• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What are the best tools to help a person to study the Bible?

sense12

with lots of people having different interpretations of reading stories of the Bible and many different religions stemming from the Bible what are the best tools to help a person get a better understanding of the bible

InChrist

Free4ever
with lots of people having different interpretations of reading stories of the Bible and many different religions stemming from the Bible what are the best tools to help a person get a better understanding of the bible
I would suggest first seeking God as the best study tool with a desire for His will rather than a spiritual experience, along with asking Jesus to be your Savior and forgive your sins. Until a person is saved by Jesus Christ and born again the Bible will not be understood. Jesus is the Word, the scriptures are His Words. If He is your Savior ask Him to guide your reading and give you insight, discernment, and understanding as you read and study.

Last edited:

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
The best tool would be using your own mind with the ability for a healthy dose of critical thinking and skepticism.

nPeace

Veteran Member
I would say, the tools Jesus recommend.
God's word - the scriptures themselves - John 17:3, 17, and prayer for help - Matthew 7:7-11. Then accept the help when it comes, by having a humble and honest heart.

Oeste

Good advise from @InChrist and @nPeace. Grab you bible and start reading.
I started from the New Testament then eased my way back to the Old. You may want to start from Genesis or just open it up and start reading from wherever you land.

It's a lot of reading. You may want to do a chapter or two at a time. Some book are easier to get through than others. Incorporating prayer is important.

@Nowhere Man gives good advise for any study aides you may pick up along the way.The Spirit will guide you to what you need, just be aware your road may not always be a straight path.

Faithofchristian

The best tools in helping to study the Bible are these 3
1- the KJV 1611
2- The Strong's concordance of the Greek and Hebrew language
3 - The Companion bible and the appendix
Which has the Greek and Hebrew language into English language.

Click on the links blow

The Companion Bible in KJV: E. W. Bullinger - in-depth Bible Study Resource Free [in PDF(not scan copy)]

Appendixes to The Companion Bible

Last edited:

74x12

You do need the guidance of God so prayer is key to understanding the scriptures. And receiving the holy Spirit ...

Also, even if you do have the Spirit already what else is key -- and many people; even Spirit filled people -- miss out on is patience and willingness to admit when you don't know the answer and you're fine with not knowing until you get a real explanation. A lot of people impatiently fix their own meaning to a verse or scripture passage that they don't understand. They're basically cutting off their opportunity to learn the true meaning --which is often deep and not quickly understood-- by their impatience.

Good things come to those who wait and hope in the Lord. When you're patient with God's Word and trust God to eventually show you the deeper things in it. You will be amazed at what you learn.

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
A Bible in language you can easily understand, and a good, general commentary. Harper Collins is a good place to start.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
focus to the parables of the Carpenter
the teachings are sufficient

Finding a version that fits your reading comprehension skills.

sense12

sense12

You do need the guidance of God so prayer is key to understanding the scriptures. And receiving the holy Spirit ...

Also, even if you do have the Spirit already what else is key -- and many people; even Spirit filled people -- miss out on is patience and willingness to admit when you don't know the answer and you're fine with not knowing until you get a real explanation. A lot of people impatiently fix their own meaning to a verse or scripture passage that they don't understand. They're basically cutting off their opportunity to learn the true meaning --which is often deep and not quickly understood-- by their impatience.

Good things come to those who wait and hope in the Lord. When you're patient with God's Word and trust God to eventually show you the deeper things in it. You will be amazed at what you learn.
thank you

Nova2216

A computer with "POWER BIBLE" and "INSTAVERSE" on it.

I think the best translations to use are the KJV / NKJV / ASV.

Buy A Franklin Pocket Bible (Used $25..00 or New for $80.00)

Beware of any bible with mans written comments.

Do away with all creed-books.

Use the NT as your only spiritual guide.

BeingSaved.org

What Must I Do To Be Saved?

Last edited:

VoidoftheSun

Necessary Heretical, Fundamentally Orthodox

Probably comparative translation and an interlinear system that relates the texts to it's original language.
Also placing the texts in their historical context, not on later Church dogmas and doctrines.
The text comes so much more alive when you do that.

Aside from that, there is no easy way. I read a lot of scholarship though from varying positions (as I do with most subjects).

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member

IMHO, no doubt at all, the explanations given in the Kitab-i-Iqan by Baha'u'llah are the keys to understanding the Bible.

Others will see it differently and that is the quandary you will have, when asking such a question.

Regards Tony

e.r.m.

Church of Christ
Seeking original intent of the written text.
It is harder than one may think.

Super Universe

Defender of God

The best tool is to understand people. Once you understand people, then you can understand why the primitive humans thought it was all about them.

Rise

Blueletterbible and Biblehub are pretty good free online resources for helping to understand the original words behind a language and alternative translations. You could pay a lot to get more features out of some programs, but I'd give the free stuff a try and wait until you feel like you need to go deeper than what they offer.

The various commentaries of individuals can sometimes help because they've done research into aspects of history, culture, language, and tradition, which can aid in understanding the context of the verse. In some cases I believe they have insight by the Holy Spirit into the meaning of a verse, but in other times it's just their own idea. Biblehub has some of the open source ones on it's website. Some programs will have a more comphrensive commentary and resource archive.

They might not all have the right theological conclusions, because in some cases their conclusions came out of their own mind rather than by the Holy Spirit, but their writings can still convey useful factual information about the verses.

cataway

my self i was given something called the truth book . it really opened my eyes to the truths in the bible and the lies the churches are telling