• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What are the differences between Iranis and Parsis?

ronki23

I heard that although both are Zoroastrian and emigrated to India, they are different tribes/cultures and genetically are different. Is this true?

MD

qualiaphile
Parsis were the first migrants to India, they came over 1000 years ago although I think there were other migrations. Parsis have some Indian admixture, about 25% on the maternal side.

Iranis were more recent migrants from Iran, escaping Qajar persecution. They came towards the end of the 19th century and early 20th century. Most of them have mixed with Parsis by now and have been absorbed by the greater Parsi community. The distinction is only seen in last names, but everyone identifies as Parsi.

ronki23

Parsis were the first migrants to India, they came over 1000 years ago although I think there were other migrations. Parsis have some Indian admixture, about 25% on the maternal side.

Iranis were more recent migrants from Iran, escaping Qajar persecution. They came towards the end of the 19th century and early 20th century. Most of them have mixed with Parsis by now and have been absorbed by the greater Parsi community. The distinction is only seen in last names, but everyone identifies as Parsi.

So Parsis have Indian blood whereas Iranis don't necessarily? I thought Zoroastrians don't like marrying outside of their religion so why is there a mix?

The Emperor of Mankind

Currently the galaxy's spookiest paraplegic
So Parsis have Indian blood whereas Iranis don't necessarily? I thought Zoroastrians don't like marrying outside of their religion so why is there a mix?

Zoroastrians don't like marrying out of their religion because in some communities for a child to be considered Zoroastrian, both parents need to follow the Good Religion. Just one Zoroastrian parent isn't enough. Other reasons are:
  • Particularly among the Parsis in India, one of the terms of their being granted asylum from the Islamisation of Persia was the King of Gujarat (who took them in) forbade them from intermarrying with Indians;
  • Marrying those of an outside faith might put pressure on a Zoroastrian to convert to that new faith. Islam in particular is a prominent example of this but I doubt it's the only one;
  • The overall trend of the global Zoroastrian population is one of decline. Coupled with the fact many communities forbid new converts, this general frowning on marrying out of the faith is an attempt to stave off a free-falling decline.

InquisitiveScholar

Wanting to learn it all..
In response to you Greased Scotsman, while the Eastern traditions of Zoroastrianism don't look towards converts, the western tradition is much more open and willing. That being said, the lack of proselytizing had not helped the decline of the faith. However there is still hope for the faith. I hear that Zoroastrianism is on the rise in Muslim nations due to the violence and conflict caused by the IS. Hopefully something good can come of all this senseless violence, like the saving of an amazing faith.