Im familar with monotheism definition collectively without looking at their different religions, but not paganisms. So, thats why I ask.

These are interesting questions, and ones I've asked myself from time to time. Longer I've been doing this, the more I come to feel that it doesn't really matter. The relationships I have with various things around me don't hinge upon the label I stick on them. That said, I like to use the term "gods" as a way of indicating a relationship of honor and reverence. Gods are that which one worships. It's the "you're awesome" sticker. The "what" involves looking at what the person stuck the sticker on... which can literally be anything.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
If we look at the history of the term "pagan" (improper case), it was used as a pejorative originally. It meant "outsider" and included basically anyone who wasn't the right kind of Christian. While it is understood somewhat differently in the modern context, the term is (and will likely continue to be) problematic. A thorough breakdown of Paganisms (proper case, as in the non-pejorative usage which designates religious traditions) is doable, but there's a lot of complexity there. While I've done a lot of study into this with respect to contemporary Paganisms (aka, the new religious movement that hasn't even been around for a century yet), my read of indigenous Paganisms or historical Paganisms is neither systematic nor thorough. I can point to various good works and models to look at for some ideas - works like York's "Pagan Theology" or Kraemer's "Seeking the Mystery: An Introduction to Pagan Theologies" as starting points, but I've found no ending points or definitive "the answer" to the questions you ask.

At any rate, the entire task becomes considerably easier if the discussion is limited solely to contemporary Paganisms (aka, Neopagans), or the new religious movement (NRM) that began around the 1940s or so. That's a story that I know how to tell, if folks really want some explaining of who "we" are. It's a story told much better by folks like Ronald Hutton, Sabrina Magliocco and other academics, though. The really, really short version is to just tell people that the movement largely sprang out of the counterculture movements that were also gathering steam at that time, which means contemporary Paganism is anti-establishment, anti-authoritarian, strongly influenced by feminism and environmentalism, all while drawing inspiration from polytheistic religions of antiquity.

It's not. Pagan theology is all over the map. Unsurprising, really, as Paganisms don't emphasize unified dogma, so there is no "theological rule book" of what folks are "supposed to" believe. Truly, I don't much care about defining the gods anyway. It's not as if I can truly know any of that - what's important is that I honor the non-human persons around me, whether I call them "gods" or not. It's about relationships. Which reminds me of this essay I ran into earlier this week: http://www.patheos.com/blogs/johnbeckett/2016/09/my-religion-is-a-religion-of-relationships.html.

That's beautiful. I will set this post aside. Thank you.

vaguelyhumanoid

This is the dumbest thing I've ever seen. What are you doing? "Paganisms"? Are there "Christianities" too? Islams? Hinduisms?

I've actually heard of "Christianities", along with "theisms", "feminisms" and "Marxisms". Treating "isms" as countable nouns is semi-common academic parlance - it's arguably pretentious or silly but it definitely happens.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
These are interesting questions, and ones I've asked myself from time to time. Longer I've been doing this, the more I come to feel that it doesn't really matter. The relationships I have with various things around me don't hinge upon the label I stick on them. That said, I like to use the term "gods" as a way of indicating a relationship of honor and reverence. Gods are that which one worships. It's the "you're awesome" sticker. The "what" involves looking at what the person stuck the sticker on... which can literally be anything.

I know I hear gods are which one worships; and, never heard it like this (or just how you phrase it). I like that. I know it doesn't matter; and, do you think there is a difference between gods and deities? Even more so, when I read academic books on Paganisms (actually, that phrase is kind of different) they use gods in the manner of beings/persons/entities (either or/and) rather than adjectives describing objects or persons of worship. So, maybe gods, in that sense, can be interchangeable with deities? Then that begs the question for me now is, what is a god. I know in life it doesn't matter, though I love to ponder. Call me a writer. :kissingheart:

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
I've actually heard of "Christianities", along with "theisms", "feminisms" and "Marxisms". Treating "isms" as countable nouns is semi-common academic parlance - it's arguably pretentious or silly but it definitely happens.

I wish it was more common in popular discourse. Not having certain terms be plural by default lends to people thinking that these various groups are more unified and homogenous than they actually are. Shifting my own usage is something I've been working on, and I notice it helps shift my thinking about these big umbrella groups. It helps me avoid overgeneralizing or oversimplified stereotypes when I remember there really is no such thing as "Christianity" (singular) but a whole crap ton of Christian traditions. Pluralizing is a good mental reminder. All this neither here nor there... lol.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
I know I hear gods are which one worships; and, never heard it like this (or just how you phrase it). I like that. I know it doesn't matter; and, do you think there is a difference between gods and deities? Even more so, when I read academic books on Paganisms (actually, that phrase is kind of different) they use gods in the manner of beings/persons/entities (either or/and) rather than adjectives describing objects or persons of worship. So, maybe gods, in that sense, can be interchangeable with deities? Then that begs the question for me now is, what is a god. I know in life it doesn't matter, though I love to ponder. Call me a writer. :kissingheart:

In common parlance, gods/deities are synonyms I follow that convention, as I've not come up with a compelling reason to do otherwise. This was not always the case for me. Many years ago, I avoided the word "god" like the plague. Because classical monotheism dominates the theological discourse in my country, that word was associated strongly with that god-concept, and that god-concept alone. I already knew I wanted nothing to do with that theology, so I had a very hard time detaching the word "god" from its usage by classical monotheists. I would use the word "spirit" instead, sometimes the word "deity." Eventually I got over that hang-up, and started using the word "god(s)" again. Nowadays I'm pretty indifferent to the terms I use. It's just a word, after all. I rather like the term "theoi," but unless I go Hellenic recon, it feels improper to use that one. :D

VioletVortex

-The Tiamat archetype represents the primordial waters and primeval chaos, the universe, the most ancient of ancients, the subconscious, the imagination, the raging oceanic abyss before life.

-The Lucifer archetype represents wisdom, enlightenment, sorcery, rebellion, willpower, charisma, otherworldy ambition, and a balance between our Celestial and Infernal Nature.

-The Ashtoreth archetype represents war and combat, wisdom and strategy, passion and love, willpower, athleticism (strength, speed, stamina, fortitude, athletic and combat-related abilities & techniques), instinct, strategic foresight, controlled and focused ambition, and a balance of our Celestial and Infernal Nature.

-Intradimensional beings

It's nice to see some recognition of Satanism as a form of Paganism.