• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What are the best arguments in favor of theism and against atheism?

omega2xx

What arguments do you believe point to there being a God or gods and why do you think this makes more sense than the idea that there are no gods? I am personally a non-believer but I would greatly like to hear arguments against this position and possibly find a religion that at least makes sense.

I would like to hear actual arguments though. Lets keep off saying "ATheism is just dumb!" and the reverse. People come to their own beliefs for a large variety of reasons and you shouldn't just call them dumb for having said beliefs. Even if you think the beliefs themselves are pretty dumb.

Last thing, if you favor monotheism or polytheism or pantheism or non theism please be sure to include specifics of why you favor one version over another.

Matter, energy and life cannot create it self out of nothing.

I prefer monotheism because one omnipotent God is enough, and the Bible teaches monotheism.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
What arguments do you believe point to there being a God or gods and why do you think this makes more sense than the idea that there are no gods? I am personally a non-believer but I would greatly like to hear arguments against this position and possibly find a religion that at least makes sense.

I would like to hear actual arguments though. Lets keep off saying "ATheism is just dumb!" and the reverse. People come to their own beliefs for a large variety of reasons and you shouldn't just call them dumb for having said beliefs. Even if you think the beliefs themselves are pretty dumb.

Last thing, if you favor monotheism or polytheism or pantheism or non theism please be sure to include specifics of why you favor one version over another.

The only arguments for a god or gods are superstition and faith.

However, I can count many arguments and evidence's to say there are no gods.

ChristineM

Premium Member
Matter, energy and life cannot create it self out of nothing.

I prefer monotheism because one omnipotent God is enough, and the Bible teaches monotheism.

So the Bible is wrong? It says exactly that in the second verse of the OT

No one said "universe from nothing" except tongue in cheek and creationists who don't understand. Lawrence Krauss's book of the title submits a quantum cause.

ChristineM

Premium Member
Such as?
Oh and welcome aboard.

Cheers, I'm ex topix who have seen fit to bar all none north American member's from posting.

Such as... Gods being the most disproven concept in the history of humanity. Literally billions of attempts over more than 10,000 years to show a god exists have failed. All it would take is one success to refute this proof by exhaustion.

On a lesser scale, childhood leukemia (etc) shows no caring god exists.

The mosquito shows no designer god exists

The futility of prayer shows no listening god exists

But the real biggy as far as an omnipitent god is concerned is E=MC2, matter exists, therefore energy cannot be infinite. Omnipotence is infinite power, power is energy expended over time. If energy is not infinite then no god (if such exists) can be omnipotent.

Lorgar-Aurelian

Cheers, I'm ex topix who have seen fit to bar all none north American member's from posting.

Such as... Gods being the most disproven concept in the history of humanity. Literally billions of attempts over more than 10,000 years to show a god exists have failed. All it would take is one success to refute this proof by exhaustion.

On a lesser scale, childhood leukemia (etc) shows no caring god exists.

The mosquito shows no designer god exists

The futility of prayer shows no listening god exists

But the real biggy as far as an omnipitent god is concerned is E=MC2, matter exists, therefore energy cannot be infinite. Omnipotence is infinite power, power is energy expended over time. If energy is not infinite then no god (if such exists) can be omnipotent.

I honestly feel like a lot of this is more of an argument that god is a dick.

omega2xx

So the Bible is wrong? It says exactly that in the second verse of the OT.

No it doesn't and the first verse says God did it.

No one said "universe from nothing" except tongue in cheek and creationists who don't understand.

They imply matter and energy originated from nothing or that it was eternal.

Lawrence Krauss's book of the title submits a quantum cause.

What does he say and what scientific evidence does he offer?

ChristineM

Premium Member

So you won't answer the question but instead pose another, irrelevant question to divert from the fact that you don't know your own bible

However, if you want an a answer to your irrelevant question i suggest you first learn some quantum string/m theory.

Sanmario

Dear Lorgar, you have a very promising thread because you want to know in effect how to prove to yourself God exists.

My observation is that with atheists they don't want to know at all how to prove God exists, they just keep on and on with the declaration that there is no evidence, period - that is a sensible position, though.

But what is not sensible is that they will at all never want to talk about what is evidence, what is the the target of evidence, and how does evidence hit its target.

I am very excited to work with you so that you will come to the certainty that God exists.

First, tell me if you care at all, what do you think is the best argument from atheists that God does not exist/

I assume that you have read arguments socalled, from atheists on why there is no God.

If you tell me that you don't know any at all, and that is why you want to know how to prove to yourself Gold exists, very good: at least you want to know.

Okay, here goes, how to prove to yourself God exists:

1. Do you at all have any concept of God?

You know, if you don't have any concept of God at all, then and bear with me, you are being irrational i.e. unreasonable to ask how to prove to yourself God exists; why you irrational?

Simple, because as you don't have any concept of God at all, you will not know He is present to you, even though He is just beside you or even all over you inside and outside.

Take this illustration: If you don't know what is a woman, even though one is facing you all naked like an infant just born, totally naked, and you are not blind, will you know that it is a woman facing you - I assume you are a guy, i.e. male.

So, in just 50 words or less, tell me what is your concept of God if you have one at all, even how crude.

You see, I intend to guide you step by step to come to the certainty that God exists, so if you cooperate you will certainly come to the truth, the fact, and the logic that God exists.

Don't run away now.

ChristineM

Premium Member
Dear Lorgar, you have a very promising thread because you want to know in effect how to prove to yourself God exists.

My observation is that with atheists they don't want to know at all how to prove God exists, they just keep on and on with the declaration that there is no evidence, period - that is a sensible position, though.

But what is not sensible is that they will at all never want to talk about what is evidence, what is the the target of evidence, and how does evidence hit its target.

I am very excited to work with you so that you will come to the certainty that God exists.

First, tell me if you care at all, what do you think is the best argument from atheists that God does not exist/

I assume that you have read arguments socalled, from atheists on why there is no God.

If you tell me that you don't know any at all, and that is why you want to know how to prove to yourself Gold exists, very good: at least you want to know.

Okay, here goes, how to prove to yourself God exists:

1. Do you at all have any concept of God?

You know, if you don't have any concept of God at all, then and bear with me, you are being irrational i.e. unreasonable to ask how to prove to yourself God exists; why you irrational?

Simple, because as you don't have any concept of God at all, you will not know He is present to you, even though He is just beside you or even all over you inside and outside.

Take this illustration: If you don't know what is a woman, even though one is facing you all naked like an infant just born, totally naked, and you are not blind, will you know that it is a woman facing you - I assume you are a guy, i.e. male.

So, in just 50 words or less, tell me what is your concept of God if you have one at all, even how crude.

You see, I intend to guide you step by step to come to the certainty that God exists, so if you cooperate you will certainly come to the truth, the fact, and the logic that God exists.

Don't run away now.

And how, in any way whatsoever, does that... "prove to yourself God exists:"

Sanmario

"And how, in any way whatsoever, does that... "prove to yourself God exists…"

Do you care to talk about what it is to prove something to exist outside of concepts in our mind and independent of our mind?

For example, how do we prove that the nose in our face exists?

You see, dear Christine, are you now working to come to a concept of God however crude, please do that, and also of course work on what it is to prove that something at all exists in objective reality outside and independent of our mind.

Or do you prefer that I talk to you about what to my observation and reason and conclusion what is the concept of God? And also what it is prove that something at all exists independently of our mind?

I propose that as you do care to know how to prove God to exist, it is logical that first you have a concept of God.

The observation of yours truly is that atheists never care to be logically systematic, they keep on jumping from one thought to another one, because they do not care to ascertain the truth, the fact, and the logic in any issue: that is their strategy to not know that God exists, namely, to muddle up the issue and in effect never get themselves focused on the issue itself of God exists or not..

So, you now bring g up the issue what it is to prove that something exists, and we have not yet occurred on the concept of God.

Concentrate on one issue at a time, best in accordance with what should come first in logic with an issue, like for example with the issue God exists or not, the first thing is to come to concur on the idea of God: for if we do not have a concurred on idea of God, but we want to work as to concur on what it is to prove that something at all exists, that is not so logical, because there are several ways of proving something to exist, and each thing requires its own peculiar concentration.

Anyway, I can already predict that you will bring up another issue when you write your next post to react to my thinking here.

Dear readers here, let us sit back and witness what Christine will go into now.

Annex​

Lorgar-Aurelian said:

Sanmario

Dear readers here, beware of posters who instead of addressing the issue in precise, concise, simple language immediately understood by literate folks, they are into parading their self-gratifying but irrelevant learning, with dropping terms like naturalism, or names like Hume.

ChristineM

Premium Member
"And how, in any way whatsoever, does that... "prove to yourself God exists…"

Do you care to talk about what it is to prove something to exist outside of concepts in our mind and independent of our mind?

For example, how do we prove that the nose in our face exists?

You see, dear Christine, are you now working to come to a concept of God however crude, please do that, and also of course work on what it is to prove that something at all exists in objective reality outside and independent of our mind.

Or do you prefer that I talk to you about what to my observation and reason and conclusion what is the concept of God? And also what it is prove that something at all exists independently of our mind?

I propose that as you do care to know how to prove God to exist, it is logical that first you have a concept of God.

The observation of yours truly is that atheists never care to be logically systematic, they keep on jumping from one thought to another one, because they do not care to ascertain the truth, the fact, and the logic in any issue: that is their strategy to not know that God exists, namely, to muddle up the issue and in effect never get themselves focused on the issue itself of God exists or not..

So, you now bring g up the issue what it is to prove that something exists, and we have not yet occurred on the concept of God.

Concentrate on one issue at a time, best in accordance with what should come first in logic with an issue, like for example with the issue God exists or not, the first thing is to come to concur on the idea of God: for if we do not have a concurred on idea of God, but we want to work as to concur on what it is to prove that something at all exists, that is not so logical, because there are several ways of proving something to exist, and each thing requires its own peculiar concentration.

Anyway, I can already predict that you will bring up another issue when you write your next post to react to my thinking here.

Dear readers here, let us sit back and witness what Christine will go into now.

Annex​

Lorgar-Aurelian said:

So we have yet another one who refuses to answer the question. How does your post, in any way prove god? You have proven one thing though, you really don't think here..?

Unlike Einsteins mass energy equivalence formula that proves the god of revelation 19:6, KJV cannot exist in this universe at the same time as you.

And proof by exhaustion, played out over 1000s of years

Btw honey, childish attempts at sarcasm are really quite a pathetic way to boost your ego, don't you think?

ChristineM

Premium Member
Dear readers here, beware of posters who instead of addressing the issue in precise, concise, simple language immediately understood by literate folks, they are into parading their self-gratifying but irrelevant learning, with dropping terms like naturalism, or names like Hume.

Physician, heal thyself