• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What are the best arguments in favor of theism and against atheism?

Lorgar-Aurelian

I have already stated my concept of god, e=mc2, you exist therefore omnipotent god's can't, end of story

Now all you have to do is prove Einstein wrong.
Einstein wasn't always right you know. It sounds like deification to a certain point to suggest proving Einstein wrong would be impossible.

Lorgar-Aurelian

Belief creates life, hope, and simple nirvana. Dis-Belief is the lack of these things.
How did you come to this conclusion?
"Faith is the soul of any army; be it vested in primitive religion or enlightened truth. It makes even the least soldier mighty, the craven is remade worthy and through its balm any hardship may be endured. Faith ennobles all of the worlds the soldier undertakes be they so base or vile, and imports to them the golden spark of transcendent purpose."
— Lorgar Aurelian, Primarch of the Word Bearers

Lorgar-Aurelian

I've just read through this entire thread and have not seen anything like a convincing argument for any god.

It is true that a definition is required, but that is down to those who propose the existence of a god/some gods. I consider myself to be an atheist because I have never been presented with a definition and argument for any gods that isn't obviously flawed (leaving aside some odd definitions of 'god' that are pretty much synonymous with the universe or a physical object).

I cannot rule out that, in the whole of reality, there might exist something that would fit somebody's definition of a god, but is there nobody who can provide any evidence or reasoning to take the notion out of the merely possible (along with all sorts of other unfalsifiable mythology) and into the probable?
Judging from the threat it doesn't really seem like it.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Einstein wasn't always right you know. It sounds like deification to a certain point to suggest proving Einstein wrong would be impossible.

I shall rephrase, prove Einstein's mass energy equivalence formula wrong. I thought that would have been fairly easy to comprehend considering that's what i was talking about

Lorgar-Aurelian

I shall rephrase, prove Einstein's mass energy equivalence formula wrong. I thought that would have been fairly easy to comprehend considering that's what i was talking about
That is more like it! But no essentially it seems like a lot of people are just pull things out of their *** on this thread. I want to be polite but it seems like everyone in favor of a God is just throwing things at the wall and hoping they stick.

ratiocinator

Lightly seared on the reality grill.
String theory and m theory are theoretical frameworks that describe how one dimensional strings propagate through multidimensional dimensional space, they are theories of quantum gravity.
I know what they are. There are alternatives - loop quantum gravity, for example. No theory of quantum gravity has, as yet, any supporting evidence.

omega2xx

Actually i have researched and understand the bible better than most Christians, i have assisted in cataloguing and compiling data about the bible (new testament,) that has been used in at least 5 books that i know on the subject. As far as the ot is concerned, maybe you haven't actually read it.

If you are not a Christian, you might understand some of the literal truths, but you do not understands the spiritual truths---Cor 2:14. To understand the Bible requires study, not cataloguing and compiling data.

Nope, string and m theory are quantum physics. Unless of course you can provide validated proof of your objectional claim.

Physics can be proven and string theory is still a thory and IMO, not a very good one.

Whether it is possible to obtain a perfect vacuum is moot in this universe. To have a space without dimensions and through which photons cannot pass represents an impossible scenario in a multidimensional space which contains light.

Not from what I have read, which is very little and nothing recently. Anyone who thinks nothing can be the source of someething is living in lala land.

As to pre universe, your conjecture is noted and chuckled at.

I haven't mentioned a pre universe, so the laugh is on you.

To the average person It might seem obvious that nothing can happen in nothing, but to a quantum physist, nothing is, in fact something---Brad Lemly

ChristineM

Premium Member
That is more like it! But no essentially it seems like a lot of people are just pull things out of their *** on this thread. I want to be polite but it seems like everyone in favor of a God is just throwing things at the wall and hoping they stick.

Good job I'm not in favour of a god or gods then, except perhaps the fsm, may his noodly reign on my table forever.

And of course Anoia, Anoia - Discworld & Terry Pratchett Wiki

ChristineM

Premium Member
If you ask me a question, I missed it. Ask again and I will answer.

I am not here to do your work for you, ever heard of the back button? Really quite simple for you to backtrack if you really want to redress your nonsense

ChristineM

Premium Member
If you are not a Christian, you might understand some of the literal truths, but you do not understands the spiritual truths---Cor 2:14. To understand the Bible requires study, not cataloguing and compiling data.

You did not place "Truths" in quotes and capitalise it in order to distinguish it from real truth.

What are spiritual "Truths"?

Truth : noun- that which is true or in accordance with fact or reality.

The bible requires reading, not cherry picking the bits that suite your faith and ignoring the rest.

ratiocinator

Lightly seared on the reality grill.
But the real biggy as far as an omnipitent god is concerned is E=MC2, matter exists, therefore energy cannot be infinite.
Sorry, but this is simply a non sequitur. E = mc² does not tell us how much energy or mass there is in total - either one or both could be infinite without violating the relationship.

ChristineM

Premium Member

Yes

Omnipotence is infinite power, power is energy over time, we know
time is not infinite, in fact it is questionable whether time, as generally defined exists. Therefore, for omnipotence, energy must be infinite. Mass and energy are the same thing, mass exists therefore enertgy is not infinite, so revelation 19:6 in conjunction with e=mc2 proves no omnipotent god exists.

You may not agree, your agreement is not required.