• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What are the chances?

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
Has it occurred to anyone that,

If Christianity is right, 5,000,000,000 humans on this planet are wrong?
If Islam is right, 5,500,000,000 humans on this planet are wrong?
If Hinduism is right, 6,000,000,000 humans on this planet are wrong?
If there is no god, 6,000,000,000 humans on this planet are wrong?

Now, out of honesty, I have to admit that if atheism is right, then it's even worse, because 6,500,000,000 humans on this planet are wrong.

What a conundrum!

I wonder why all those people, with all their sincere beliefs, can be so confident that they're right? What are the chances?

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member

Now, out of honesty, I have to admit that if atheism is right, then it's even worse, because 6,500,000,000 humans on this planet are wrong.

What a conundrum!

I wonder why all those people, with all their sincere beliefs, can be so confident that they're right? What are the chances?

We can consider they are all right, but that we just need a new frame of reference, then bingo.

Regards Tony

Last edited:

ratiocinator

Lightly seared on the reality grill.
We can consider they are all right, but that we just need a new frame of reference, then bingo.
....or everyone's right...;)

This is simply impossible because the beliefs are often contradictory and many of them explicitly include the doctrine that everybody else is wrong.

Saying everybody is right is actually making up another religion.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
This is simply impossible because the beliefs are often contradictory and many of them explicitly include the doctrine that everybody else is wrong.

Saying everybody is right is actually making up another religion.

It was a sort of Aristotelian reasoning. If everybody is equally wrong, it means everyone is right. In terms of equality.

Salty Booger

Royal Crown Cola (RC)

What if they are all right but just have a different view of the same thing?

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
It's My Birthday!

What a conundrum!

I'll take my chances of being right, i have not seen anything to chance my mind but if i am wrong it will be more of a surprise than a disappointment

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member

What a conundrum!

Back in the 1970s, I invented the field of probabilistic religion analysis.
I vaguely recall the probability of them getting it right as being less
than 0.01%. The probability of agnostics being right was 100%.
And strong atheists....the figure was indeterminate.
I'd show my math, but it's far to advanced even for @Polymath257.

Hellbound Serpiente

What a conundrum!

Yes, this has occurred to me. And not just that, even billions and billions more of the past [with different beliefs] who are no longer with us. By the end of all in the future [if that happens], make it zillions (rough estimate).

Which is why I don't think it's wise to believe in things with religious tenacity and just don't be a zealous bigot, no matter how perceptually accurate your beliefs may appear to you. This is why I always deal with beliefs in terms of how probable they are to be justified and true in the real world. I always think in terms in probabilities, not surety like many people [especially religious people] do. Even my most well-founded, grounded in reality, heavy-weighed opinions are open to further assessment, and I never think of them as "right". I don't consider my beliefs in terms of "right" and "wrong", but rather what makes sense and what appears to be true TO ME at this particular period of my life. In the future, they could very well be proven wrong.

The problem I feel that many people have that is they think that reality is perfectly as they believe it to be it is. That's just downright arrogance and self-deceit of the ego. Egoistic people believes world revolves them, not the other way around. And ego is a falsifier. Their egos makes them to see the world with their own idealized, narrow lenses, and anything that doesn't fit the lenses with which they tend to view the narrow-scope of their idealized reality is just downright discarded and/or distorted and twisted to fit their personal lenses.

By the end of it all, I don't think that it is Muslims, Christians, Jews, Atheists, Hindus etc. that would be proven wrong, but rather egoistic people that would be proven wrong, whether those egoistic people subscribe to Islam, Christianity, Judaism, Science, Hinduism etc.

pearl

By the end of it all, I don't think that it is Muslims, Christians, Jews, Atheists, Hindus etc. that would be proven wrong, but rather egoistic people that would be proven wrong, whether those egoistic people subscribe to Islam, Christianity, Judaism, Science, Hinduism etc.

I agree. Whether what we believe is 'truth' or not will not be determined on this side of death. Only after death is it verifiable.

Brian2

Veteran Member

What a conundrum!

Of course atheists, as I have heard, have no sincere beliefs about there being no God, they just lack a belief in God/s.
But their lack of belief may be sincere.
We can be all so confident because of confirmation bias, the chance of confidence may be close to 100%. Not a full 100% because not all people are that confident about their belief or lack thereof imo

paarsurrey

Veteran Member

What a conundrum!

Well, I suggest that to lessen the conundrum, and one is a sincere person, one should quit "no-religion" forthwith and join some good religion following the "Religious Method", please. There is no compulsion, however, it all depends on one's fair approach, if at all, please. Right friend , please?
As for Islam to which I belong, it is going to be the largest Religion, if other things remain the same, as is being predicted in very near future, I understand; and after some centuries it will fast clear this one's "conundrum", please. Right friend, please?

Regards

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
The chance of me being right or wrong on a certain issue has far more to do with my methods than with the number of people who might agree or disagree with me.