• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What are the best arguments in favor of theism and against atheism?

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
that's a HUGE issue, since people may corrupt religion
And yet religion is supposed to protect people from corruption.

In any case, you are reinforcing my case.

Corrupt answers are indeed possible when theism is not properly taken care of.

And they do in fact happen, often and wide, and a lot of real, serious damage they cause.

Atheism ... does not offer anything in the way of comparable dangers. Simple as that.

Kelly of the Phoenix

My best example is from Isaiah, who prophesied over two-hundred years before the fact, that at some future time, the Israelite nation will be in captivity, but will be released by a foreign power to return to Israel to rebuild the temple, and the city walls of Jerusalem.
Hebrews/Israelites/Jews had a revolving door of kingdoms/empires ruling over them. It's about like prophesying that winter will follow summer.

God in concept is first and foremost the creator and operator of the universe and man and everything with a beginning.
Which one? Yahweh was but one of a small family of gods "in the beginning". He was a sea god with a violent attitude. He was brother in law to Baal and all the kids considered El their Father, who was easily more powerful than any of them even though He was basically retired.

It is true that a definition is required, but that is down to those who propose the existence of a god/some gods.
There are many cultural definitions, but I would posit that a god is essentially Someone or Something that can change some natural process due to inherent "biology", something a human can't do, like, I dunno, making it rain or something.

Like, the Q in Star Trek can do things associated with "gods". Trelane, from the Original Series, is considered in books to be a Q but it's arguable since he had to use technology, though at the end of the episode, his parents come to get him and they don't seem to share his limitations, so maybe he's just a baby omnipotent being or something like a Squib from Harry Potter (someone born in a magical family but has no powers personally). Q (the John DeLancie one) lost his powers once and told the Enterprise to "just change the gravity coefficient", which Data says they can't do. Q was frustrated because if he had his powers, he could just change the rules of reality all willy-nilly as that was part of his nature.

So, long story short, a god can do things humans or other mortals can't in terms of changing things about reality or nature without tech cheats.

I have checked mine and I did not find that evidence.
Your DNA shows you are made of dirt?

Yes, the Primal Cause by definition is the One Who caused the Universe to exist.
Who said the Primary Cause must be a "Who"?

The only thing you have proved is that you don't have what it takes to discuss the existence of the Primal Cause with a Jew.
LOL, a Jew who takes some stupid ancient Greek philosophy a bit too seriously.

atheism doesn't answer why everything happened. atheism is like having no purpose in life. why we exist? atheists will say ''I don't know''.
But how does making up answers make it better? If you have a cut on your arm, do you want to make up stories about it or get it treated by someone who was trained in the how's and why's of it?

Animals have instinct, not Freewill. Freewill is of the realm of the mind.
My pets are more than willing to disobey me, which means they have "free will", right?

syo

But how does making up answers make it better? If you have a cut on your arm, do you want to make up stories about it or get it treated by someone who was trained in the how's and why's of it?
there are philosophical questions. there aren't exclusively questions about practical matters only. theism can answer philosophical questions and the answers are not made up. there is logic hidden in those answers.

locowood

What arguments do you believe point to there being a God or gods and why do you think this makes more sense than the idea that there are no gods?
For me, there are so many repetitions in the world/universe and so much logic in the way things work, I find it easier to believe in intelligent design. But if you want to use quantum theories, you can have it both ways simultaneously.
God does and does not exist. Schrödinger's cat.
The Abrahamic religions are all based on Judaism. And the first laws say that "you should put no other God before Yahweh".The wording doesn't actually say there ARE no other gods. It says none are higher than Yahweh. And if you look at the tree of life in Judaism, then you see that God has many aspects. Like the Hindu god Brahma.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
theists who fight with each other, they abuse god. it's wrong. they don't want to be productive.
Yet it happens. If sincere believers can disagree on fundamental issues, doesn't this suggest that God's commands aren't clear?

syo

Yet it happens. If sincere believers can disagree on fundamental issues, doesn't this suggest that God's commands aren't clear?
that's the point god doesn't command. god doesn't force his presense or his will on people that's why there are atheists and MANY religions, not just one religion. sincere believers of PRIESTS obey PRIESTS commands and they think they are commands from god. yeah right.

Sha'irullah

رسول الآلهة
I wouldn't call it theism but more like metaphysical LARPing. I can prove that gods are relevant in the history of mankind and the benefits of theism as a whole. Obviously I won't ignore the downsides either.
But archaically gods were prescribed to real things and used to define their attributes like natural elements, natural events along with human progress. Along comes Abrahamic monotheism and things change.
If going by classical definitions then proof of a god is absolute purely through semantics